French (my work so far and looking for recommendations)

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: French (my work so far and looking for recommendations)

Postby rdearman » Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:25 pm

amadus wrote:There are some other things too I'm sure. I can understand quite a bit of French, but I'm concerned--I would really like to get conversational before this summer when I have a trip to France planned.

Any recommendations?

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.” ― Aristotle

You can DO only what you practice doing. So if you want to be conversational, have conversations.

https://www.conversationexchange.com/
https://www.language-exchanges.org/
4 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

amadus
Languages: English (N), French (A2-B1ish), German (beginner), Spanish (school-taught, now forgotten), Lithuanian (beginner)

Postby amadus » Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:31 pm

lusan wrote:
issemiyaki wrote:Hi,

But, I would strongly recommend that you find a tutor on iTalki, A.S.A.P., like yesterday! They are reasonably priced and you can even pick which country your tutor hails from. (Warning: you have to shop around to find the right tutor, but it's doable.)

Also, you must be consistent. I have seen amazing results thanks to meeting with my tutor online, consistently, week in and week out, often, SEVERAL times a week. This is the work that I had to do.

Indeed....

Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I got an iTalkie tutor a few weeks back. Today was my third lesson (4th? I can't remember). Last week I felt like I KNEW NOTHING, but this week was MUCH better. I was actually handling a conversation. I think I might ask her if I can record sessions later.

I've tried multiple times to find language exchange partners, but I'm having a very difficult time getting responses.
2 x

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:38 am

amadus wrote:I got an iTalkie tutor a few weeks back. Today was my third lesson (4th? I can't remember).

Imo, your focus should be on conversation now. I'd do it at least 3 times per week, but preferably daily. Let this activity replace a big chunk of the other stuff you have been doing. Repeating beginner material has its limits.
1 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”