Introduce yourself here

General discussion about learning languages
DaisyHartwell
Languages: English (N), Mandarin (beginner), Russian (B2)soil

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby DaisyHartwell » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:20 pm

rdearman wrote:You don't do things by halves do you! :)

Yep, that's true 8-)
0 x

YoursTruly
Languages: English (N), Polish (Beginner), Russian (Beginner)

Postby YoursTruly » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:31 pm

Hello, I am new to the forum! I am 28 years old, studying for a TEFL certification so that I can get some different types of work experience in teaching. Other than that I have worked in finance primarily. I live in Minnesota in the United States and I am studying Polish because my fiancée and I are hoping to move to either Krakow or Gdansk if/when travel restrictions are lifted. I have on and off studied a few languages over the years, but never really committed to one unfortunately. I know bits and pieces of Spanish, Russian, and German but nothing to the extent I would consider myself conversational.
I am incredibly motivated for Polish though because of having an actual goal of moving there and not just a "Oh it would be nice to speak" like my other attempts at languages have been.

Looking forward to getting to know you all and helping/being helped with language learning goals! :mrgreen:
6 x

desperatemonolingual
Languages: English (N), European Spanish (C1, tested), Portuguese (low B1, estimated)

Postby desperatemonolingual » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:18 pm

Hi, I'm Austin and I'm a native English speaker desperately trying to get to a solid C1 in Spanish. I currently speak Spanish to about a B2ish level but I'm starved of interaction with native speakers and I think I'm starting to struggle. I'm also in classes for Portuguese and German but I haven't fell in love with those languages yet like I did with Spanish
2 x

HeyMarlana
Languages: English (N), German (A1), Ukrainian (A1)

Postby HeyMarlana » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:10 am

Hello All! I'm not sure if this forum is still active, but I am new here and look forward to good language discussion with you all. My name is Marlana and I'm a native-English speaker, actively learning Ukrainian. I have also learned German and French in the past, but have not kept those two languages up. I enjoy sharing language-learning experiences and reading about your own! Thanks for having me, and I look forward to getting acquainted with those who are active here!
4 x
Remember.. do something nice for yourself today!

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:12 am

HeyMarlana wrote:Hello All! I'm not sure if this forum is still active, but I am new here and look forward to good language discussion with you all. My name is Marlana and I'm a native-English speaker, actively learning Ukrainian. I have also learned German and French in the past, but have not kept those two languages up. I enjoy sharing language-learning experiences and reading about your own! Thanks for having me, and I look forward to getting acquainted with those who are active here!

Oh yes, we're active !
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

ironjaw
Languages: Danish (N), German (beginner), Norwegian (ALTA 9)

Postby ironjaw » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:29 pm

Hi I'm new here. Native in Danish and living in the UK. I actually wrote a passionate piece about how I found this forum, that it's a treasure trove of knowledge; that I've been reading several interesting threads here for days; that I've started learning German on Duolingo with my niece, und so welter, but it all disappeared as I was logged off the forum. So hello!
11 x

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:51 pm

ironjaw wrote:but it all disappeared as I was logged off the forum.
Eh, yeah, that happens. I've learned to use the "Save draft" button below the posting box often, and suggest doing the same for all long, passionate posts!
5 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

Uruguayan
Languages: I speak spannish, I am learning english.

Re: How to learn English 50-70 words

Postby Uruguayan » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:41 am

My name's Per. I am from Uruguay, new here, I don't speak english very well. Just looking the forum and reading some tips.

Cualquier cosa puedo ayudar con español pero sé casi nada de inglés.

Saludos!
6 x

gusmagal
Languages: Portuguese (N), English (beginner)

Postby gusmagal » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:59 am

Hi, I'm studying English again, after several years without practice, to be able to write with some confidence. I'm from Brazil, and I write for a living, so I also hope to be able to help people here who are studying Portuguese
5 x

Carl
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C2), Norwegian (C1), Danish (reading only), Spanish (B2), German (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=16220

Postby Carl » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:59 pm

I lived five years each in Sweden and Norway and worked three months in the German-speaking part of Switzerland. Plus five months in Japan, as a teenager. I've picked up a bunch of the local language in each place, and tools like those discussed on this site give me hope that I can achieve at least B2 fluency in Spanish, despite barely having visited any Spanish-speaking countries. I keep some nodding reading and listening acquaintance with German, so it will be not entirely atrophied when I decide to focus on it again.

I've been mildly irritated for decades that I can't understand spoken Danish, even though I have no problem reading the language, so I've started a listening-reading experiment with the goal of being able to understand Danish TV, radio, and reasonably clear and Copenhagen-ish conversations. I have described and will chronicle the experiment on my language log, which, if I have successfully updated my profile, has a link off to the left here. In case the update hasn't taken hold yet, the log is at https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=16220
5 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”