Pegasusangels I've never logged before language Journey

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Re: Pegasusangels I've never logged before language Journey

Postby golyplot » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:41 pm

Pegasusangel wrote:German
Obviously gonna work more on my German tree and open up two more skills to level 1 in duolingo.
Also writing this that anyone can correct if I'm wrong (seriously do I'm still learning and I'm sure I left some umeletas (sp) off as well)
Ich heiße Pegasusangel. Ich lerne viele Sprachen weil Ich denke es ist spaß. Ich spiel Videospielen. Ich mag Duolingo aber Ich mag Pimsleur mehr. Ich lerne schnell und werde es benutzt. Ich arbeite mit jung Jungen zwischen elf und achtzehn jahres. Danke Schon fur lesen.
What I was going for: (I am Pegasusangel. I learn many languages because I think it is fun. I play video games. I like duolingo but I like Pimsleur more. I learn fast and will use it. I work with young boys between 11 and 18 years old. Thank you very much for reading)
I very much got distracted with Animal crossing tonight haha so I just finished doing all the stuff I need to on my duolingo German course.

Disclaimer: I'm not a native German speaker, so take this with a grain of salt. But I noticed a bunch of things that seemed off to me.

First off, it's "macht Spaß", not "ist spaß".

Also, nouns need to be capitalized in German, while ich is *not* capitalized (except at the beginning of a sentence of course).

Also, when you use a subordinate clause, the conjugated verb goes at the end, so it should be something like "weil ich denke, dass es Spaß macht". Except that Germans would probably say that differently in the first place. Perhaps "weil ich sie gern lerne"?

"Ich mag Duolingo aber Ich mag Pimsleur mehr." This sounds unnatural to me - I suspect it's another Englishism. I could suggest other ways to say it (aber ich Pimsleur noch besser finde), but I'm not sure if they're right, so probably best to defer to a native speaker here.

"Ich lerne schnell und werde es benutzt" <- That should be benutzen, not benutzt. Werde takes an infinitive, not a participle.
2 x

Pegasusangel
White Belt
Languages: Native:
English
Learning:
German, Icelandic
Maintaining:
Spanish, Japanese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16635

Postby Pegasusangel » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:10 am

First off thank you so much for the correction it is very much appreciated! I'm still trying to grasp some of the grammar in German. I've learned words quickly but the grammar is hard. Knowing how to use what I've learned correctly is rough for me but I'm going to keep on working. I appreciate corrections because I know when I see someone typing in broken english I know it's not their first language because you can just tell. I'm sure thats how my German sounds to a lot of you German speakers out there so thanks for bearing with me.

Anyway starting off today (as I'm off for the next 3 days) Language learning won't be as prevalent basically normal 3 day weekend for me. However I am going to start my entry now.

Icelandic
Working on speaking it and learning new words of it. Drops is nice but i know it will only get me so far. I'm hoping mangolanguages, Pimsleur, and the Icelandic book i should be getting in the mail today will push me the rest of the way eventually. (Maybe one day duolingo will have an Icelandic course).
Watched Lazy town in Icelandic (as it was originally an Icelandic creation) and picked up on a few more words. I probably won't spell them right but Bara (just) Tiu(10) and Niu (9). So not a lot but a bit more as I'm not working hard every day on Icelandic.

German
Went up a level on all the skills I've done so far that aren't quite level five yet.
Did the next skills availible on my german tree.
Last edited by Pegasusangel on Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
German
Duolingo: 109 / 122 109 gold
Busuu: 45 / 10045% course
pimsleur German 1: 23 / 3023 lessons
Speakly Intermediate 2: 1408 / 1450

Icelandic
Mangolanguages unit 1: 1 / 51 chapter complete
drops tourist: 100 / 300100 words
Pimsleur: 6 / 306 completed
memrise: 24 / 8224 items

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)

Postby golyplot » Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:53 pm

Incidentally, I'm surprised that you're trying to learn so many languages at once. I suspect that you'd progress more quickly if you focused on one at a time (probably German, since that's both the simplest and the one you seem to be farthest in currently.)
2 x

Pegasusangel
White Belt
English
Learning:
German, Icelandic
Maintaining:
Spanish, Japanese

Postby Pegasusangel » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:05 pm

golyplot wrote:Incidentally, I'm surprised that you're trying to learn so many languages at once. I suspect that you'd progress more quickly if you focused on one at a time (probably German, since that's both the simplest and the one you seem to be farthest in currently.)

Yeah I tried that with German for three months the just focusing on one, but then I fell behind keeping maintenance on my Japanese and Spanish. Therefore I forgot what I had learned and pick back up on them now when I start reviewing (like starting the trees over on duolingo etc.) Plus for some reason I've always been better at focusing on more then one language at once. It's really weird cuz I know a lot of people aren't like that with things but for me it just works better keeps my mind busy. And it's fun to be able to say something in all the languages together lol.
1 x
German

Icelandic

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:19 am

The higher your level in a language, the more slowly it decays.
2 x

Pegasusangel
White Belt
English
Learning:
German, Icelandic
Maintaining:
Spanish, Japanese

Postby Pegasusangel » Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:30 pm

My gosh yesterday I was so busy I didn't get to do much at all with language learning. I mean at least I got a bit of it in but not much unfortunately.

German
Just doing the normal duolingo stuff right now. Boring I know but thats it for now lol

Icelandic
Listened to level 3 of Pimsleur and actually feel like I’m making okay progress on pronunciation.
I’m going to be working on setting up a private YouTube channel to start speaking and pronouncing things.
I’m very much one who believes in immersing yourself in the language so listening to Icelandic lazy town songs. I’m picking up a bunch of similarities in Icelandic with certain words in German.
2 x
German

Icelandic

Pegasusangel
White Belt
English
Learning:
German, Icelandic
Maintaining:
Spanish, Japanese

Postby Pegasusangel » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:00 pm

Howdy I’m a bit late at starting this today so I’m super sorry in advanced.

German
Focused on broken skills and unlocked skills in Duolingo today.

Icelandic
Made it through another Pimsleur lesson today.
I looked at my new Icelandic book and practiced pronouncing the alphabet.
I listened to Lazy town in Icelandic on my way to work and was proud of the words I managed to hear.

I go back to work tonight so more to come! Much love everyone!
Last edited by Pegasusangel on Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
2 x
German

Icelandic

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: Taking a siesta from this site for the rest of 2024.

Postby lavengro » Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:13 pm

Hi Pegasusangels,

What Icelandic book are you working with?

Nice to see that Pimsleur has an Icelandic series - I don't believe they did the last time I took a swing at íslenska.
1 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

Pegasusangel
White Belt
English
Learning:
German, Icelandic
Maintaining:
Spanish, Japanese

Postby Pegasusangel » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:37 am

lavengro wrote:Hi Pegasusangels,

What Icelandic book are you working with?

Nice to see that Pimsleur has an Icelandic series - I don't believe they did the last time I took a swing at íslenska.

Heya the book is called Complete Icelandic beginner to intermediate. If you work through it like you are supposed to it's to get your Icelandic up to b2 level. It has some audio cds with it as well.

Heres the link to it on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14441 ... UTF8&psc=1
0 x
German

Icelandic

Pegasusangel
White Belt
English
Learning:
German, Icelandic
Maintaining:
Spanish, Japanese

Postby Pegasusangel » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:52 am

Hi hi all and welcome to todays/tonights language log!

German
So close to finishing my whole German tree on duolingo which is epic. Thinking about doing the reverse tree next (doing English from German)

Icelandic
Listened to some Lazy town episodes in Icelandic on my way home from work today.
Typing a bit in Icelandic today!
Hæ Ég heiti Pegasusangel! Ég skil smæweis íslensku! Skilur þú ensku? Bles bles! (Hi! i am Pegasusangel. I understand a little Icelandic. Do you understand English? Bye bye!)

Spanish mantinance
Just went through some easy lessons on Duolingo.
3 x
German

Icelandic

Return to “Language logs”