How many countries/cities have you travelled?

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
vegantraveller
White Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (C2), French (C2), German (B2), Japanese (B2), Swedish (A2).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=14635

Re: How many countries/cities have you travelled?

Postby vegantraveller » Thu May 28, 2020 6:49 pm

Travelling is my biggest passion together with language learning. Before Covid-19, I used to travel a lot, both for work and for leisure.
Here is the list with countries, cities, and regions I have been so far (I will try to regularly update it). The great absent is Latin America, unfortunately. I have subdivided Italy in regions, since it is my home country and I regularly spend short weekends exploring it:

ITALY (domestic travel - 16 regions out of 20):
Abruzzo: I travelled the highways and byways of it, I went there twice and loved it. It's mostly mountainous, with rugged landscapes and little medieval towns and castles scattered all around. The main centres are Pescara, Chieti, Sulmona, and L'Aquila.
Aosta Valley: Aosta, Courmayeur, Valtournenche & Cervinia, numerous medieval little towns with their beautiful castles.
Apulia: Alberobello, Taranto, Lecce.
Campania: Caserta only, on a daytrip from Cassino. I have unfortunately not been to Naples yet... Hope to visit it someday soon.
Emilia-Romagna: Bologna, Piacenza, Modena, Reggio Emilia, Ferrara, Rimini.
Lazio: Rome, Tivoli, Cassino (the city my father lived in when he was a teenager, I happened to go there quite often until my paternal grandparents were still alive).
Liguria: Genoa, the West Riviera, the Cinqueterre.
Lombardy: Milan, Pavia, Bergamo, Cremona, Lake Garda (Lombard shore).
Marche: Ancona, Urbino.
Molise: my family's region: my grandparents moved to Turin in the 1950's but they always had strong ties with this tiny, mostly mountainous, region. I've been there quite a lot when I was a child, and more recently, when my maternal grandmother moved there again until she passed away a couple of years ago. I have been to the province of Isernia and the coastal town of Termoli.
Piedmont (the region I live in): Turin (my city), the Po Hills (Chieri), Susa Valley, Ivrea & Canavese, Cuneo, Cuneo Alpine valleys, Mondovì and the Monregalese, Langhe & Roero area (Alba and numerous medieval hill towns), Monferrato (Asti, Casale Monferrato, Acqui Terme, and numerous medieval hill towns), Alessandria, Vercelli, Biella, Lake Maggiore (Piedmont shore).
Sicily: Palermo, Catania, Taormina.
Trentino-Alto Adige: Trento, Rovereto, Lake Garda (Trentino shore), Valsugana, Brenta Dolomites, Bolzano, Val d'Ega/Eggertal.
Tuscany: Florence, Pisa, Lucca, Siena, San Gimignano and Monteriggioni, Val d'Orcia (Montalcino), Pienza, Montepulciano, Grosseto & Maremma.
Umbria: Perugia, Assisi, Orvieto.
Veneto: Venice, Verona, Lake Garda (Veneto shore), Padua, Colli Euganei.

EUROPE
Albania: Tirana, Shkoder, Durres, Vlore.
Austria: Vienna, Salzburg, Graz.
Belgium: Brussels.
Bosnia and Herzegovina: Sarajevo, Mostar, Medjugorje, Neum.
Bulgaria: Sofia, Plovdiv.
Croatia: Zagreb, Istria.
Cyprus: Nicosia, Larnaca, Limassol.
Czech Republic: Prague, Česky Krumlov.
Denmark: Copenhagen, Aarhus.
Finland: just crossed the border from Swedish Lapland (Karesuando) to Finnish Lapland (Kaaresuvanto) - does it count? :lol:
France: Paris, Strasbourg, Loire Valley, Dijon, Bordeaux, Lyon, St. Etienne, Marseille and Provence, Nice and the French Riviera, the French Alps and Savoy (Chambéry).
Germany: Berlin, Potsdam, Neumünster, Düsseldorf, Cologne, Frankfurt am Main, Nuremberg, Munich, Eichstätt, Stuttgart.
Greece: Athens, Karpathos.
Hungary: Budapest.
Iceland: Reykjavík, the Golden Circle.
Ireland: Dublin.
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg
Malta
Monaco
Montenegro: Podgorica.
Netherlands: Amsterdam.
Norway: Narvik only (a daytrip from Swedish Lapland).
Poland: Krakow.
Portugal: Lisbon, Porto.
Romania: Bucharest, Sibiu.
Russia: Moscow, Saint Petersburg.
Serbia: Belgrade, Novi Pazar.
Slovakia: Bratislava.
Slovenia: Ljubljana, Nova Gorica.
Spain: Madrid, Barcelona, Castille (Salamanca, Ávila, Segovia, Ciudad Rodrigo and the mountainous region of La Alberca), Andalusia (Seville, Granada, Malaga and the coast), Lanzarote.
Sweden: Stockholm, Eksjö, Gothenburg, Uppsala, Umeå, Östersund, Kiruna and Swedish Lapland, Visby and Gotland.
Switzerland: Zürich, Geneva, Lausanne, Lugano.
Turkey: Istanbul.
UK: London, Brighton and the Southeast coast, Canterbury, Winchester, Southampton, Bath, Bristol, the Cotswolds, Cambridge, Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Yorkshire, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Gibraltar.
Vatican City

AFRICA
Algeria: Algiers, Oran, Mostaganem, Béjaia, Constantine, Annaba, Sétif.
Tunisia: Tunis, Carthage, Sidi bou Said, Nabeul, Sfax.

MIDDLE EAST
Israel: Jerusalem, Tel Aviv-Jaffa.
Palestine: Bethlehem.
UAE: Dubai.

ASIA
China: Beijing, Shanghai, Hangzhou, Ningbo, Xi'an, Kunming, Guangzhou, Shenzhen.
Hong Kong
India: Delhi, Mumbai, Pune, Bangalore.
Japan: Tokyo, Nikko, Hakone, Nagoya, Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Himeji, Hiroshima, Fukuoka, Sapporo, Okinawa.
Malaysia: Kuala Lumpur.
Singapore
Taiwan: Taipei, Taichung.

OCEANIA
Australia: Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane.
New Zealand: Auckland, Christchurch.

NORTH AMERICA
Canada: Toronto, Niagara Falls, Montreal, Vancouver, British Columbia, Banff and Jasper National Parks.
USA: New York City, Hartford (CT), Los Angeles, San Francisco.
1 x
: 74 / 2500 SC JA books
: 225 / 4500 SC JA films
: 86 / 2500 SC SV books
: 735 / 4500 SC SV films
I'm a man from Italy, not an owl from Japan :mrgreen:

Please correct my errors!

fresh_air
Yellow Belt
Languages: English*, Portuguese

Learning: Russian

Postby fresh_air » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:19 am

Brazil - São Paulo, Curitiba, Foz do Iguaçu, Rio de Janeiro, Cabo Frio, Uberlandia, Pato de Minas, Santos, São Vicente, Praia Grande, Lavras, Recife, Salvador, Fortaleza, Natal, João Pessoa, Olinda, Maceió, Aracaju

Argentina - Puerto Iguazú

United States - Seattle, Anchorage, Portland, Las Vegas

Finland - Far north Lapland (I forget the name).

Canada - Vancouver

Norway - Oslo, Alta, Kautokeino

Germany - Frankfurt, Mainz, Bremen

Scotland - Glasgow

The Netherlands - Amsterdam

Czech Rep. - Prague

Next location - Ukraine!
1 x

jmar257
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), español (Intermediate), français (Lower Intermediate)

Tempted by: Latin, German

Postby jmar257 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:14 pm

Foreign Countries:
France--Paris, Normandy
Mexico--Cancun
Canada--Toronto
Zimbabwe--Vic Falls, couple of national parks
South Africa--Johannesburg
Germany--Stuttgart
Belgium--Brussels

US:
Tracking cities here is going to be too long...so states:
New York
Maryland
Pennsylvania
Washington, D.C. (okay, not a state, sue me)
Virginia
North Carolina
South Carolina
Tennessee
Georgia
Iowa
Alabama
Mississippi (driving through)
Louisiana
Florida
Texas
Oklahoma
Nevada
Arizona

I'd like to do a road trip through Europe one day. I feel like you get to know the character of a place better driving through than you do just flying in and seeing a few cities...
0 x

Djylia01
Languages: English ( B2), German( beginner)

Postby Djylia01 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:55 pm

Сountries I have been to:

Belgium, Czech Republic, Finland, France, Germany.
I'm in love with France!
0 x

SheriGoddart75
Languages: English (С2), German (С1), Swedish (А2) and Russian (С1)
+ Spanish (beginner)

Postby SheriGoddart75 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:04 pm

OO, in fact, the list is very small, I plan to significantly expand it after the virus. Now there are Sweden, France, Germany, Denmark, Spain, Italy and Turkey in my list)
I really want to visit China, Japan or India, I think it's a really new world)
0 x

adam11j
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B2).

Postby adam11j » Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:28 am

In the last few months it was Spain, France and Croatia.

I love travelling in small European towns.
0 x

Montmorency2020
Languages: English(N), German (C1),Welsh (B2?),French (B2?),Spanish (B1?),Norwegian ( somewhat experienced beginner), Czech (beginner/dabbler).

Have also dabbled in Danish, Italian, Biblical Hebrew, NT Greek (Koine).

Postby Montmorency2020 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:00 am

(In case any Admins read this, I am really "Montmorency", but currently unable to login under that name, as I forgot my password (after a long time away), and was unable to get the lost-password/password reset to send me a new password (or if it did, it went into an internet black hole).

I later found the "help" email address, and have emailed it, so hopefully I'll get a reply in due course, but if the duty admin happens to see this first, may I ask you to look out for a plaintive email from montmorency@.....uk

Thank you.

--------------

Anyway, this seems like a fun little thread, so I will try to remember my countries, roughly in the order that I first visited them. I'm not particularly well-travelled, and it's mostly Europe:

France
Belgium
(West) Germany (and Eastern Germany later, after reunification)
Netherlands
Italy
USA
Denmark
Switzerland
Spain (including Canary Isles)
Peru
South Africa (Capetown).
Cuba
Sweden
Norway (Visited the Russian border from there, but didn't cross it).

and that was about it until last year when I added:
Czech Republic
Poland (actually only Görlitz, which as people may know is about 3/4 in Germany, and 1/4 in Poland, straddling the Neisse river)

And this year, added Austria (Vienna, although had made a very tiny short token visit across the Austrian border from Germany once before). Also visited Czech Republic and Poland again this year. (We now have a family member living there, not far from both the Polish and German borders. Would probably have gone a lot more often, had it not been for the dreaded Covid-19).

I suppose I should add that I was born in, and live in England, and have visited Scotland, Wales, the Republic of Ireland, Jersey in the Channel Islands, but not Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man.
0 x

Language patzer
White Belt
Languages: Greek native, English C2, French B2

Postby Language patzer » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:45 pm

Italy, France, Austria. I loved all of them. I hope that after this pandemic I will visit many more.
0 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”