Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Re: Learning With Texts (LWT) has been discontinued and deleted

Postby Cainntear » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:28 pm

Xenops wrote:Wait, didn't Duolingo purchase Readlang? Or am I thinking of something else?

Steve was hired as a software engineer by Duolingo to work on Duolingo stories -- they didn't buy out Readlang. He stopped working on the site when he took the job, and I believe he switched everyone to the free tier rather than cancelling it.

It looks like they told him it was OK to continue the site, as it's definitely been updated since then and they're taking premium subscriptions again.
4 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Wed Sep 23, 2020 8:47 pm

rdearman wrote:
ivargas2 wrote:
MorkTheFiddle wrote:
Cainntear wrote: It'll probably be possible to get it working on Linux until the fall of civilisation though. ;-)

LWT depends on mySql and EasyPHPDevServer. Any change in them could affect the functioning of LWT, and, in fact, has already done so. And the developer himself once noted that he could not keep up with all the various distributions of Linux, so there is another potential break. In my humble opinion, without a developer to maintain LWT, sooner or later it will break permanently.

What would you do then? I'm in my first month using LWT, with more than 5000 words and doing all my reading studies there. I used to use Lingq, but things got tough here in Argentina, so I decided to look for something cheap(or free) and I found LWT. My concern is, could I lose all my texts imported into LWT? I just don't want to lose time and put the effort in vain.

you won't lose anything. The program is installed on your machine, so as long as you're backing up the database (LWT has an option for that) then you'll be able to use the version you have for as long as you want.

I back up my LWT file almost daily and store a copy of it on Google Drive.
Occasionally there is a glitch in the database, and I have to use Easy PHP for a repair, but the app itself is quite stable.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

ivargas2
Languages: Portuguese (N), Spanish (C1), English (B2), French (A1)

Postby ivargas2 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:19 am

rdearman wrote:
ivargas2 wrote:
MorkTheFiddle wrote:
Cainntear wrote: It'll probably be possible to get it working on Linux until the fall of civilisation though. ;-)

LWT depends on mySql and EasyPHPDevServer. Any change in them could affect the functioning of LWT, and, in fact, has already done so. And the developer himself once noted that he could not keep up with all the various distributions of Linux, so there is another potential break. In my humble opinion, without a developer to maintain LWT, sooner or later it will break permanently.

What would you do then? I'm in my first month using LWT, with more than 5000 words and doing all my reading studies there. I used to use Lingq, but things got tough here in Argentina, so I decided to look for something cheap(or free) and I found LWT. My concern is, could I lose all my texts imported into LWT? I just don't want to lose time and put the effort in vain.

you won't lose anything. The program is installed on your machine, so as long as you're backing up the database (LWT has an option for that) then you'll be able to use the version you have for as long as you want.

That's better then. I'm kinda new to this, thanks!!
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:08 am

But since you can't get the source code anymore you might want to backup your lwt folder also periodically.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Postby Stefan » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:08 am

rdearman wrote:But since you can't get the source code anymore you might want to backup your lwt folder also periodically.

There are mirrors, for the time being: https://gitlab.com/paraplegicracehorse/ ... with-texts
2 x

eldarion

Postby eldarion » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:19 pm

post deleted
Last edited by eldarion on Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
6 x
account has been closed

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:01 am

Totally OT: Why do the SourceForge pages say this?
And please NEVER download the software from GitLab or GitHub repositories!
Are there some kind of politics going on here that I'm ignorant of?
0 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

Doitsujin
Green Belt
Languages: German (N)

Postby Doitsujin » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:55 am

tangleweeds wrote:Totally OT: Why do the SourceForge pages say this?
And please NEVER download the software from GitLab or GitHub repositories!
Are there some kind of politics going on here that I'm ignorant of?

My guess is that whoever re-uploaded LWT:

a) had a hard time finding the latest version and wants to make sure that language learners don't download outdated versions
b) simply doesn't trust or like Github.

Hopefully, the uploader will clarify his/her anti-Github stance.
0 x

eldarion

Postby eldarion » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:59 am

post deleted
Last edited by eldarion on Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
account has been closed

Ingaræð
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (heritage)
Learning: Russian, French, German, Mandarin, Arabic, Spanish.
Mostly forgotten: Italian, Welsh.

Postby Ingaræð » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:11 pm

This is from the changelog in the above-mentioned version 2.0.0 (modified from the previous version 1.6.3):

Changelog - [↑]

2.0.0 (October 04 2020):
No code changes. Sourceforge links corrected.
The old links [lwt.sf.net], [lwt.sourceforge.net] or [sourceforge.net/projects/lwt] are no longer valid!
The new links are now learning-with-texts.sourceforge.io (documentation and demo database) and sourceforge.net/projects/learning-with-texts (project home and downloads).

1.6.3 (April 06 2020):
Some missing confirmation dialogues (when deleting a single text, text tag, term, term tag, or language) added.

1.6.3 was the last official version, and if you have that then there seems to be little reason to 'upgrade' at present. Version 1.6.0 was dated 2016-01-28. I get the impression that someone is touting an 'upgrade' for their own reasons...

I would say that the GitLab/GitHub repos are absolutely fine unless someone can prove otherwise. Edit: I already had a copy of 1.6.3, but downloaded the installation instructions from GitLab and they were fine.
3 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”