Shouko's Spanish Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Shouko
White Belt
Languages: German (native), English (advanced), Spanish (intermediate),
Polish (???)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1129

Re: Shouko's Spanish Log

Postby Shouko » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:32 pm

Reading

Animales fantásticos y dónde encontrarlos ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆
Los cuentos de Beedle el Bardo ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Animales fantásticos y dónde encontrarlos was fine, but nothing really special. It was basically a list of all the magical creatures in the Harry Potter universe.
I enjoyed Los cuentos de Beedle el Bardo a bit more. Dumbledore's notes after the story La Fuente de la Buena Fortuna were the best. He described how they planned to make a stage play, but that it ultimately ended up in utter chaos. :lol:

Listening

Frágiles – Temporada 1: 8|8 Capítulos
Frágiles – Temporada 2: 2|8 Capítulos

End of season one: Ooh, what's going to happen next?
Start of season two: WHAT IS HAPPENING

Seriously though, I'm really confused. :?

Grammar

Gramática de uso del español: 83|106 Unidades
0 x

Shouko
White Belt
Polish (???)

Postby Shouko » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:54 pm

Late update is late.

Reading

La ladrona de libros 15%
Amagami SS – Temporada 1: 4|25 Episodios

If someone doesn't know: Amagami SS is an anime – which might look weird on my reading list. But well, I like to search fur subtitles in Spanish when I want to watch an (older) anime. This way, I can at least learn some words/increase my reading speed while watching it (sadly, you won't learn Japanese just from watching a lot of anime *very sad panda*).
I also started La ladrona de libros, and the writing style isn't what I expected at all. I kind of thought it would be more … straightforward? Anyway, it's not exactly hard, it's just sometimes a bit weird in a enjoyable way?! I have no idea if that even makes any sense. :lol:

Listening

Frágiles – Temporada 2: 5|8 Capítulos

Grammar

Gramática de uso del español: 85|106 Unidades

I had a lot of homework this week, so I didn't work as much on my grammar as I'd have liked. :oops:
0 x

Shouko
White Belt
Polish (???)

Postby Shouko » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:21 pm

Reading

La ladrona de libros 48%
Amagami SS – Temporada 1: 10|25 Episodios

The ninth and tenth episode of Amagami annoyed me SO MUCH. There were so many (anime) clichés, it physically hurt me. The other episodes weren't by no means masterpieces, but at least they were pretty enjoyable. The subtitles also have some mistakes in it. I think I need a break from this series; I guess I will just watch Gran Hotel instead.
And I'm still trucking along with La ladrona de libros. I'm hopefully going to finish it in the next couple of days.

Listening

Frágiles – Temporada 2: 8|8 Capítulos
Gran Hotel – Temporada 1: 1|9 Capítulos

Oh god, the ending of Frágiles was SUCH a disappointment. :( I really enjoyed the series up to this point, and it could have been easily wrapped up in a satisfying way, but some people apparently decided that it would be a FANTASTIC idea to end the second season with a monstrous cliffhanger and, like, 3 totally new plotlines, and they then proceeded to cancel the third season indirectly – what do I mean with indirectly? Well, there was never an official statement regarding the cancellation of the third season; it was only implied, but of course, you don't need to be a genius to figure out that a) after the actor became the leading role of another series and b) after not getting any news regarding a possible third season for more than two years, the possibility of a third season is basically zero. And this makes me so sad. :cry: The series was really good, and I would have really liked to see a happy or at least a satisfying ending for all of the characters. :( Why do the good series never get a continuation?!
On the other hand, I have just started Gran Hotel. I'm happy that I get to see Ivan again... now he isn't together with Julia anymore, but instead he IS Julio! :lol:

Grammar

Gramática de uso del español: 86|106 Unidades
1 x

Shouko
White Belt
Polish (???)

Postby Shouko » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:59 pm

It's this time of the year where I could just curl up in my bed and hibernate 'till next year. Or at least until the holidays – that would be nice! _(:3 」∠ )_

Reading

La ladrona de libros ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I have finally finished La ladrona de libros! ✧*。٩(ˊᗜˋ*)و✧*。 Whew, this had taken longer than anticipated. And it wasn't a bad book – by no means! It's just that my expectations might have been too high. I expected a heart-wrenching story with a thrilling plot and a world changing ending (I might exaggerate a little, heh), but my point is, I expected something completely different and got... well, a nice but kind of forgettable story. I thought it would be about this young woman, who steals a bunch of books and is all kinds of awesome! But, in reality, our protagonist is just a child who “stole“... uhm, 3 books throughout the book, I think. I know, I know, it's not the book's fault that I already had a different story in my head. :? Also, I've heard from so many people that they cried their eyes out at the end, and I was just kind of... unmoved, sitting there and thinking “huh“. Maybe I'm just cold? It didn't help that the ending was actually spoiled in the middle of the book by the narrator himself (thanks, Death), and I didn't really connect with the characters... I'm not sure what my problem was, exactly. I guess that's also why it took me so long to finish the book. The writing was quite beautiful, though.

Listening

Gran Hotel – Temporada 1: 5|9 Capítulos

Gran Hotel is really entertaining. The fifth episode was crazy. :lol: I'm also happy that I can follow the story nearly effortlessly without any subs.

Grammar

Gramática de uso del español: 89|106 Unidades
0 x

Shouko
White Belt
Polish (???)

Postby Shouko » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:12 pm

Reading

Love Live! School Idol Project – Temporada 1: 13|13 Episodios
Love Live! School Idol Project 2nd Season – Temporada 2: 13|13 Episodios

Like you can see, I was very, uhm, productive (let's just call it that, ok?). I have never watched an idol anime before, but I had suddenly this enormous urge to watch one – or rather, to watch something that is uplifting and motivating. But at least I spent some time reading Spanish (even if it probably wasn't always correct), yay! I also haven't done that much other things due to the two reasons above. :oops:

Listening

Gran Hotel – Temporada 1: 8 ½ |9 Capítulos

I think I'm going to finish the last episode later this day.

Grammar

Gramática de uso del español: 90|106 Unidades

I have neglected this workbook so much, ughh. I need to start working on it seriously again.
0 x

Shouko
White Belt
Polish (???)

Postby Shouko » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:58 pm

Reading

I haven't yet started a new Spanish book, but that doesn't mean I haven't been reading. I'm a bit overwhelmed with things to read, actually. I need to study the correct Spanish orthography for my exams... like, there will be some questions about the differences between the German and Spanish orthography in my German-Spanish translation exam, then I have to know it for the exam of my English-Spanish translation class and also for my Spanish class. I hope I'll be an expert when everything is over. :lol:

If someone is interested, here are two great sources: Fundéu: Novedades de la Ortografía de la lengua española (2010)
Ortografía de la lengua española RAE

But the orthography is not even the worst... I have no idea how I should study for my Spanish class (our subject for the whole term is phonology/phonetics). I can't memorise shit. :? Maybe that sounds funny considering I'm learning languages... but at least there you have some context. But when I see all the rules for the different alófonos, I could strangle someone. :x

Listening

Gran Hotel – Temporada 1: 9|9 Capítulos
Gran Hotel – Temporada 2: 2|8 Capítulos

That last episode of the first season was intense. =O I'm glad *it* didn't happen...
2 x

Shouko
White Belt
Polish (???)

Postby Shouko » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:31 am

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year! … W-Wait, it's already over?!
So, as you can see, I haven't written any updates these past days and I guess it's time to change that! After my last update I spent most of my time feeding my paranoia – that is, my fear of flying! – and finishing pending homework. Let's just say it's hard to learn when you're sure you're going to die in a few days. Okay, I miiiight be exaggerating a bit, BUT I'm easily scared and my last flights were all with the company Germanwings... ( •᷄⌓•᷅ ) Ahem. Well, I booked the flight with airberlin, and it went super smoothly.
However, I have to admit that I wasn't as productive as I'd have liked during my Christmas holidays. :oops: I'd planned to finish one of my bigger school task at the end of the year, and it's still there, waiting for me to finish it already. That means I'm going to spend the next days learning for my exams and trying to finish all my homework on time and well, I don't think I can sequeeze much extra Spanish in between.

But I do have some goals:

• finish the second season of Gran Hotel (I think I only need to watch 3 more episodes?)
• read Como agua para chocolate together with the Spanish book club (I have already read the first two chapters and I'm enjoying it so far)
• read another Spanish book this month
• add new cards to my Anki deck

I think these are realistic goals for a busy month. 8-)
1 x

Shouko
White Belt
Polish (???)

Postby Shouko » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:40 pm

It's time for a short update!

Reading

Medianoche (Las gatos guerreros: La nueva profecía, #1) ★ ★ ½
El Aserradero Lugubre (Una Serie de Catastróficas Desdichas, #4) ★★
Como agua para chocolate 26%

I started the second series of Los gatos guerreros – my guilty pleasure! It's definitely a series for kids, and the protagonist was kind of dumb in the first series and the plot “twists” were thrown into your face; but what can I say, I have a soft spot for animals, haha! The cats are just so endearing, and the books are very easy to read. :') But well, the beginning of the second series kind of dissappointed me a bit. I did like it, but some of the characters were really annoying (I'm looking at you, Esquirolina), and the reason of their journey and the journey itself fell completely flat to me. I'm hoping that the second book will be better, which I'm probably going to read next month!
Whoops, I completely forget that I also read the fourth book in Una Serie de Catastróficas Desdichas. These books are quite repetitive. I thought that might actually change, but it doesn't seem so. *sighs* Maybe I will read half of the series to see if it will get any better and if not, read the other half in another language (maybe I can find these books somewhere in Polish? That would be great :D).
I also read the third chapter of Como auga para chocolate, and it's really great for a good chuckle at the end of the day! This chapter was all kinds of crazy. :lol: I know that I actually still need to read the fourth chapter (and the fifth one for this week), but this won't pose a problem as I'm going to have way more time starting this Thursday. I will also finally post something in the book club, hehe!

Listening

Gran Hotel – Temporada 2: 8|8 Capítulos
Gran Hotel – Temporada 3: 4|22 Capítulos

Phew, I finished the second season of Gran Hotel and already started the third and last one. What can I say, I'm still enjoying it. I'm always happy when Javier comes into the picture (even though you just want to slap him), because then I know: “Oh, something completely ridiculous will happen soon”.

Sadly, I didn't add anything to my Anki deck yet. Ahem, I didn't even check my cards this past week, but I'm definitely going to deal with it at the end of the month. On a side note, I have already written three exams so... only two more to go! 8-)
1 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:53 pm

Shouko wrote:I also read the third chapter of Como auga para chocolate, and it's really great for a good chuckle at the end of the day! This chapter was all kinds of crazy. :lol: I know that I actually still need to read the fourth chapter (and the fifth one for this week), but this won't pose a problem as I'm going to have way more time starting this Thursday. I will also finally post something in the book club, hehe!

We shall be waiting 8-)
1 x

Stelle
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N1), French (N2), Spanish (advanced), Tagalog (basic), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=13312

Postby Stelle » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:57 pm

Shouko wrote:I'm always happy when Javier comes into the picture (even though you just want to slap him)

That's pretty much the perfect description of Javier! :lol:
0 x

Return to “Language logs”