A French Book Reading Resource

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Caromarlyse
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1-ish), German (B2/C1-ish), Russian (B1-ish), Portuguese (B1-ish), Welsh (complete beginner), Spanish (in hibernation)
(All levels estimates and given as a guide only)

Re: A French Book Reading Resource

Postby Caromarlyse » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:25 am

Thanks for mentioning L'Anomalie. I'm going to read it too (in French).

That Paris site looks interesting too. It makes me sad about Brexit again, though, as it has really hiked up delivery costs to the UK. I used to buy German books second hand from a German site, but it's become cheaper there too to buy the electronic version.
2 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:10 pm

Does anyone have experience ordering books directly from French bookstores? Is there a problem with the currency?
I have never tried it.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:21 pm

Carmody wrote:Does anyone have experience ordering books directly from French bookstores? Is there a problem with the currency?
I have never tried it.

I ordered some Tintin books and didn't have any problems. I used a credit card so currency exchange was handled by MasterCard.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Jean-Luc
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), English & German (C), Italian & Spanish (B), Russian, Chinese, Croatian (A)

Re: A French Book Marcel Pagnol, a serie

Postby Jean-Luc » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:38 pm

Romans autobiographiques de Marcel Pagnol, la série des Souvenirs d’enfance, composée de La Gloire de mon père (1957), du Château de ma mère (1959), du Temps des secrets (1960) et le Temps des Amours.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jean-Luc on Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
2 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:42 pm

Jean-Luc
Lovely pics; many thanks.
0 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:43 pm

rdearman » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:21 am

Carmody wrote:
Does anyone have experience ordering books directly from French bookstores? Is there a problem with the currency?
I have never tried it.

rdearman
I ordered some Tintin books and didn't have any problems. I used a credit card so currency exchange was handled by MasterCard.
Could you tell me which bookstore that was? Thanks.
0 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:50 pm

Carmody wrote:
Carmody wrote:
I have never tried it.
rdearman

MasterCard worked for me as well, but I don't remember the bookstore. It might have been FNAC.
Closer to home in the USA is Gallimard de Monntreal, but shipping costs from Canada to the USA are astronomical, believe it or not, so beware.
A couple of things. 1. Your MasterCard issuer might collect a modest fee for an international transaction. Some do, some don't. You can check with them beforehand, if need be.
2. The bookstore will need some details, of course: name, address, and so on. So be sure for example you know the difference between nom and prénom.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Re: A French Book Marcel Pagnol, a serie

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:58 pm

Jean-Luc wrote:Romans autobiographiques de Marcel Pagnol, la série des Souvenirs d’enfance, composée de La Gloire de mon père (1957), du Château de ma mère (1959), du Temps des secrets (1960) et le Temps des Amours.

So many highly regarded French writers slip by the wayside, at least they slip by my wayside, so it is good to be informed about them. I know of Pagnol, but have not read him. His wife Jacqueline is more familiar to me for her version of an audiobook of Bonjour Tristesse.
Another such writer would be Romain Gary. The movie Promise at Dawn, which I watched just last night, reminded me of his work, which also I have never read.
So, thanks for the note about Pagnol.
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:24 pm

Carmody wrote:

Carmody wrote:
I have never tried it.

rdearman

Sorry, It was so long ago I don't remember.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:55 pm

Okay, not terribly romantic, but ordering from Amazon.fr in the United States is very easy, Amazon even gives you the option to pay in US dollars. (Whether or not that is a good deal for you depends on how your credit card handles foreign exchange.) They are also incredibly accurate with their shipping times. Not all items can be sent to the US, but if you are logged in with a US account they always give you a warning. And your US account works with the French site, so all your shipping and payment information is already available. (I’d love to use a French website, but FNAC doesn’t ship to the US.)
2 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”