Galician resources

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: Galician resources

Postby iguanamon » Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:18 pm

There is very little available with an English-base for learning Gallego (Galician). Most of what is available for free online has a Spanish base. If your Spanish level is adequate enough to use as a base for learning another language, then there may be enough available online. Try searching google with the words: apprender gallego. These links may be of some help as well: apendergallegogratis.es; Learning Galician.

Perhaps you may consider learning Portuguese instead. There are plenty of good and extensive resources available online for a free and legal challenge. Portuguese and Galician are closely related. When I traveled in Galicia a few years ago with my Brazilian partner, we had no trouble speaking with people in Portuguese and understanding their Galician responses (we both also speak Spanish). You would be able to easily complete a Portuguese free and legal challenge.
4 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:26 pm

pinkyslippers wrote:Thank you for your helpful reply :) . Yes, I have seen many of the Spanish - > Galician courses (La Voz de Galicia also has one https://cursodegalego.lavozdegalicia.es/ ) but as my Spanish is only just nudging B2 it would probably be more sensible for me to wait another year or two and then go this route with a strong Spanish foundation rather than start on Portuguese. Thanks again, I appreciate it :)

"Nudging B2" would be a good way of describing my level of French, and I don't have much trouble using language resources with a French base. I'd suggest giving some of the Spanish resources a try. Worst case scenario, you get your feet wet but decide you aren't ready yet. Best case scenario, you'll have fun learning another language and get some great Spanish practice.
1 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

crush
Blue Belt
Languages: EN (N), ES, ZH
Maintain: EUS, YUE, JP, HAW
Study: TGL, SV
On Hold: RU

Postby crush » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:50 am

The series of textbooks "Aula de galego" have been released online for free:
https://www.lingua.gal/o-galego/aprendelo

They come with audio and the PDF of the textbooks.

There's an old book called "Galego coloquial" which has a nice format as well, it's all in Galician and presents a comic for each lesson and a discussion of the vocabulary/grammar. It can be found "online", i picked it up at a used book store in Spain years ago.
4 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”