Lingua's Log: IT, DE, PT, FR (+ dabbling in LAT, SCN, PMS, etc)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Re: Lingua's 2020 IT, DE, PT, FR (+ dabbling in LAT, SCN, PMS, etc)

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:05 am

lingua wrote:French:
Memrise/Clozemaster
MHz Choice: Crime en … Bastia S2E3 (88 mins)
Kwiziq: A0 exercises & tests

The most recently watched episode of Crime en ... was pretty bad. There were comments on MHz Choice saying as much but unfortunately I didn't listen and ended up watching. It was a yawner..
France does produce its share of formulaic tosh :-) The best series I've come across is Les Petits Meurtres d'Agatha Christie (aka Agatha Christie's Criminal Games), Mafiosa was good too, but that one might have more violence than you'd like.
4 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:54 pm

lingua wrote:German:
Memrise/Clozemaster
Nico's Weg: 4.2-4.3
Assimil German w/Ease: Dialog 5-10
MHz Choice: Tatort: Borowski S3E4 (85 mins)
MHz Choice: Brunetti S1E1-2 (176 mins)
PMP Verb Tenses: 16.1-2

Are you in Level 1 of Nico's Weg? I'm noticing that they number all the lessons the same in each level. Are you liking it? I went over and took a look and I'm going to start Nico's Weg today or tomorrow and am also looking at Mission Berlin, also at the A1 level.

Which Memrise course/courses are you doing?
1 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:35 am

I'm doing the A1 Nico's Weg. There are 18 units which each consist of 4 sub-units. I refer to them as n.1-n.4. I don't exactly like it because I find the videos a bit contrived but that happens with many beginner level sources. But as far as doing all the exercises I think it's useful. To stay sane I only do one sub-unit at a time. At the moment I only do the exercises but don't look at the grammar notes since I've not yet run into anything I don't understand yet but when I come to that point I'll read them. There's also a little blurb about culture and society for each sub-unit. At the end of A1 there's a final test. A2 is the same. So is B1 except it looks like the instructions are all in German at that point which is a good idea.

As far as Memrise, I mostly use self-made courses which are either for some particularly grammar point or related to a resource I'm using. For example I have a Nico's Weg course that uses the vocabulary in each sub-unit. I have another with present tense verb conjugations for the top 50 verbs listed in 501 German verbs. I don't need to learn every single verb now but knowing the top 50 (by usage) is quite helpful. I also include any common irregular verbs that may not be part of the top 50. If I use a particular book I'll check to see if anyone has created a course and use it but often I don't like how they created it so end up doing my own anyway. The Assimil course is OK since it matches the lessons but unfortunately it has no audio. I also use Forvo for audio that doesn't already exist.

For other languages like Italian I create a course for different conjugations: one for imperative only , one for conditional (present) only, etc. Again only the top 50 and relatively common irregular verbs. It is easy to make the courses and it's a tool that can be used in a way that works for you. For me it's still the best SRS out there. When they had their Decks debacle I tried quizlet and anki and they aren't for me.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:41 pm

Latin
Memrise/Clozemaster
Textbook: Lingua Latina Per se Illustrata Pars 1 Famlia Romana by Hans Ørberg
Grammar: Lingua Latina A companion to Familia Romana by Jeanne Marie Neumann

Latin got the short end of the stick this week. By the time I did German Assimil, Piedmontese and Sicilian yesterday I was out of energy. So this week I'll try to get caught up on my Memrise reviews through chapter 4 of Lingua latina and complete the exercises of the second chapter. I started them but realized they were going to take more time than I had originally thought. Unfortunately, the book has no answer key. I believe there is an associated workbook with answers that I should probably get.

Piedmontese:
Clozemaster
La Lingua piemontese by Bruno Villata (4.0-4.2.4) <-- 28%

I managed about two thirds of Chapter 4 on adjectives. Long chapter. Covering how to treat adjectives with different endings (similar to nouns), various suffixes, etc.

Goal for next week is to to complete Chapter 4 and start Chapter 5 which also seems rather long.

Sicilian:
Memrise
Beginners Siclian by Joseph Privitera - Chapter 3

I'm following the same procedure as the last two chapters: write everything out in Sicilian, translate it, verify the translation and do the exercises. As I mentioned last week they're inconsistent. In the dialog they'll translate some phrase or word one way and then when I translate a similar sentence in the exercises it will translate differently. The meaning is pretty much the same so it's not a big deal.

I don't think I mentioned in other posts that besides the dialog in each chapter there's a list of vocabulary and phrases followed by some grammar point. The first chapter covered definite and indefinite articles. The second chapter covered nouns including gender and number. And the third chapter covered adjectives by gender and number as well as comparatives. The grammar portion is decent though it is pretty much the same as Italian. One difference is plurals have the same ending for both genders.

Goal for next week is to do Chapter 4.
2 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:58 pm

Italian:
Memrise
Reading: Una di Luna by Andrea De Carlo <-- 7%
Reading: Finalmente ho capito come leggere un bilancio by Maurizio De Pra & Silvia Castelli <-- 42%
Reading: 100 lampi di genio by Luca Novelli <-- 10%
italki teacher: one hour session
Easy Reader: Part 2 Chapter 8
Speechling: 55 mins
Recorded: 13 mins

Chapter 8 of the Easy Reader was about Lorenzo il Magnifico. Like usual I did the associated exercises after reading. I had decided to use 100 lampi di genio as my recording book but then I switched to Finalmente ho capito come leggere un bilancio instead because it's such a dry book I have trouble with being motivated to complete it. 100 lampi di genio is a book that includes other important people that he didn't write a stand alone book about. It's divided into classifications like lampi elettrici, lampi di luce, etc.

With Speechling I continue to do free form with words and phrases that I feel are more problematic pronunciation wise.

I completed Di noi tre by Andrea De Carlo. It was a very long book. It is a about the relationship between Livio, Marco and Misia and spans 20 some years. Livio is the narrator. Livio meets Misia and is smitten (though it's not reciprocated) but she ends up getting together with his best friend Marco. Eventually they end up with a son but split up before he's even born. Misia considers Livio to be her best friend. They all end up living in different countries at various times and often Livio doesn't see either one of them for several years though there are sporadic letters and phone calls. At the end it seems like everything will come full circle between the three of them. Some reviews suggest this is similar to Due di due but I don't agree with that assessment. Like the other two books by De Carlo that I read recently this starts out slow and you wonder if anything ever happens but eventually it does. The thing about De Carlo is he does a good job with developing his characters so they feel like real people. I binge bought a bunch of his books a while ago so will be continuing to read them.

dienoitre.jpg

Portuguese:
Memrise/Clozemaster
PT Lab: Lesson #33-34

PT Lab Lesson #33 covered the indefinites (having all, many, a few and none). Lesson #34 was about going out with someone using preposition + personal pronoun. These were all relatively straight forward. I have only seven more lessons and then I'll have completed the primary A1-A2 course at which time I will continue on with the the A1-A2 Vocabulary building courses along with the pronunciation course which I feel will be more beneficial for me since I'm starting to do much better with it and only have a few weak spots. I don't want to start the B1-B2 courses until I've done everything A1-A2 related. I would recommend this site to anyone who is interested in learning Euro Portuguese. Suzanne who runs it is fantastic and always creating new material to solidify understanding. I imagine she has to in order to keep people paying the monthly fee.

PT Lab has a forum and they started a book club a while back with assigned reading each week. They're on their third book which I thought about doing but couldn't find a digital version that was accessible in the US. I'm hoping the next book will be available to me because I like this idea. My intent is to start reading Portuguese books soon. I believe my vocabulary is sufficient enough to do so.

Doing German Assimil nearly every day is cutting into my IT/PT designated days unfortunately. Even though having a set schedule is definitely helping my balance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:27 pm

French:
Memrise/Clozemaster
MHz Choice: Crime en … Hossegor S2E4 (90 mins)
MHz Choice: Crime en … Maussane S2E5 (90 mins)
Kwiziq: A1 lessons/quizzes & review of some A0 lessons

I'm continuing to do the kwiqiz A1 verb conjugation lessons. I've also created a Memrise course for them. I bought a Practice Makes Perfect book for Verb conjugations though I haven't yet started it. Nor will I until I get further along because in glancing through the book it's assumed you already have some level of understanding as well as vocabulary. It's more for reinforcement.

German:
Memrise/Clozemaster
MHz Choice: Brunetti S1E4-5 (261 mins)
Nico's Weg: Things 5.1-5.4
Assimil German w/Ease: Dialogs 15-18
PMP German Verb Tenses: 17.5-6
German Verb Drills: Exercises 1-6

I did four Assimil dialogs. They're starting to take longer so doing one a day is probably more than I can manage since I prefer to do 3-4 different activities from multiple sources each day. I did one unit of Nico's Weg on "things" meaning objects. The accusative was introduced as well. I'm starting to appreciate this free source a little more.

I finished up unit 17 of PMP covering reflexive verbs and decided I didn't want to continue with that book as I now have to many different conjugations rattling around in my brain. So I switched to German Verb Drills starting back with the present tense. This time I'm making sure I understand all the sentences. I didn't take the time to look up words with PMP but now I feel I need to since my vocabulary is much bigger then it was when I started. German Verb Drills is by the same author as the PMP verb tenses book (same publisher too) and she gives even less explanation so I'll work through it until I reach the point where I was in the prior book. The order is slightly different so there could be some exercises I'll need to skip.

For some reason I've completely neglected Speechling this week with both German and Italian so I'll need to get back to it next week. I don't typically do it on the weekend since I'm not home alone then and I feel a bit stupid talking into the computer with my spouse around. Not that he minds but I have a certain level of self-consciousness about it. :oops:
3 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:27 pm

Latin
Memrise/Clozemaster
Textbook: Lingua Latina Per se Illustrata Pars 1 Famlia Romana by Hans Ørberg
ScorpioMartianus: cap 2-4 (28 mins)

I listened to cap 2-4 of ScorpioMartianus and did all of the Lingua Latina exercises in cap 2. I read chapter 3-4 of the companion book. I've ordered the Exercise and Teachers Manual which has the answers to the textbook. I need to know that I'm doing the exercises correctly. I'm also keeping up with the Memrise reviews of the Lingua Latina course. At this point I've encountered very few new words so it doesn't take very long.

This weeks goal is to do the cap 3 exercises, listen to cap 3-5 and read chapter 5 of the companion book. Once I get the Teachers Manual I should be able to go a little faster with the exercises because right now I'm trying to verify by checking the text which is time consuming.

Piedmontese:
Clozemaster
La Lingua piemontese by Bruno Villata (4.2.5 - 5) <-- 53%

I completed Chapter 4 on adjectives and read Chapter 5 on pronouns which was also a long chapter. Goal for next week is to complete Chapter 5 which is on verbs. While this book is quite detailed it's not organized in the most useful way for a learner. It's more of a reference book.

I've ordered some additional books from amazon.it on grammar plus a dictionary. I would have preferred a digital version of the dictionary but this will have to do. I also got a couple of books with piemontese/italiano text. Camillo Brero is the author or co-author of most of the purchased books so I'm guessing he has a bit of a passion for the language.

Sicilian:
Memrise
Beginners Siclian by Joseph Privitera - Chapter 4

I read Chapter 4 and did the exercises. The grammar was on augmentatives and diminutives. Next up will be Chapter 5.

Sadly, mondadoristore.it (previously bol.it) who I've been ordering from for the last 15+ years is no longer shipping internationally. This forced me to use amazon.it or ibs.it but the latter tends to charge more for shipping so amazon it is. So I picked up a couple of siciliano books. And a napolatano.

Whenever possible I prefer ebooks for these various languages/dialects. However they aren't always available to me in the US but when they are I am seeing that Kobo is much cheaper than amazon for the European books but not for American books. Kobo also has some that Amazon doesn't.
4 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:02 pm

Italian:
Memrise
Reading: Una di Luna by Andrea De Carlo <-- 16%
Reading: Finalmente ho capito come leggere un bilancio by Maurizio De Pra & Silvia Castelli <-- 57%
Reading: 100 lampi di genio by Luca Novelli <-- 10%
italki teacher: one hour session
Easy Reader: Part 2 Chapter 9-11
Recorded: 48 mins

I read three chapters of the Easy Reader. Chapter 9 was on Cristoforo Colombo, 10 was about Galileo Galilei and 11 was regarding Masaniello which was the only one I never heard of. I answered all the questions at the end of each chapter. I'm a little bored with this book but I think the writing is valuable so I'm planning to continue with it.

Portuguese:
Memrise/Clozemaster
PT Lab: Lesson #35-38
Wrote: 168 words

PT Lab Lesson #35-36 both covered talking about past events using the pretérito perfeito simples (simple past). The first covered irregular verbs while the latter discussed regular verbs. Lesson #37 covered expressing opinions using the verbs achar, pensar & acreditar. Last Lesson #38 was regarding relative pronouns. Nothing difficult here.

I feel it's important to write regularly but I never know what to write so I'm taking the sentences that PT Lab provides in the extra audio exercise section of each lesson and writing a bunch of other sentences based on it. So for example if the sentence is "you are thirsty" I'll write I am thirsty, she is hungry, they are thirsty, etc. If there is an noun involved I'll modify it to use different nouns choosing both genders. Or if the sample sentence includes an adjective I'll switch to other adjectives that make sense in context. Doing it this way gives me a better chance of writing grammatically correct sentences.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:49 pm

Thanks to someone posting about the 50% off on all Assimil e-course apps I now have German and French. I first bought the German one and did the first four lesson/dialogs to see how it worked. I liked it so I also bought the French. I had read some negative reviews about their e-courses but I think they're fine. Easy to use and more importantly the font is large enough for me to easily read. The German Assimil book has been retired to the bookcase.

Some people might consider it a negative that when you miss one of the exercises you have to redo all five of them (in the two separate exercise types) but for me that's a plus due to the repetitiveness. My only complaint is that the apps require you to logon frequently as it doesn't retain the logon for more than a few hours. It's also a little slow on the initial load of the lesson. But the important thing is the way it's organized which is working well for me.

French:
Memrise/Clozemaster
Kwiziq: A1 lessons/quizes
Assimil: Dialog 1-2
Wrote: 300 words

Just like last week I continue to do the kwiziq A1 verb conjugation lessons and as I do each one I add it to my memrise verb conjugation course that is in process. I also did the first two Assimil dialogs. The French ones seem much more difficult than German which I'm sure is because of my lower level. I will only be doing three lessons per week. I need French to stay at a lower level than Portuguese otherwise I'm going to get too much interference.

German:
Memrise/Clozemaster/Speechling
MHz Choice: Brunetti S1E7 (87 mins)
Assimil German w/Ease: Dialogs 19-23
German Verb Drills: Exercises 7-14
Wrote: 678 words

I've done five Assimil dialogs this week. I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to do one a day more easily with the Asismil app so that will be the goal for next week. With Speechling I'm doing free-form using the sentences from the earlier Assimil dialogs. I've done the first five so far. I seem to be consistent with my pronunciation errors in German. Still the ch sound (like in ich) and the tsch sound. Most other sounds are pretty good. I'm also doing the Assimil memrise course and have kept up with the dialogs. I'm way behind with reviews but I'm ok with that.

German Verb Drills is divided into five parts and I've completed the first part which concluded with Exercise 14. Part 1 covered present tense conjugation including stem ending variations, separable verbs and auxiliary modals. I did pretty well with these exercises and feel like it was a good use of my time to review at this point. I've compared the organization of this book with the PMP book and it looks like I will go back to PMP after competing the first three parts.
3 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:01 pm

Latin
Memrise/Clozemaster
Textbook: Lingua Latina Per se Illustrata Pars 1 Familia Romana by Hans Ørberg
ScorpioMartianus: cap 4-5 (19 mins)

I listened to cap 4-5 of ScorpioMartianus and read chapter 5 of the companion book. I decided not to do any more exercises until I get the Teachers Manual with the answers which should arrive tomorrow. After five chapters of Familia Romana I have concluded that this source works for me. The stories hold my interest and the pace of new material is reasonable. It helps that I already know most of the vocabulary. If it weren't for the companion book I'd need to spend more time with the sidebar information in the book. In spite of that I think I'd be much further along with Latin grammar if I had started with this source much earlier.

Piedmontese:
Clozemaster
La Lingua piemontese by Bruno Villata (chapter 6) <-- 74%

I completed Chapter 6 on verbs. This chapter was more difficult because of the way the book is organized. I would have preferred having the typical tables that show the different endings. Instead it's in the same free form style as it goes through all the different conjugations. Hopefully the grammar book I ordered will have the more useful format but it won't arrive until the end of the month. If it's not then I'll take the time to make my own tables because otherwise I won't remember much.

Sicilian:
Memrise
Beginners Siclian by Joseph Privitera (Chapter 5)

I read Chapter 5 and did the exercises. The dialog was about asking for directions and the grammar covered numbers (ordinal & cardinal), telling time and words like pair, dozen, etc. Next up will be Chapter 6.
2 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

Return to “Language logs”