Mostly German and some Japanese log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Re: Mostly German and some Japanese log

Postby golyplot » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:48 am

I think you're doing better than I did. I found it very difficult to keep track of who was who, especially in the 50s.
1 x

tacerto1018
Yellow Belt
Languages: MA - French
Currently studying - Icelandic
Studied in the past to different levels - Portuguese, Norwegian, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Japanese, Dutch, German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=15400

Postby tacerto1018 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:18 am

I am no longer going to post a picture of my Google Sheets because it is just getting too long. But, this week I had the most exposure to the language than any of the previous weeks. I was able to get 5.25 hours in. This week I was able to finagle my Fire Stick to get the French channels and with it came Arte, the Franco-German collaboration channel. Each program has a French and German version. This has given me the ability to switch between each of the languages when I want (obviously understanding more the French than the German). Along with Dark and the ARD app I have been exposing myself to a lot of native material and finding that I am understanding more and more.
I am thinking about starting a formal course, or continuing with Assimil this week because I want to iron out some of the 1. grammar points that I am unsure of and 2. some connecting words and prepositions in context.

Smooth sailing though
0 x

tacerto1018
Yellow Belt
Studied in the past to different levels - Portuguese, Norwegian, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Japanese, Dutch, German

Postby tacerto1018 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:19 am

golyplot wrote:I think you're doing better than I did. I found it very difficult to keep track of who was who, especially in the 50s.

I'm definitely taking my time with it. I just got into the 2nd season and they've added even more timelines.
0 x

tacerto1018
Yellow Belt

Postby tacerto1018 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:14 am

3.25 hours this week, nothing too serious but nothing too shabby considering the time I can dedicate to it. This week I looked into the DLI courses and am thinking about pursuing them. However, due to my limited time that I can dedicate to learning, I may save them for another language and keep going with Assimil and Pimsleur (two resources that I admittedly have not paid attention to in some weeks).

The past few weeks my main source of German has been through 1. native materials such as DW jetzt or podcasts 2. Dark on Netflix with the Language Learning with Netflix extension. This extension is one of my favorite things and has given me so many hours to exposure that I would have had trouble getting before.

I am also thinking about taking up some reading and grammar. Reading because it's fun, and grammar because I want to get some of the more formal grammatical points down, and because it's something I enjoy. I just need to find the energy to dedicate to some more engaged learning, not just passive. But I carry on
1 x

tacerto1018
Yellow Belt

Postby tacerto1018 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:51 pm

What a crazy month last month was. I didn't post here at all but I did continue with my studies. German has become a project that has opened a ton about language learning for me. Before I started studying German, all of my previous languages besides French have been done in a type of crescendo. In the beginning, I start with a course or courses, mainly Assimil or Pimsleur. I rely on these sources for the first few months of my student almost exclusively. I branch out some, and since having read the advice of the multi-track approach by IguanaMon, I try to ween myself off of courses and into new native materials.

This is no how I have gone about German. Despite the little time I have in my spare time, I try to fill it with German stuff, something that for me has been huge. I feel myself coming to these courses only once or twice a week for some structured learning but I have found so much value and have made lots of progress working with almost exclusively native materials. Also, just as an aside, the sentence structure of the German language is dizzying! Sometimes it's hard for me to gather what their saying because of the word order. But it find it quite fascinating.

Also, don't tell anyone, but I bought Colloquial Swahili this week, 8-)
2 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:14 pm

tacerto1018 wrote:Also, just as an aside, the sentence structure of the German language is dizzying! Sometimes it's hard for me to gather what their saying because of the word order. But it find it quite fascinating.

This seems like an odd complaint from someone who's previously studied Japanese. Compared to Japanese, English and German are practically the same language.

English: This is the air conditioner I bought at the department store last week
German: This is the air conditioner that I last week at the department store bought have
Japanese: This last week department store at bought air conditioner is
3 x

Return to “Language logs”