Pegasusangels I've never logged before language Journey

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Pegasusangel
White Belt
Languages: Native:
English
Learning:
German, Icelandic
Maintaining:
Spanish, Japanese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16635

Pegasusangels I've never logged before language Journey

Postby Pegasusangel » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:20 pm

Hi everyone I decided to start my own personal language log here. I will try to update everyone daily on how much I worked on each subject etc. Then once a month I will show my progress on the apps/sites I use. Fo those of you who don't know me hiya my name is Pegasus. The languages I am currently working on are German, spanish, Japanese, Norwegian, and Icelandic. This is a log to kind of chart what I do in each language. I'll be daily updating it based on what I did in the language and time I spent during the day. This means that every post will contain my whole days worth of language learning. I am learning languages because I really enjoy doing it. I also want to eventually go to all the countries that speak these languages and be able to carry on a conversation with the people there. I don't know how much the human brain can retain a language fluently but if I'm able to learn them all I will haha. Anyway this is just my introduction post. Thanks for dropping by and reading about my journey. Much love guys!
6 x
German
Duolingo: 109 / 122 109 gold
Busuu: 45 / 10045% course
pimsleur German 1: 23 / 3023 lessons
Speakly Intermediate 2: 1408 / 1450

Icelandic
Mangolanguages unit 1: 1 / 51 chapter complete
drops tourist: 100 / 300100 words
Pimsleur: 6 / 306 completed
memrise: 24 / 8224 items

Pegasusangel
White Belt
English
Learning:
German, Icelandic
Maintaining:
Spanish, Japanese

Re: Pegasusangels I've never logged before language Journey

Postby Pegasusangel » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:54 am

Duh dun dun dunnnnn.....

I have a weird schedule for anyone wondering I work nights from 10:30pm to 8:00am which makes it a lot of times where a day log ends up being two days at once lol. Be aware I am primarily focusing on fluency in German right now despite learning small amounts of other languages on the side. So lets start with this morning.

5:30am-6:00am Ordered books from Amazon Germany and read what I could of the descriptions also made it though the site fine without needing to consult translate

8:30am-8:50am Listened to Pokemon episodes in German on my way home
9:00am-11:30am I played drops and I worked on and reviewed my German, Icelandic, Norwegian, Japanese, and spanish.

9:30pm-10:00pm-Listened to a lazy town episode in German on my way to work.

Currently working on my skill trees in duolingo to grab more crowns (only did German and Japanese today)
Did 100 cards on lingvist for German (wouldn't let me do more although one of the sets I got had a ton of words I've already learned).
I'm on speakly right now and will be working on reading some of the stories there in German and going through their flashcards they pulled out for me to work on.

Had an hour trip today and listened to lesson 18 of Pimsleurs German 1 course (pretty easy for me but helps me understand grammar more)
I also listened to some paw patrol and....Peppa pig haha.
I read a few poems in my Shel silverstein book "Wo der gehweg endet"
And will be doing drops before i lay down to sleep!

This concludes todays entry! Thank you for reading! Since it's my weekend now I won't be hitting the language learning as hard Thursday night through Sunday morning as I stream on a couple platforms during my weekend. But I'll try to log what I do or if I do anything.

PS: Thinking about setting up a soundcloud or private youtube to practice speaking and reading in all the languages. As my end goal is fluency this is important for me.
Last edited by Pegasusangel on Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
3 x
German

Icelandic

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:51 am

Welcome to the forum.

I'm a little worried about your intention to update daily - you may get tired of doing so and end up considering it an onerous burden rather a useful learning tool. But let's see...
4 x

Pegasusangel
White Belt
English
Learning:
German, Icelandic
Maintaining:
Spanish, Japanese

Postby Pegasusangel » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:53 am

Welp despite it still being Thursday I consider it the start of a new day with my weird sleep schedule so lets get into this.

Today I started by focusing on Icelandic I've been playing drops a lot and have learned 50 words so far. I have to constantly remind myself on certain pronunciations with Icelandic. Thats something Mango does really well. For example I is ég and it's prounounced like Yegh. You is þu and it's prounounced thoo. It's very interesting it does help that it's a germanic language that I can pick up on words better but still not sure of some of the pronunciations. Like a lot of the time the R's at the end of an Icelandic word have like a sh sound when I'm just listening. And the double Ls have like a hard K sound when I'm listening. (At least that is how I'm hearing it right now just beginning with the language).

Worked on two more gold skills in my German tree on duolingo. Bringing me up to 100 skills I have at level 5. It's a huge accomplishment!
Worked on the basic spanish skills to polish two of them up to level five on duolingo.
Also worked on the basic Japanese skills and polished two of them up to level five as well.

Did 100 German flashcards on Lingvist.

Heading to bed but going to do some more drops and also utilize mango languages for a bit more icelandic education.

That concludes todays entry thanks for sticking around!
3 x
German

Icelandic

Pegasusangel
White Belt
English
Learning:
German, Icelandic
Maintaining:
Spanish, Japanese

Postby Pegasusangel » Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:32 am

I didn't work as hard as I usually do today cuz I was busy but I got a lot of stuff accomplished.

I did 10 German lessons on Busuu. I read out loud in German for about an hour in my shel silverstein book.

I did a new lesson on Mango for Icelandic. I also played drops and did some Icelandic stuff on memrise. I like how memrise doesn't use the computer generated voices like most apps do.

Worked my German tree a bit and got two more skills to gold.

I utilized drops some more to learn more Icelandic and also utilized Icelandic online. It's a bit tricky to understand what the questions are asking but it's definitely a good way to immerse myself in the language.

This concludes today's entry thanks for reading!
1 x
German

Icelandic

Pegasusangel
White Belt
English
Learning:
German, Icelandic
Maintaining:
Spanish, Japanese

Postby Pegasusangel » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:27 am

I've been pretty busy today but still managed to get some language learning stuff done.

I did a lesson on mangolanguages of Icelandic.

I also did lesson 19 of pimsleurs German Course.

Big news: Today I picked up a German book and in the past I actually had to stop and think what each word was. Now I'm starting to read it in German and comprehend it without turning it around in my head. This is exciting and interesting for me. I can't wait to get some more German. Some words I immediately recognize and sometimes actually say when I see them even when I'm translating the sentence.

Kinder, musst, haben, Das, Der, Katze, schnell, etc. Basic words but interesting none the less that I can see them and not have to take two or three seconds to translate them to English.

Before bed I typed in German for a bit.

That concludes this entry thanks for reading!
5 x
German

Icelandic

Pegasusangel
White Belt
English
Learning:
German, Icelandic
Maintaining:
Spanish, Japanese

Postby Pegasusangel » Sun Mar 14, 2021 1:09 pm

Happy Daylights Savings time guys. Means I have an extra hour to learn languages but....have less time to sleep lol.

Anyway started off the day working on Mango languages Icelandic and actually finished All the chapters in Unit 1 lesson 1. I retained a lot of it but there are still some words I'm having issues with. I don't think I've reviewed happy or blessed enough. There are a lot others too so I took the chapter recap. Found out I'm about 75% correct on what I've learned but thats not enough for me so I'm going to start the first chapter of that unit again.

Also reviewing my German in Duolingo right now so I can go on to the next lesson soon.

I worked on pimsleurs German one lesson 20 while I was driving today. There were some crazy drivers out though so sometimes I would get too focused on them. Luckily the stuff this lesson went over was literally stuff I already knew I just wanted to do all the German coursees for Pimsleur. Then I listened to Sesame street and Paw patrol in my car on the way to work. It was so interesting cuz I picked a sesame street episode and was listening to it in German when all the sudden i heard: minna san Konnichiwa "Everyone hello!" I did a double take for a minute cuz at first I hadn't heard the language change I just knew what it meant then I was like "Wait I'm listening to Elmo in German why is he speaking Japanese?"

Going over to Duolingo now to start on two new courses of German (I'm in the last part of the tree unit 7) Haven't started on unit seven yet cuz I've been focused on getting all my skills up to there to gold (it helps me retain a lot as well).

P.S. My work week officially starts today soo....This will probably be updated a lot lol so see ya around.
3 x
German

Icelandic

Pegasusangel
White Belt
English
Learning:
German, Icelandic
Maintaining:
Spanish, Japanese

Postby Pegasusangel » Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:58 am

Hoi hoi friends! So lets start of this entry shall we?

Icelandic
I listened to Lazy town songs in Icelandic on my way to work today and actually managed to pick out two words. (I know it's not a lot but it's still an accomplishment I could hear them. Daman-Which means Nice and Er- which can mean is or are. I also realized there are a lot of similar words to some of the German and norwegian I've learned. Example Blume-Icelandic=Blumen-German (flowers) and also if you look at Eg-I in Icelandic (the e has an accent but I can't figure out how to do it right now) Or Jeg-I- in norwegian. So it's kind of neat to be able to have so many similar words.
Listened through all the mangolanguage Unit 1 chapter 1 lessons today for reviews.

German
I'm currently working on my German which I listened to a pimsleur German one leason 21 today on my way home. Again most of it was stuff I already knew. I can't wait to get to the stuff I don't know. I am doing some of my skill tree in duolingo (getting the two skills I worked on yesterday to Level two and doing the three new skills that popped up. I took the progress quiz duolingo has and scored a 3.7. Which means I have mastered 72% of their German course which is cool!
Decided to work on 100 flashcards on Lingvist!

Spanish
Felt like spanish so gonna get on duolingo and work on getting gold skills in spanish.

Japanese
Doing Japanese skills that I have already bypassed on Duolingo to get them to level 5.
5 x
German

Icelandic

Pegasusangel
White Belt
English
Learning:
German, Icelandic
Maintaining:
Spanish, Japanese

Postby Pegasusangel » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:47 am

Góðhn daginn! hvernig hefurðu það? (Good morning/afternoon how are you?)

Icelandic
Reviewed more of chapter 1 in mangolanguages.
Did lesson 1 one more time on Pimsleur can’t wait to start on lesson 2 tomorrow.
Got Alice in wonderland in Icelandic and picked out and looked to see what words I could recognize in the text. (Not much as I just started)
Played some drops and focused on numbers and review today. My favorite islénska number is Hundrað right now.

German
Reviewing my German skill tree on Duolingo fixing broken skills and levelling up new ones.
Starting on two new lessons on duolingo for German.
I also did five German lessons on Busuu.
On my way home from work I'm going to listen to another German pimsleur lesson (I say that cuz it's 4am right now and i get off at 8am)

Spanish
Doing more spanish on duolingo to get skills I've already finished to gold.
I took duolingos spanish progress test and scored a 1.5 on it (which sounds terrible but duolingo only bases the test on how far you get through their course.) So technically out of the 10% of the course I've done on duolingo 10 percent of it is complete lol. I'm thinking I may up my skills on spanish a bit more then once a day just so I can get back to where I have been in spanish.

Japanese
Going to raise two more skills I've bypassed on Japanese to gold and repair the skils that need repaired apparently lol.
Took a Japanese progress test on Duolingo and got a 1.4 which means I've mastered 14% of the 14% I've done so far.

Norwegian info
I've decided since Norwegian and Icelandic are a lot alike I won't dabble in them both as a new language so for now Norwegian is off my list of languages to learn.
5 x
German

Icelandic

Pegasusangel
White Belt
English
Learning:
German, Icelandic
Maintaining:
Spanish, Japanese

Postby Pegasusangel » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:00 am

Today I am a bit sick so i'm just kind of chilling and trying as hard as i can to focus on languages instead of the sickness haha. I hope everyone has been doing well.

Icelandic
On my way to work today i listened to some lazy town songs in Icelandic. It's such a pretty language. I learned Velkomen (welcome) Is pronounced almost the same as the German Wilkommen (welcome). I've picked up on a lot of words that sound similar to German just from listening and didn't realize how many German words were in the language (although spelled a bit differently).
Working on animals in drops right now such as kötter (cat).
Worked on Pimsleur Icelandic 1 lesson 2 today.
Also reviewed chapter 1 of mangolanguages as I'm planning on moving to chapter 2 soon.

German
Obviously gonna work more on my German tree and open up two more skills to level 1 in duolingo.
Also writing this that anyone can correct if I'm wrong (seriously do I'm still learning and I'm sure I left some umeletas (sp) off as well)
Ich heiße Pegasusangel. Ich lerne viele Sprachen weil Ich denke es ist spaß. Ich spiel Videospielen. Ich mag Duolingo aber Ich mag Pimsleur mehr. Ich lerne schnell und werde es benutzt. Ich arbeite mit jung Jungen zwischen elf und achtzehn jahres. Danke Schon fur lesen.
What I was going for: (I am Pegasusangel. I learn many languages because I think it is fun. I play video games. I like duolingo but I like Pimsleur more. I learn fast and will use it. I work with young boys between 11 and 18 years old. Thank you very much for reading)
I very much got distracted with Animal crossing tonight haha so I just finished doing all the stuff I need to on my duolingo German course.

Spanish
Really trying to get back to where I was with spanish. Just as an FYI to anyone reading this I got to A2 level on spanish and then took 2 or 3 months off so I could jump into German only....But that got really boring so now I'm just doing things the way I used to.
Today I'm jumping back into duolingo to polish skills and put two more up to level 5.
Last edited by Pegasusangel on Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
German

Icelandic

Return to “Language logs”