Le groupe français 2016 - 2023 Les Voyageurs

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Re: French Group 2016 - Les Voyageurs

Postby tomgosse » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:28 pm

Stelle wrote:Salut! Je suis ici si jamais vous cherchez une marraine canadienne française!

Merci stelle. Je vais vous ajouter à la liste.
0 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

souschef

Postby souschef » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:28 pm

Hi all,

Many thanks to tomgosse for getting this going.

I'm going to join in. I'll keep my ambitions fairly modest, though, since my top priority is the Output Challenge in German. Ideally I'll do small amounts of French until the Output Challenge is going smoothly, then start putting more emphasis on French later in the year.

My main focus is going to be active use, especially oral. I'd currently guess my level is B1.

So I'm committing to:
- keeping a log
- following the other logs
- generating at least SOME output each week

I hope that later on I'll be able to add some more commitments to that.

Bonne chance à tous!
1 x
Languages: English N, German B2, French B1, Russian A2, Bosnian/Serbian/Croation A1, Sanskrit A1, Spanish A1

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Français (A1)

Postby tomgosse » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:52 pm

souschef wrote:Hi all,

Many thanks to tomgosse for getting this going.

I'm going to join in. I'll keep my ambitions fairly modest, though, since my top priority is the Output Challenge in German. Ideally I'll do small amounts of French until the Output Challenge is going smoothly, then start putting more emphasis on French later in the year.

My main focus is going to be active use, especially oral. I'd currently guess my level is B1.

So I'm committing to:
- keeping a log
- following the other logs
- generating at least SOME output each week

I hope that later on I'll be able to add some more commitments to that.

Bonne chance à tous!

Bienvenue. Je vous ai ajouté à la liste. :D
0 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Français (A1)

Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Micro Minnie Challenge

Postby tomgosse » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:32 pm

Rule Change: If, like me, you find it impossible to do twenty-four consecutive hours in a French bubble, then attempt twenty-four hours broken up any way that works for you.

It's the New Year and people are starting TAC's and Output Challenges, so I thought we should have one of our own. Being new at this I thought I'd start small, real small. The challenge is: For one day in January spend it, to the best of your ability, in French. No native language listening! Live in a French bubble.

Rules:
The challenge runs from January 1 to January 31. A day is any twenty-four hours, broken up into as many segments as you need. That could be two twelve hour days, four six hour days, etc.
Things to do:
  • Listen to French radio
  • Watch French television
  • Watch French movies
  • Read French novels
  • Write in French
  • Study an all French text book
  • Record yourself speaking French
Remember, this challenge is to the best of your ability. If you need connect with the real world don't worry about it. Register here, post your experience to your log or here. Read other members' experience. S'amuser ! Soyez heureux !

P.S. Check out the first post in this thread for resources of French media.
P.P.S If anyone else wants to start a challenge for this group, go right ahead.
Last edited by tomgosse on Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
3 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Français (A1)

We are now part of TAC 2016

Postby tomgosse » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:54 pm

Bonjour à tous,

We are now part of TAC 2016. Even though you are part of this team, BrunUgle wrote that she did not add individual members of our team to the TAC because she is not sure if you wanted to participate in TAC or not. If you do want to be listed and participate in TAC please let her or me know. ;)
2 x

eplumb
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2), Wolof (B1), Spanish (A0), Seerer (A0)

Postby eplumb » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:29 pm

I will be continuing my French study and am happy to find myself among others doing the same!

I will be relying on French language Assimil for reviewing Dutch and starting Spanish, language immersion (of the West-African flavor), podcasts, anime, BDs, and a Hugo novel or two. That is...mostly passive learning besides daily conversation. I'm not sure how much I care about writing French well at the moment but, maybe that's for TAC 2017 :)

My log:
viewtopic.php?p=18428#p18428

An Anki Deck I made (That I haven't even learned myself yet!!) for learning 101 French idioms

https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/487672774
1 x

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:05 am

I've been following this thread so faithfully, maybe you should add me to the list as a voyageur after all. My log is here:
http://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=705

Each time I've resumed my French this year, it's reawakened my ability to step outside of the English box and think in a different language. The cool thing is that ability then transfers to whatever other language I was wrestling with as a raw beginner. This motivates me to maintain French as an ongoing part of my learning routine.

Here are a couple of things I'm looking for recommendations on:
    * A children's French language dictionary
    (meant for French elementary school children, but with written definitions, not a picture dictionary)
    * A comprehensive French->English & English->French dictionary
Also, I've noticed a couple of great free study resources missing from the list at the top of the thread:
3 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Français (A1)

Postby tomgosse » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:23 pm

tangleweeds wrote:I've been following this thread so faithfully, maybe you should add me to the list as a voyageur after all. My log is here:
http://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=705

You're in! :lol:
Each time I've resumed my French this year, it's reawakened my ability to step outside of the English box and think in a different language. The cool thing is that ability then transfers to whatever other language I was wrestling with as a raw beginner. This motivates me to maintain French as an ongoing part of my learning routine.

Here are a couple of things I'm looking for recommendations on:
    * A children's French language dictionary
    (meant for French elementary school children, but with written definitions, not a picture dictionary)
    * A comprehensive French->English & English->French dictionary

I use the Larousse Concise Dictionary. It's a good size paperback with an easy to read font, but still comfortable enough to hold. Since I like the Larousse products I would look at the Larousse Student Dictionary. Then there is the full size Larousse Unabridged Dictionary. And finally, at a hefty five pounds and $159.00, the Le Petit Larousse Illustré. By the way, you can get the 1906 Le Petit Larousse from Google Books. After all, how much has changed since then? :roll:

Also, I use the Larousse apps for the Android on my smartphone and tablet : French Larousse Dictionary, and French-English Dictionary. I'm sure that they must be available in the Apple store. They are quite good and very affordable.
Also, I've noticed a couple of great free study resources missing from the list at the top of the thread:

Thanks for the recommendations. I added them to the top post.
1 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:45 am

I would very much like to join this group but don't know how to go about participating and contributing.

All advice appreciated.

Merci!
1 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Français (A1)

Postby tomgosse » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:05 pm

Carmody wrote:I would very much like to join this group but don't know how to go about participating and contributing.

All advice appreciated.

Merci!

Welcome to the forum and Les Voyageurs! I've added you to the membership. To participate is easy: Subscribe to this topic and the logs of the other members. Start your own log and chronicle your progress in French studies. You can use your new log to tell us about yourself.

How long have you been studying French? What resources do you use? What are your goals for 2016? Where do you live?

All the best,
Tom
1 x

Return to “Study Groups”