Veni, vidi, non vici

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Veni, vidi, non vici

Postby Ccaesar » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:23 pm

This is my 2nd log, since the other one started getting too long and unorganised. I intend to keep this one more concise and organised.
Premise: I am currently finishing my master's degree, meaning a lot of work, so language learning is on a pause for now until january (unless I have extra energy and time, then I memorise a few words in Japanese).
Exception to the premise: I try to practice kanji on kanji tree everyday for 10 minutes. So far I have done so without skipping a day.
Tools:
App: kanji tree and habitica
ressources:
Japanese: active A1
Assmil, Japanese with Ease, volume 1.
Japanese for Dummies

Italian: mostly passive B2
Ressources:
Listening to the radio
Watching films
Writing exam papers
Talking to friends

German: semi-active B2
Imagining myself as a teacher trying to fix my own errors when I come across them.
6 x
Hiragana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Katakana practiced in hand : 48 / 48
Kanji : 50 / 2000
Assimil Japanese with Ease : 27 / 100

Ccaesar
Orange Belt
Languages: Danish (N) English (B2-C1) German (B1-B2) Italian(B1), Japanese (beginner)

Re: Veni, vidi, non vici

Postby Ccaesar » Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:20 pm

Time for an update:
Friday I finished one of the toughest exams in a very long time, I have two more left... With a break in between. I hope to get a little bit of language learning squeezed in, but we will see. My learning will most likely be passive in the next week or two.
2 x

Ccaesar
Orange Belt

Postby Ccaesar » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:55 pm

Update:
Having taken a break after two very hard exams, I have had the energy and motivation to start learning again.
Drawing on my knowledge gained from the book Atomic habits by James Clear I try to make the act of starting my study and reviewing easier, so my effort goes into re-calling. I have spent this week working through the numbers from 1-100k in Japanese, the different counters mai, hiki, hon, dai, nin, tsu and their conjugations from 1-10. Two days ago I added flashcards about them and image occlusion in Remnote that I have spent some time getting acquianted with. I love it.
Making a card is this easy I type the question/word/phrase add :: the answer and then it creates a card and I can customize the spaced time or it can follow the same algorythm that anki does.
Making an image occlusion is easy too. I add a picture. I zoom in. I get the option to "generate image occlusion" I pick the parts of the image, and the programme creates the cards.
In addition that I started making weekly to do small goals, this week I still need to tackle the ordinal numbers in Japanese and read a little about the strong declination of adjetives in German (by that I mean which words use it a part from when you have nothing infront of the noun".

I also got started on my book thanks to Remnote!
Before making flash cards I got back to simply self quizzing myself using my hand a few times a day and over the week. Simple, effective and satisfying. Right now I can't practice kanji, kana and so on by hand due to an injury, so I simply focus on reading and learning conjugations and patterns instead. I am thinking about adding kanji to anki since anki has one thing Remnote doesn't the "stroke order diagrams".
1 x

Ccaesar
Orange Belt

Postby Ccaesar » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:34 pm

Time for another update.
I feel very satisfied with my progress so far.
Thanks to Remnote I have been organising my notes and cards much quicker and more effeciently.

Every sunday I pick either a topic or some pages from the book Japanese for dummies to go through using active re-call and marking phrases I will sentence mine later on.
It turns out remnote can only use audio files if they are uploaded online. Hopefully that will change in the future.... For now I intend on using anki for solely kanji since it has furigana and kanji diagram addons. Remnote is a fairly new software, thus the amount of addons are limited. But I love how easy it is to create flashcards and image occlusion.

German:
Haven't done anything a part from speaking to a few friends and brushing off declinations of adjectives (the three tables)

Italian:
Listened to the radio, marked down a few words I have yet to do anything with.

misc: Preparing for my final exam next week
2 x

Ccaesar
Orange Belt

Postby Ccaesar » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:41 pm

I finally finished my exams!
(imagine Mel Gibson from Braveheart shouting freedom).
I have been sticking with my plan of learning Japanese for a few weeks, and am making progress. I am working through chapter six of Japanese for dummies adding the vocabulary to Anki. (Why I am not using Remnote despite recommending it I will discuss later).

For Italian I am trying to set up a plan of what exactly to achieve.
In German I want to brush off my grammar. The vocabulary is so close to the vocabulary of my native language that it doesn't pose any issues apart from knowing the gender of the word (luckily there are rules for just about 95 % of the cases).

On the Remnote---note.. (pun intended).. For now I need to upload sound to an online database in order to add it to my cards, which makes the process slower and more demanding... (As people who have read Atomic Habits know) making it attractive(easy) is important to stick with a habit... So Anki it is for now. Especially for Japanese as I have option of having furigana reading above the kanji.
For European languages it seems useful enough, I used the image occlusion cards to finally get a hang of some vocabulary that has escaped me in the past. (Il tabellone, il longo, il sopracciglio ecc..)
A part from that I am using Remnote to create a database of my ideas and knowledge that I pick up from books or projects I am doing. It feels good and productive... On the other hand it also forces me to ask myself if I am using the right approach when reading a book. For instance SQ3R is a bit hard to apply to a more philosophical book, though it is easily applied to a more technical piece of literature.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”