Verb drill audio program

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
siouxchief
Yellow Belt
Languages: Learning French

Verb drill audio program

Postby siouxchief » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:39 pm

Hi there,

Can anyone recommend a program that drills verbs by asking you in English then pausing and giving you the French?

Id like some audio saying "I will walk" pause then they give the French. Then they say "We were speaking" pause give the French etc etc

Pimsleur kinda does it but the verb coverage and tenses isn't massive plus other verb drill audio I have heard they just go through verb tables.

Even when asking you randomly the verbs in the table they just give you "nous" or "je" and you give the rest where as I'd like to be making the link from English to French. Reason being I can after parroting off the table a few times supply the nous or ils Imparfait for example but may not know the English of them quickly weirdly.

Any ideas?

Thanks
1 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Re: Verb drill audio program

Postby Kraut » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:12 pm

0 x

siouxchief
Yellow Belt

Postby siouxchief » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:15 pm

Thanks Kraut, I'll take a look
0 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:11 am

You can roll your own audio drills using GradInt. However, note that things aren't randomised and everything recurs on a fixed schedule, so you have to add the sentences in an already-randomised order to make the whole thing feel randomised.
Note also that because it's working on a fixed memory schedule based on Paul Pimsleur's original work. The Pimsleur courses don't stick to Pimsleur's own schedule, and one of the consequences of following it rigidly is that there are long periods of silence in the first few lessons. I've only ever used GradInt to revise material from other courses, so what I used to do was to generate the first five lessons and ignore them. From then on, every session was fine, with no unnecessary breaks or pauses.
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:14 pm

Cainntear wrote:You can roll your own audio drills using GradInt. However, note that things aren't randomised and everything recurs on a fixed schedule, so you have to add the sentences in an already-randomised order to make the whole thing feel randomised.
Note also that because it's working on a fixed memory schedule based on Paul Pimsleur's original work. The Pimsleur courses don't stick to Pimsleur's own schedule, and one of the consequences of following it rigidly is that there are long periods of silence in the first few lessons. I've only ever used GradInt to revise material from other courses, so what I used to do was to generate the first five lessons and ignore them. From then on, every session was fine, with no unnecessary breaks or pauses.

I just loaded them into Audacity and removed silences over 2 minutes. :)
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:01 pm

rdearman wrote:
Cainntear wrote:I've only ever used GradInt to revise material from other courses, so what I used to do was to generate the first five lessons and ignore them. From then on, every session was fine, with no unnecessary breaks or pauses.

I just loaded them into Audacity and removed silences over 2 minutes. :)

That works too. However, I figured that by doing it this way, things would feel more random as some of the stuff would already be shuffled into the deck, and the algorithm wouldn't be treating everything as new, so some things would pop up less often, some more often.
0 x

siouxchief
Yellow Belt

Postby siouxchief » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:50 pm

Thanks all, I will try Gradint also. Definitely need to start speeding up my verb abilities!
0 x

siouxchief
Yellow Belt

Postby siouxchief » Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:28 pm

For any one interested in future I found an app that does pretty much what I wanted to do. Called verb squirt on Android.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... rtenfrfree

You can build a custom exercise out of specific verbs or tenses then it drills you on them and outputs the audio also which is great.

With the exercises it does only give you 10 seconds before telling you the answer. I would ideally like to allow more time or allow me to choose when to tell me the answer but c'est la vie.
2 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”