One country only, as much as you like, the rest of your life, which one?

General discussion about learning languages
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

One country only, as much as you like, the rest of your life, which one?

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:12 am

If suddenly we were all warped into a parrellel dimension in which travel worked like this (see below), which country would you choose (and why, if you like)?

You can choose one country in the world only. You can travel there as often and for as long as you like throughout the rest of your life, even take up permanent residency if you like. Money is not an issue. The choice can be made at any time after 18 years of age.

Edit:
I forgot my choice.... France, of course!

Edit 2: You're NOT allowed to visit any other country! (one country ONLY - aside from the country you reside in usually)
Last edited by PeterMollenburg on Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
4 x

lichtrausch
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean

Re: One country only, as much as you like, the rest of your life, which one?

Postby lichtrausch » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:35 pm

South Korea
2 x

lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:02 pm

At one time I would have said Italy but now I think it would be Portugal. The beaches that I've seen are much nicer. The food is good. It's affordable even if money weren't an issue. Low crime rates. It's well appointed for visiting other European countries.
4 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

Finny
Green Belt
Languages: English...

Postby Finny » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:56 pm

If I could wave a magic wand and transfer my job, home, and family to a different country for the rest of our lives, we'd either resettle in Canada, France, Germany, or New Zealand.

Germany would be the biggest adjustment since that's a language we'd all have to learn from scratch. Land's cheapest in Canada, and we'd like some acreage, so that might be the top choice, especially since it's also home to the most natural space of the four. France would be lovely since it's the foreign country the kids are most familiar with due to my filling the house with the language. However, in the end, I don't know if I'd be able to pass up the chance to permanently relocate us in a land as aligned with our ideals as New Zealand, especially after having had the global litmus test of COVID-19.

At any rate, I certainly wouldn't complain at having the privilege of choosing between such nations. :O)
1 x

dklinker
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Turkish (maintaining) Spanish (learning)

Postby dklinker » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:31 am

If we could also warp back in time, it would be Syria before the war. If we have to stay in the present time, probably Turkey but maybe Iraqi Kurdistan or Iran.
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:18 am

lingua wrote:At one time I would have said Italy but now I think it would be Portugal. The beaches that I've seen are much nicer. The food is good. It's affordable even if money weren't an issue. Low crime rates. It's well appointed for visiting other European countries.

Highlighting mine...

You're not allowed to visit any other country. (I've made an edit to my initial post). Basically you choose one country only and you are never allowed to visit another country.

So, bonus is that money is not an issue, you can go there as often as you like, stay as long as you want to, but it's the only country you can visit (outside your country of residence).
1 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:36 am

That's a tough one! There isn't one obvious answer but there are a few candidates that come to mind.

• Switzerland - French and German are the two languages that I'm the most committed to eventually mastering, and I'd also get to practice Italian too.
  • Canada - I'd still get to speak lots of French, and I'd also get the chance to travel to Nunavut and speak Inuktitut!
  • Denmark - Danish is cool, but it's on this list for the bonuses of Greenland and the Faroe Islands. Inuktitut and Icelandic are two of my favorite languages so I could at least be content with their cousins.
  • South Africa - It's a linguistic paradise! Xhosa is also one of my favorite languages (I guess I have a lot of them) and of course there are many other interesting languages spoken there. And the vistas and animals would be a great bonus!
It may sound a bit boring to pick a country that I can already drive to as my place for unlimited travel, but I think it's the strongest contender.
3 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:49 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:
lingua wrote:At one time I would have said Italy but now I think it would be Portugal. The beaches that I've seen are much nicer. The food is good. It's affordable even if money weren't an issue. Low crime rates. It's well appointed for visiting other European countries.

You're not allowed to visit any other country. (I've made an edit to my initial post). Basically you choose one country only and you are never allowed to visit another country.

So, bonus is that money is not an issue, you can go there as often as you like, stay as long as you want to, but it's the only country you can visit (outside your country of residence).

That's just mean. :cry:
2 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:03 am

lingua wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:

That's just mean. :cry:

Well, think about the fact that you get to visit your chosen country as many times as you like, for as long as you like. That's a fairly decent deal given how much travel I've done in recent times.

You could choose a country with multiple official languages - Switzerland or South Africa as has been suggested, for example. A big country such as Russia, Brazil, China or perhaps an island group like French Polynesia allowing you to explore tropical islands for what might seem endless. And how many islands does Greece have? there are options, despite the limitations ;)
2 x

MrPenguin
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (advanced)

Postby MrPenguin » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:31 am

I'd probably choose Finland, but that's mostly down to the fact that I *really* hate flying (or spending the whole day on a boat or a train, for that matter), and Finland is only about three hours away by car, so it's easy to visit. Sweden is similarly nearby, but Swedish isn't all that interesting to me as a language.

If we could add timetravel and teleportation into the mix, the Roman Empire might be a tempting target, assuming I could return home whenever I wanted. :)
3 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”