Learning Japanese From Zero

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Re: Learning Japanese from zero by listening: 2020 Log

Postby vonPeterhof » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:31 pm

golyplot wrote:Do Japanese schools not have dedicated spaces for eating? All the schools I've seen in the US had giant cafeteria rooms for that purpose. Come to think of it, I don't recall seeing anything like a cafeteria in Cardcaptor Sakura. But in the rare cases where they were shown eating, it was always outdoors scattered among the school grounds, not blocking the hallways like in the skit from Erin's Challenge.

From what I've managed to glean from anime and manga most Japanese schools do have cafeterias, but lunch in there isn't free, so a lot of students prefer to bring their own lunches from home, and going to sit in the cafeteria with your own food tends to be either prohibited or frowned upon. Students with their own lunches will generally eat it in their classrooms during winter or somewhere on the grounds when it's warmer (what's shown in the skit seems like a bit of a middle ground variant, a balcony walkway behind the classrooms). There's also the notorious phenomenon of students (and even some adults at their workplaces) who have no close friends developing a complex about being seen eating lunch all alone and ending up eating in restroom stalls.
7 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Wed Oct 14, 2020 3:00 am

While watching ep2 of Cannon Busters, I noticed that Joe-Bob had what sounded like a European accent to me. Can anyone more skilled at Japanese tell whether he actually had an accent and if so what kind?

Also, I watched another Natsuki Hanae video today. I couldn't understand much and didn't know anything about the game, but I still laughed quite a bit at their antics, and I did manage to occasionally understand a word or two.

1 x

白田龍
Orange Belt
Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, French, Persian, Arabic, Mandarin, Japanese.

Postby 白田龍 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:07 am

golyplot wrote:While watching ep2 of Cannon Busters, I noticed that Joe-Bob had what sounded like a European accent to me.

Anime gangsters have a special dialect, which he uses, (a thrilled r (rrrrrr), has been called a yakuza accent), but on top of that, I felt he was made to sound unintellingent, in a very exagerated fashion.
5 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)

Postby golyplot » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:00 pm

白田龍 wrote:Anime gangsters have a special dialect, which he uses, (a thrilled r (rrrrrr), has been called a yakuza accent), but on top of that, I felt he was made to sound unintellingent, in a very exagerated fashion.

Ah, that would explain it. I tend to associate the trilled r with Italians or the like, but it seemed odd.
0 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:54 am

My Japanese studies have been going very slowly due to limited time an energy, especially as WK takes the lion share of that. I decided to try to look up the unknown grammar points in the EC lesson 2 Advanced Skit. However, I'm puzzled by the very first scene.

おじさん: ごめんね。やきそばパン、終わっちゃったなあ。ごめんね。

This line has two grammar points I looked up: ちゃった and なあ. From what I've read, these are both very casual forms, so I'm confused about why they would be used in this situation. Of course, the explanations I found for the meaning were also pretty vague.
1 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:19 pm

golyplot wrote:I decided to try to look up the unknown grammar points in the EC lesson 2 Advanced Skit. However, I'm puzzled by the very first scene.

This line has two grammar points I looked up: ちゃった and なあ. From what I've read, these are both very casual forms, so I'm confused about why they would be used in this situation. Of course, the explanations I found for the meaning were also pretty vague.

I don't know the context but does this help with the meaning: http://maggiesensei.com/2010/09/14/requ ... au-chatta/ ?
0 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby golyplot » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:11 pm

dampingwire wrote:I don't know the context but does this help with the meaning: http://maggiesensei.com/2010/09/14/requ ... au-chatta/ ?

That was the page I found when searching.
0 x

白田龍
Orange Belt
Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, French, Persian, Arabic, Mandarin, Japanese.

Postby 白田龍 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:58 pm

-chatta is used a lot in anime, I see it as a past tense used when things go wrong.

It is related to "shimatta" = I blew it.

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/unintended.html

Naa... is easy to understand: it doesn't mean anything. No need to try to analyse the nuances it conveys, you should get used to it quickly.
3 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:38 pm

golyplot wrote:However, I'm puzzled by the very first scene.

This line has two grammar points I looked up: ちゃった and なあ.

I watched the video and I can conclude that this sentence means something a bit like:

"Oh man, I'm sorry. I've run out of yakisoba, kid. You've got terrible luck. I'm sorry."
From what I've read, these are both very casual forms, so I'm confused about why they would be used in this situation. Of course, the explanations I found for the meaning were also pretty vague.

I think they're used here because it's an older man talking to a kid, and he has that liberty. But don't quote me on that. The kid would be using the casual forms because he's talking to himself, and therefore not putting his elder in a lower place. Like the site you visited said (and which @dampingwire linked), it expresses a completed action. A "has been done." There's a good explanation here, I think.

Putting both grammar points together, it's something like: "I must apologize, you know. I screwed up again by not making enough yakisoba! Let me say sorry."

Notice the sentence endings. They're an important part of the conversation. -ね as I looked up can be used in both masculine and feminine speech, but here it's being used as tough-guy speech, I believe.

Overall I think the speech reflects the exaggerated nature of the program. I don't think most people would speak so strictly to this mold.

Let me know if I got anything wrong, guys! I'm still learning. ;)
3 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:51 pm

I don't think there's anything particularly weird about the school store salesman talking to the kids in casual forms. As a member of the school staff or contracted personnel he's not exactly in a subservient position, but he's also not directly responsible for their education, so his relationship to the kids can be pretty informal (apparently school students often refer to those salespeople simply as おじさん or おばさん instead of something like 店員さん). There are a few other customer service positions that tend to eschew the traditional "customer is God" framing, like street and carnival vendors, or owners of certain kinds of bars or ramen shops (ones who greet their customers with へいらっしゃい instead of いらっしゃいませ). Oh, and there's nothing particularly tough guy about ごめんね, it's just a very informal and cordial sort of apology.
3 x

Return to “Language logs”