Rdearman 2016-24 You Can't Have Your Kate and Edith Too.

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Purangi
Orange Belt
Languages: French, English, Mandarin, Russian, Spanish

Re: Rdearman 2016/17/18/19/20/21 [One good deed is better than a thousand good intentions]

Postby Purangi » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:16 pm

rdearman wrote:
rdearman wrote:I've also discovered a word which seems to be used a lot, but have a couple of different meanings.

The word was 그럼 which seems to translate as "well then", but in the series I watched seemed to be translated as "well then", "ok", "Sure".

Anyone know enough Korean to confirm or deny this?

It can also be used to take leave/end a conversation, as in “bye then!”

I think this might be of help to you: Forms of the Korean verb 그렇다 – “to be so”.

그렇다 is an extremely versatile verb, and once you start using it, it will surely boost your comprehension skills (especially for kdramas!).
1 x

Bunnychu
Orange Belt
Languages: Romanian (N), English (?), Korean (Intermediate), Swedish (Beginner), French/Spanish (Elementary)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7956

Re: Rdearman 2016/17/18/19/20/21 [One good deed is better than a thousand good intentions]

Postby Bunnychu » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:19 pm

rdearman wrote:
rdearman wrote:I've also discovered a word which seems to be used a lot, but have a couple of different meanings.

The word was 그럼 which seems to translate as "well then", but in the series I watched seemed to be translated as "well then", "ok", "Sure".

Your intuition is correct, it has all those meanings and more. :D

가: 어디 가세요? - Where do you go?
나: 서면 쇼핑하러 가요. - I go shopping in Seomyeon.
가: 그럼 같이 가요. 저도 서면에 가려던 참이에요. - Well then/ If that's the case let's go together. I was also about to go to Seomyeon.

가 : 이거 먹어도 돼요? - Can I eat all of this?
나 : 그럼요. 얼마든지요 - Of course / Certainly / By all means. As much as you want.

그럼, 가보겠습니다.
I'll leave now.
그럼, 또 나중에 만나요.
[Ok (then)], See you later!

What helps me understand the meaning of a word is by looking at the example sentences in naver
6 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:37 am

Bunnychu wrote:
rdearman wrote:

Your intuition is correct, it has all those meanings and more. :D

가: 어디 가세요? - Where do you go?
나: 서면 쇼핑하러 가요. - I go shopping in Seomyeon.
가: 그럼 같이 가요. 저도 서면에 가려던 참이에요. - Well then/ If that's the case let's go together. I was also about to go to Seomyeon.

가 : 이거 먹어도 돼요? - Can I eat all of this?
나 : 그럼요. 얼마든지요 - Of course / Certainly / By all means. As much as you want.

그럼, 가보겠습니다.
I'll leave now.
그럼, 또 나중에 만나요.
[Ok (then)], See you later!

What helps me understand the meaning of a word is by looking at the example sentences in naver

Excellent! Thanks. The naver link looks very useful!
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:40 am

Purangi wrote:
rdearman wrote:

It can also be used to take leave/end a conversation, as in “bye then!”

I think this might be of help to you: Forms of the Korean verb 그렇다 – “to be so”.

그렇다 is an extremely versatile verb, and once you start using it, it will surely boost your comprehension skills (especially for kdramas!).

That blog gives an excellent explanation! Thanks.
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

daveprine
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (native speaker); working to maintain German, Spanish, French, Italian, and Indonesian; slowly revisiting other languages studied but poorly maintained in hopes of maintaining them for the long haul.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8921

Postby daveprine » Fri Jan 15, 2021 12:14 am

rdearman wrote:Anyone know enough Korean to confirm or deny this?

I don't need any Korean in order to deny it. I can deny anything.

Wait, that's not true.

See????
4 x
Main: German, Spanish, French, Italian, Indonesian
To a lesser degree: Hungarian, Dutch, Ukrainian, Brazilian Portuguese, Albanian, Plains Cree
And then: Manx, Japanese, Tunica, Chinuk Wawa
And then I'll cure world hunger and build a hotel on the moon.

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:07 pm

Yesterday I was a little annoyed because I hadn't sat down and done 30 minutes of study with a book or course in Korean, however I feel that I did enough to qualify as study for the 365 challenge by watching 8 hours of Korean drama with the wife. I do try to make these sessions useful for language learning by trying to pick out words that seem to repeat and try to work out the meaning. So I'm getting better at identification of simple things; please, thank you, where, this and that. Oddly I'm struggling with pronouns like I, he, she, them, etc.

I'm not yet doing any real vocabulary study, I'm concentrating on the alphabet and the sounds. Since I'm not smart enough to "Learn Hangul in 90 minutes" like the YouTubers, I'm lagging behind. :roll:

Still I have watched a couple of children's videos in order to pick up words. I think I might actually join the Peppa Pig challenge too and watch some snorting in Korean. Although that didn't actually help much with Chinese.
11 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:40 pm

Well Peppa Pig isn't really helping much to be honest. But I have found a podcast on Spotify called "Learning Korean with David" and I've been listening to it when my wife takes me on these death marches for our Covid-19 exercise. It is pretty good and aimed at people like me who don't know anything. I'm not really happy with the DLI course, but I generally don't like courses. I don't have enough "stick-to-it-ness" to get one done to the end. I have decided now that I'm more familiar with the alphabet to start trying to read. To that end I've printed an article from one of the newspapers, and I'm slowly and labouredly working my way through it with the help of Google Translate.

Enough writing for now, off to watch more K-Drama. :)
13 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:21 pm

They posted my talk. :)

12 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

BalancingAct
Orange Belt
Languages: Mandarin, Cantonese, English (Prof.), French (Adv. - Prof.), Italian (Adv.), German (Adv. receptive), Spanish (Int. receptive)

Postby BalancingAct » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:27 pm

Since when you started to look Russian?
0 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:33 pm

Rick
Many thanks for the very informative talk; greatly appreciated.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”