How to distinguish è é e ê

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Re: How to distinguish è é e ê

Postby Le Baron » Sun May 22, 2022 2:25 pm

tractor wrote:Well, you're the one who chose to follow up on my one line comment:

Le Baron wrote:
tractor wrote:Still, it makes more sense than English spelling.

Does it though? English spelling is wayward and unreformed, but at least you can hear the endings and it has no diacritics.

Maybe you should have a look in the mirror before complaining about a lack of good faith and whataboutery.

Really? On what grounds? You seem to have a problem with me rather than the topic. Perhaps you could move it over to a PM for a chat rather it being a tedious spectacle for everyone?
0 x

tractor
Green Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English, Spanish, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Latin

Postby tractor » Sun May 22, 2022 2:31 pm

Again: Have a look in the mirror.
0 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Sun May 22, 2022 2:32 pm

tractor wrote:Again: Have a look in the mirror.

Therefore you have nothing, but a petulant complaint? Pipe down.
0 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Sun May 22, 2022 3:52 pm

Le Baron wrote:
tractor wrote:Well, you're the one who chose to follow up on my one line comment:

Le Baron wrote:
tractor wrote:Still, it makes more sense than English spelling.

Does it though? English spelling is wayward and unreformed, but at least you can hear the endings and it has no diacritics.

Maybe you should have a look in the mirror before complaining about a lack of good faith and whataboutery.

Really? On what grounds? You seem to have a problem with me rather than the topic. Perhaps you could move it over to a PM for a chat rather it being a tedious spectacle for everyone?

You didn't exactly de-escalate things though, did you? You can't have it both ways -- either it's off-topic and no-one including yourself should be talking about it, or it's on-topic and you can join in.

Personally, I think it's on-topic, although I don't think tractor brought it in in the best way.

I think there's genuine value to learners in effectively saying "you've already handled worse", and I tend to do so whenever anyone who speaks English says they're struggling with the lack of logic in another language they're learning. But fair enough -- tractor didn't explicitly do that.
1 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Sun May 22, 2022 4:38 pm

Cainntear wrote:You didn't exactly de-escalate things though, did you? You can't have it both ways -- either it's off-topic and no-one including yourself should be talking about it, or it's on-topic and you can join in.

Personally, I think it's on-topic, although I don't think tractor brought it in in the best way.

I think there's genuine value to learners in effectively saying "you've already handled worse", and I tend to do so whenever anyone who speaks English says they're struggling with the lack of logic in another language they're learning. But fair enough -- tractor didn't explicitly do that.

I think I did actually attempt to de-escalate it, before it was even escalated and later a request for a chat.

Funny video about French, me reacting to funny video, then unnecessary comparison regarding English spelling being 'worse' (and with what motivation? As if I was trying to bring down French or something. Absurd). That's the order of events. Then me saying calm down because it was just about poking gentle fun at the French sound system. I shouldn't have even engaged with the introduction of English as some trump card because it was irrelevant and not 'on topic' at all. The title of the thread is pretty clear.

There is no 'both ways'. If you're planning on replying with some shape-shifting observation about this, please don't bother.
0 x

tractor
Green Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English, Spanish, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Latin

Postby tractor » Sun May 22, 2022 5:35 pm

I didn't think you were trying to bring French down. I agree, that would be absurd. With my initial comment, I only meant to say that despite it's complexity, French spelling is not as complicated and irregular as English spelling. It was not meant as an attack on the English language or on English speakers, if that's what you believe. I should probably have chosen a better wording, or just kept the comment to myself. You complain about English spelling being off topic, yet you have answered several posts about it, thus actively contributing to derailing the thread. You repeatedly ask me to calm down. You should try to do so yourself.
0 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
Languages: Fr (N), EN (C1),
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=9983

Postby Aloyse » Sun May 22, 2022 7:25 pm

How do you feel about tome vs fantôme ?

(ɔ vs o)
0 x
Future me already did it.

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Le Baron » Mon May 23, 2022 9:56 am

Aloyse wrote:How do you feel about tome vs fantôme ?

(ɔ vs o)

Somewhat more favourably than notre vs nôtre. :lol:

It's quite funny that in the Tom Ripley books Ripley's maid pronounces his name as 'Tome' and it's even written like that.
1 x

LanguageLearner0007
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (intermediate), German (beginner)

Postby LanguageLearner0007 » Mon May 23, 2022 4:27 pm

For me, in English, it is fairly easy to understand when a word begins and ends.

There is more separation between words and there are clear pauses between sentences.

And this helps people understand English, even if they aren't fluent.

In French, it all flows so quickly, it is difficult to understand when a word/sentence begins and ends, it all sounds like an incomprehensible flow for a non-trained ear...
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”