I read old books - Pfifltrigg Pi

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
PfifltriggPi
Green Belt
Languages: Uses daily : Français (heritage) English
Reads : Castellano, Català, Italiano, Lingua Latina
Studying: Українська мова, Ελληνικά
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4860

Re: I read old books - Pfifltrigg Pi

Postby PfifltriggPi » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:36 pm

Français :
Aujourd'hui, je lus le chapitre LXVI du Comte de Monte-Cristo et le chapitre VIII du livre VII du tome I des Misérables.

Català :
Avui, vaig fer els lliçons 49 i 50. Ara, ho fet un mitat del llibre. Sóc feliç.

Latin :
Today I read the 10th and final eclogue of Virgil. The 10th was surprisingly interesting. All in all, I found all 10 eclogues much less difficult than I expected, quite varied and many were quite good.

Ukrainian :
More scriptorium from my Parlons course today. Nothing much new to say about it.
1 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.

"Зброя - слово." - Леся Українка

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt

Postby PfifltriggPi » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:13 am

Français :
Je lus beaucoup aujourd'hui. J'apportai Les misérables avec moi sur le train quand j'allai à l'église et je terminai les livres VII et VIII, terminant le tome I, et les sept premières chapitres du livre I du tome II. En addition, je lus le chapitre LXVII du Comte de Monte-Cristo.

Català :
Avui, jo vaig fer els lliçons 51 i 52 del meu llibre. El curs començ a esdevenir més difícil.

Ukrainian :
More scriptorium. I did not get much of a chance to talk with people at church today, sadly.
2 x

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt

Postby PfifltriggPi » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:37 am

Ukrainian :
I finished copying that extract from Дві руські народості. It was interesting, although my Ukrainian was not really good enough to be able to fully say I understood it. Hopefully the next text will be easier.

Latin :
I started reading Dante's De Monarchia today, for a class paper. It is a fair bit more difficult than De Vulgari Eloquentia, mostly due to the prose being much denser, but similarities in the style are certainly detectable. I only read the first four chapters of book I, but so far it is interesting. Reading Mediaeval philosophy and Mediaeval Latin in general is always pleasant.

Català :
Avui, vaig fer els lliçons 53 i 54 del meu llibre Assimil.

Français :
Aujourd'hui, je lus le chapitre LXVII du Comte de Monte-Cristo et le chapitre VII du livre I du tome II des Misérables.
4 x

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt

Postby PfifltriggPi » Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:09 am

Français :
Aujourd'hui, je lus le chapitre LXIX du Comte de Monte-Cristo et le chapitre VIII du livre I du tome II des Misérables.

Català :
Avui vaig fer els lliçons 55 i 56 deu meu curs Assimil.

Latin :
I read chapters V through VIII of Dante's De Monarchia. Still interesting, both from a substantive and linguistic point of view.

Ukrainian :
The next text was not really easier, so, for the moment, I have stopped with the Parlons book. I am now doing the Teach Yourself course, and finished the first lesson. There was a surprisingly large amount of Ukrainian text in the dialogues of this lesson. However, I noticed that in the exercises there were numerous words used which were not in the vocabulary for the dialogues, and, although I knew most of them, I could not find where in the lesson they were defined. Perhaps I am just missing something.

In addition, I can very much see what Professor Argüelles meant when he said that the modern Teach Yourself books wasted large amounts of space with "lots of stupid exercises".
4 x

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt

Postby PfifltriggPi » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:54 am

Ukrainian :
I started lesson 2 of the Teach Yourself book today. I am actually learning a suprisingly large amount for such an early lesson, which is nice. Hopefully this lesson's exercises are better than the last one's.

Latin :
I read chapters IX through XII of De Monarchia today. A bit harder, but still enjoyable.

Catalan :
Today I did lessons 57 and 58 of the Assimil book. I am starting to approach the end, which is nice.

Français :
Dans mon cours de littérature, nous ne lisons pas les deux premiers livres du tome II des Misérables : mon devoir pour demain fut, donc, la lecture de tout le livre III du tome II. Il me fallut, donc, sauter le reste du livre I et la totalité du livre II, parce que j'en avais pas assez de temps aujourd'hui pour le lire tout. Cependant, je vais continuer depuis le chapitre VIII du tome I, où j'arrêtai hier, pour me rattraper, parce que je veux lire l’intégralité du livre. En addition, je lus le chapitre LXX du Comte de Monte-Cristo.
1 x

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt

Postby PfifltriggPi » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:09 am

Between classes and writing a paper due this morning, I did not have much time for languages yesterday, sadly.

Latin :
Today I read the last four chapters of part I De Monarchia. They were a bit more difficult, mostly due to the substance, not the words themselves. The next section seems like it will be more relevant for the paper in which I am hoping to use it.

Greek :
Yesterday I had another Modern Greek "lesson". It was about as useless and miserable as normal. I suppose the one upside is that I have yet to learn a grammatical concept which can honestly be described as "new" to me. (Ie, something I have yet to encounter in any language I know or have extensively studded.) This tends to mean that I can understand the concepts quite quickly without having to rely on my textbook's bad grammar explanations. Combined with the slow pace of the book in general and the excruciatingly slow pace of this "course", I have been able to progress without actually putting in any effort aside from Memrise. That said, I don't know if I can take another term of this.

Ukrainian :
I finished lesson two of the Teach Yourself course. The exercises in this lesson were much better, although still not great. I want more grammatical drilling, but they still had you producing sentences from English prompts, which was nice. There were still far to many "unscramble the sentence" type exercises, however.

Catalan :
Between yesterday and today I did from lessons 59 to 62 in my Assimil course. The end is in sight which is nice. Goodness knows that course has been sitting unattended on my shelf for long enough.

Français :
Hier et aujourd'hui, je lus les chapitres LXXI et LXXII du Comte de Monte-Cristo et les chapitres IX et X des Misérables. Je crois que, dans mon cours de littérature, on a terminé la lecture des Misérables, mais je vais poursuivre ma lecture, bien sûr.
3 x

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt

Postby PfifltriggPi » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:08 am

Français :
Aujorud'hui, je lus le chapitre XI du livre I du tome II des Misérables, qui fut très court. En revanche, le chapitre LXXIII du Comte de Monte-Cristo, que je lus aussi, fut très long.

Ukrainian :
I started lesson three, and the first dialogue seemed somehow shorter than most of the previous ones. I do not fully trust this textbook yet, although it should be applauded for presenting the grammar in a reasonably logical and clear way.

Latin :
I started the second section of De Monarchia. This section will, indeed, I believe, be more useful for my paper and is a bit more fun to read, simply due to the nature of the writing style, although if you are a normal person who does not derive pleasure from reading Mediaeval philosophy you might find otherwise.

Català :
Avui, vaig fer els lliçons 63 i 64 del meu curs Assimil.
4 x

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt

Postby PfifltriggPi » Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:03 am

I was, again, quite occupied yesterday, so I did not have time to do as much.

Català :
Avui, vaig fer els lliçons 65 i 66 del curs Assimil

Français :
Hier, j'apportai Les Misérables avec moi sur le train et je lus jusqu'au chapitre XVII du livre I du tome II. Aujourd'hui, je lus le chapitre XVIII. En addition, hier et aujourd'hui, je lus les chapitres LXXIV et LXXV du Comte de Monte-Cristo.

Ukrainian :
I finished lesson 3 of the Teach Yourself book today : the exercises were better, although the dialogue seemed somehow shorter.

Latin :
I continued reading part II of De Monarchia. I am about half-way through the book.
2 x

guyome
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N)

Postby guyome » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:50 am

PfifltriggPi wrote: sur le train (...) En addition
"Dans le train", unless you actually were somewhere upon the outside of the carriage :). "En addition" also sounds like it comes from English here. Maybe something like "De plus, hier et aujourd'hui, je lus..." or "Hier et aujourd'hui, je lus également..."/"Hier et aujourd'hui, j'ai aussi lu..." (the last one, with the passé composé, being more like what I'd expect to read on a forum).
2 x

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt

Postby PfifltriggPi » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:14 am

guyome wrote:
PfifltriggPi wrote: sur le train (...) En addition
"Dans le train", unless you actually were somewhere upon the outside of the carriage :). "En addition" also sounds like it comes from English here. Maybe something like "De plus, hier et aujourd'hui, je lus..." or "Hier et aujourd'hui, je lus également..."/"Hier et aujourd'hui, j'ai aussi lu..." (the last one, with the passé composé, being more like what I'd expect to read on a forum).

Merci.

Ukrainian :
I did not have much time for Ukrainian today, sadly, as nearly the entire day was full of classes. However, I did read the first section of chapter 4, which seems to introduce the genitive, although I have yet to actually read the grammar section.

Latin :
I continued reading the second section of De Monarchia. I believe I shall be able to finish that section tomorrow. The subchapters in this section are much longer than in section one.

Català :
Avui, vaig fer els lliçons 67 i 68 del curs Assimil. Ja he fet més que dos terços del llibre. Sóc feliç.

Français :
Je lus le chapitre LXXVI du Comte de Monte-Cristo et, en fin, je terminai le livre I du tome II des Misérables, en terminant le chapitre XIX

Italiano :
La mia professoressa della letteratura francese noi ha ricordati che le nostre tesine saranno dovute abastanza presto. Ergo, anche se non ho terminato De Monarchia, ho deciso a cominciare Il principe di Machiavelli, un altro libro che utilizzerò nella mia tesina. Oggi, ho letto l'introduzione all'opera nella mia collezione delle opere di Machiavelli. Era lunga, e non sono certo se sera utile, però era meno difficile che pensavo.
3 x

Return to “Language logs”