Lingua's Log: IT, DE, PT, FR (+ dabbling in LAT, SCN, PMS, etc)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Re: Lingua's 2020 Italian, German, Portuguese Log (+ dabbling in Latin, Sicilian & dialects)

Postby lingua » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:10 pm

German:
Clozemaster: New: 50 & Reviewed: 254 (multiple choice)
MHz Choice: Kommíssarín Lucas S1E8-10 (195 mins)
PMP: German Verb Tenses: 12.6--12.11

I continued with unit 12 of PMP which covers the past tense. This unit is longer than most so I have a ways to go. As mentioned before the concept itself is easy enough but trying to remember all the irregularities is not. The one thing I didn't quite understand was what makes a verb weak or strong. There wasn't a clear explanation. Unfortunately, the Assimil book still hasn't arrived.

I watched two episodes of Kommíssarín Lucas and part of episode 8. The problem with this episode was that Lucas was taken as a hostage and it was too unbelievable for my taste. This show series is from the early 2000s and Lucas is a strong woman but they still treat her character in some sexist ways that ends up annoying me. I liked this series at first but the last few episodes are getting to be a bit much. Also there has been an uptick in violence which I have no tolerance for. I like the process of catching the criminal and have no interest in experiencing the crime itself. This concludes season 1 and if season 2 continues on in this way I'll move on to something else.

Portuguese:
Clozemaster: New 140 & Reviewed 212 (text input)
PTLab: Beginner Short Stories
rtp.pt: Madeira Tem Sabor ep1
rtp.pt: Podcast: Café das 3 (58 mins)
Wrote: 60 words

I listened to two Beginner Short Stories on PT Lab: A primeira conversa -- a Maria & A primeira conversa -- o Carlos. In both cases it was a short description of where they lived, what languages they spoke what they were studying or where they were working etc. After that there were a series of questions that I had to answer. I focused on pronunciation since that is still a weak spot. I also used this as a basis to write a few words about myself using the same information. It was pretty short though.

I found a bunch of podcasts and video shows under gastronmia on https://www.rtp.pt/play/programas/gastronomia/canal. I have listened to several episodes of the podcast Café das 3 where a host interviews Chef Vítor Sobral. I find the host somewhat easy to understand but the Chef less so. But I feel like I'm getting the rhythm of the language. Madeira Tem Sabor is a newer series about the island of Madeira. The first episode was on bananas. I honestly understood very little but could make out some words and got the gist just from the video side. It was still interesting to see how they cut the bananas, wash them and repackage them until they end up in the market. Also how green they were.

Latin:
Clozemaster: Reviewed: 104 (text input)

Latin gets very little attention. I'm just trying to keep up with Clozemaster and Memrise reviews.

Italian:
Reading: Scrivere bene (o quasi) by Elisabetta Perini <-- 68%
Reading: L'imperfetta meraviglia by Andrea De Carlo <-- 14%
MHz Choice: Imma Tataranni Sostituto Procuratore S1E6 (119 mins)
MHz Choice: Una pallottola nel cuore S3E2 (93 mins)
Italian Easy Reader: Part 1 Ex6-8
Wrote: 345 words

I wrote again this week a little more than last week. I also have two subjects to write on this week from the Easy Reader book. I'm sad that this was the last episode of Imma Tataranni as I enjoyed it. Tataranni is a deputy prosecutor with a photographic memory. She gets involved in the solving of the murder which sometimes gets her into hot water with her boss. It is also a humorous show. Mimi from Montalbano plays a bad guy in this series. There is supposed to be a second season but because of covid it looks like it won't be filmed until next year.

I would have liked to say that I'm getting more done since I gave up news except I didn't completely give it up though I read far less of it than before. It was harder than I thought it would be and I still want to keep up on covid to some degree. I will continue to try to wean myself off of it more in the coming week.

I finished I fratelli Lumière e la straordinaria invenzione del cinema by Luca Novelli. The family was in the photography business and the brothers shot short films in the late 1800s and also worked on some of the first techniques for color film. This book followed the biography and mini-dictionary that most of them did but then followed up with some assignments for kids to make their own movie.

fratellilumiere.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

lingua
Blue Belt

Re: Lingua's 2020 Italian, German, Portuguese Log (+ dabbling in Latin, Sicilian & dialects)

Postby lingua » Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:54 pm

I've completed Scrivere bene (o quasi) by Elisabetta Perini. In spite of the subject matter I thoroughly enjoyed this book. There are seven primary sections and they cover the following:

Punctuation: usage of the period, comma, colon, semicolon, parenthesis, font (bold, underline, italic), lists and structure (paragraphs, headings, etc). This isn't really a whole lot different than in English.

Latin words & foreign words: usage of latin and foreign words clarifying endings for plurals and such. The author is clearly biased against the use of what she referred to as itangliano and advises that one always use the Italian when it exists.

Right or wrong: problem words (or spelling) and regional differences (for example for watermelon: cocomero or anguria), etc.

Common expressions: politically correct language, usage of ecco (here), order of personal pronouns, words that get confused (because of their similarity), etc

"Rebellious" verbs (irregularities): problematic irregular verbs, verbs with two choices (devo, debbo for example), etc

How to write: conventions, abbreviations, usage of capital letters, numbers, etc

Pinch of style: this covered style in the sense of your audience: formal vs informal, burocratese, etc.

This was an easy read for what is a somewhat dry subject. The author interjects little blocks of "did you know" to cover some interesting point about a word. Or "a little etymology" which explained the probable reason for an irregular verb which made it more interesting for me. This will serve as a useful reference in the future when I eventually do more writing. I recommend this book to someone who is at least an intermediate level of Italian.

scriverebeneoquasi.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:55 am

I took the last week off from languages outside of some Italian reading so most of this is from the prior week. My concentration continues to be a problem though I had a relaxing weekend and today I feel motivated again.

German:
Memrise/Clozemaster
MHz Choice: Kommíssarín Lucas S2E1-4 (348 mins)
PMP: German Verb Tenses: 12.12-12.18

I finally completed the very long unit 12 of PMP which covers the past tense though I skipped 12.19 because it was rewriting a long paragraph into the past tense. My Assimil book is still on back order. I finally called them and they said they were having problems with getting shipments from France. Supposedly it was to arrive by now but it hasn't. It's been two months since I ordered it so I'll give them a few more weeks and if it doesn't arrive I'll request a refund. The second season of Kommíssarín Lucas is back to more normal episodes and so far they've avoided the ridiculous plots.

Portuguese:
Memrise/Clozemaster
PTLab: Beginner Short Stories
rtp.pt: Madeira Tem Sabor E2

I listened to another Beginner Short Stories on PT Lab: Casa da praia (beach house). Also watched another episode of Madeira Tem Sabor which was about making rum. I was able to pick up a few words here and there.

Latin:
Memrise/Clozemaster

French:
MHz Choice: Le sang de la vigne S3E1-4 (360 mins)

Italian:
Reading: Tutta questione di chimica by Giuseppe Alonci <-- 24%
Reading: Due di due by Andrea De Carlo <-- 11%
MHz Choice: Montalbano: Salvo amato, Livia mia S1E35 (120 mins)
MHz Choice: Una pallottola nel cuore S3E3-5 (295 mins)
Podcast: Di Wine Taste (196 mins)
Italian Easy Reader: Part 1 Ex9-11

I finished L'imperfetta meraviglia by Andrea De Carlo. It takes place over four days. An English rock star meets an artisan gelato maker. He's engaged and she lives with a woman (she's sworn off men) and is supposed to be having a procedure to have a kid. The chapters alternate between the two of them though often his are longer. It's very much a book on reflection regarding life and such. De Carlo has written more than 20 books. Some of the Amazon reviews suggested that his earlier books were better and two reviewers mentioned Due di due so I decided to read it next. So far I preferred the first book. Due di due started out slow though it's starting to grow on me.

imperfetta.jpg
4 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:24 pm

German:
Memrise/Clozemaster
MHz Choice: Kommíssarín Lucas S2E5-6 (172 mins)
MHz Choice: Tatort: Borowski S3E3-4
PMP: German Verb Tenses: 13.1-13.7

I started unit 13 on the perfect past tense and found it relatively easy. Still waiting for my Assimil book unfortunately. If Schoenhof's stock count of -3 is correct it would seem I'm not the only one. I looked at several of their other Assimil offerings and the stock count was always 0 so it's possible they only order from Assimil when they have orders.

Portuguese:
Memrise/Clozemaster
PTLab: Lesson 21
rtp.pt: Telejournal (12 mins)
wrote: 312 words

I decided to restart PTLab lessons. Lesson 21 covered the right thing to do using dever + infinitive. The examples used both the present indicative and imperfect indicative. I ended up writing a lot of sentences using the example sentences as a model. I tried to watch one of the shows on rtp.pt a couple of different times and after a few minutes I encountered buffering problems. I even switched my VPN to Portugual in hopes it would help but it made no difference. I don't know if it's the time I'm trying to watch or if the site is having some problems. I want to return to Madeira Tem Sabor but so far have been unsuccessful. I may have to try to find another site or a different time of day.

Latin:
Memrise/Clozemaster

French:
Clozemaster
MHz Choice: Le sang de la vigne S4E1-3 (279 mins)
MHz Choice: Crime en ... Aveyron S1E1 (90 mins)

I'm sorry to say that I did 20 French sentences (from Italian) in Clozemaster so I may be adding this language against my better judgement. MHz Choice has a lot of French shows and there are a handful that I'd like to watch. But for now I will only do vocabulary building work. Crime en ... is a show that has a different cast and different place in France each episode. A little over dramatic but I didn't mind the plot. I was paying a lot of attention to the words and subtitles and my other Romance languages are a great help. Latin will probably be the one to suffer if I spend more time with French.

Italian:
Reading: Tutta questione di chimica by Giuseppe Alonci <-- 49%
Reading: Due di due by Andrea De Carlo <-- 46%
MHz Choice: Meraviglie: S1E1 (53 mins)
Italian Easy Reader: Part 1 Ex12-18
wrote: 63 words

Meraviglie is a tour on the wonders of Italy. Each episode showcases different areas. In E1 the host Alberto Angela (a journalist) presents the Bourbon Royal Palace of Caserta, Italy's largest monastery in Padula and the ancient caves of Matera. This is an excellent show for Italian beginners because Angela speaks very clearly and slowly. He often pauses for dramatic effect. MHz choice has another series that he also hosts called A Night In ... Florence, St Peters, Pompeii, etc. They would be another good choice for beginners.
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:08 pm

German:
Memrise/Clozemaster
MHz Choice: Kommíssarín Lucas S2E7 (87 mins)
Nico's Weg: 1: Hallo! & Kein Problem

I had somewhat given up on ever getting the Assimil book so I decided to start over with Nico's Weg this past week. So of course Shoenhof's sent me a shipping notice on Saturday. :roll: German with Ease should arrive in the next few days. In spite of that I plan to continue on with Nico's Weg at the same time.

Portuguese:
Memrise/Clozemaster
PTLab: Lesson 22 & Everyday Vocabulary: Roupa (clothing)

Lesson 22 of PT Lab covered identifying what there is using haver/existir and ter. This was an easy to understand concept. I also did one of the Every Day Vocabulary modules which is one of two parts covering clothing.

Latin:
Memrise/Clozemaster

French:
Memrise/Clozemaster
MHz Choice: Crime en ... Martigues & Cevennes S1E4-5 (173mins)

I started Kwiziq but because I've not yet paid for it I will only do a little bit each day or two to take advantage of what is available for free. I never intended to learn French but since it now attracts me I'm going to go with it.

Crime en (Murder in) is an okay series but I will continue to be picky about which ones I watch. I skipped one due to the super natural theme.

Italian:
Reading: Tutta questione di chimica by Giuseppe Alonci <-- 68%
Reading: Giallo su giallo by Gianni Mura <-- 11%
DVD: Pista Nera / Rocco Schiavone (100 mins)

I watched Pista Nera again. Once I get through all of the episodes I have I'll start the newest book. I finished up Due by due (which I'll discuss in a future post) and immediately started Giallo su giallo.

With Memrise & Clozemaster I normally do between 5-10 minutes per language per day excluding Italian.
3 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:15 pm

German:
Memrise/Clozemaster
MHz Choice: Kommíssarín Lucas S2E8-9 (175 mins)
Nico's Weg: 1-2

I've continued on with Nico's Weg. The A1 section is divided into 18 units and each unit has four lessons. Each lesson takes between 8-12 minutes. Currently I'm doing one lesson each day or two. I had tried Nico's Weg earlier in the year and got a little bored with it. But my attitude has changed now to thinking of it as a supplemental resource because each lesson covers a specific grammar point.

The Assimil book has finally arrived via US mail after 13 days. Ridiculously slow. I have a time consuming project to do over the next couple of weeks so it's unlikely I'll start it until early next month since I want to follow the suggested process.

Portuguese:
Memrise/Clozemaster
PTLab: Lesson 23 & Everyday Vocabulary: Roupa (clothing)
rtp.pt: Português - 1.º e 2.º anos

I started Lesson 23 of PT Lab and will complete it later this weekend. I also did the second part of the every day vocabulary that covers clothing. On PT Lab some of the other subscribers were mentioning https://www.rtp.pt/play/estudoemcasa/ for Portuguese students. I watched one show where the teacher was reading a book. It was a book to learn how to count using a fly. It was kind of cute though they could have done a better job of showing the pages so I could more easily read along.

moscafosca.jpg

Latin:
Memrise/Clozemaster

French:
Memrise/Clozemaster
MHz Choice: Crime en ... Lozère S1E6 (91 mins)
Kwiziq: A0 exercises & tests

I ended up paying for a year of Kwiziq so now I've committed myself to this language for better or worse. I like Kwiziq and have no plans to use other sources outside of Memrise and Clozemaster at this time. Famous last words. One of the biggest benefits is the voices are of real people and they will answer questions. I'm doing some of the specific A0 exercises as well as the ones the AI recommends. So after about two weeks this is where I am.

brainmap18sep.jpg

Italian:
Memrise
Reading: Tutta questione di chimica by Giuseppe Alonci <-- 72%
Reading: Giallo su giallo by Gianni Mura <-- 76%
MHz Choice: Meraviglie: S1E2
Easy Reader: 19-20, review (completed Part I)
2 one hour sessions w/italki teacher

I did Memrise for the first time in months with Italian. I wanted to test my long term memory. I seem to have retained at least 95% of the words and phrases. I resumed my sessions with my italki teacher last week and even after a rather long break where I didn't talk at all she said I was doing great. The funny thing is most of my errors were with gender even with words that I know well. I think it may have been some interference with the other languages. I finished Part I of the Easy Reader which I'm happy about because it was getting boring. Part II is on the history of Italy so it should be more interesting.
4 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:10 pm

I have recently completed two books and wanted to make sure I got them down before I completely forget the plots.

Due di due by Andrea De Carlo. This is one of 20 some books written by De Carlo and seems to be regarded as one of his best ones. I'll have to read more books by him before I agree or not. This was a fairly long read and divided into two parts. The first part is a typical coming of age story with Mario the narrator and his friend Guido. In the first part there is no real sense of Mario's personality as he tends to follow Guido's lead. We are supposed to see Guido as a handsome charming young man but I didn't find him to be so. I thought he used Mario and was generally a jerk. Guido is unhappy with the way things are in Milano. He hates the government and they both attend protests. Guido embraces anarchy to a point. After completing high school they go to Greece for a vacation and by the time Mario returns he goes into a depression due to events that occurred there. Instead Guido goes to London and eventually Australia. At the end of part 1 Mario's stepfather dies and leaves him some money with the stipulation that he use it to find his happiness.

In part 2, Mario starts to find himself and you finally get a sense of who he is. He buys land out in the country, refurbishes one of the houses, meets a woman in a bookstore who ends up living with him. Together they work the land and try to become completely self-sufficient. They have twins. Guido returns at one point, leaves and returns again for an extended time, writes a book and leaves a second time. Guido also drinks heavily and seems never to be happy. His book gets published and is quite popular. He's not happy with his success because nobody truly understands his message. Mario is the one living the life that Guido says he wants but can't be bothered to put in the hard work to achieve.

This is supposed to be quasi autobiographical as the author also spends time in London, Australia and the US. I think it's a book worth reading. I like the writing and will continue to read other works by this author.

Duedidue.jpg

Giallo su giallo
by Gianni Mura. Gianni Mura was a sports giornalist for La Repubblica who died earlier this year. Evidently he's mostly known as writing about the Tour de France which he did since 1967. He also was still writing on his old Olivetti and dictating his news stories. He branched out to writing non-fiction.

I didn't much care for this book because at least half of it was devoted to the Tour de France. It's an easy read due to the writing style which is written in a narrating/reporting style, unsurprisingly. There is a a series of deaths (not all murders) that occur on the Tour. In doing some research it looks like the Tour in this book was from 2005. The author has little imagination as he uses the real names of himself, his long time driver and his wife. I had to verify it was indeed fiction at one point. Mura is a person who enjoys good food and wine so there is quite a bit of that in the book. I assume that Mura picked up some French over the years because it's pops up frequently in the book.

It was not a complicated mystery and in fact I guessed who did it early on which is not the norm for me. Still I liked the writing enough that I bought two more books by the author. One is on food and the other another murder mystery using the same primary detective in this book. Unless you have a grand love of the Tour de France I wouldn't recommend it as that part was pretty boring. He doesn't use real names in the Tour but he speaks often of Sheldon. Eventually I was able to determine that Sheldon was supposed to be Lance Armstrong. This isn't a sport I follow so I recognized no other riders.

giallosugiallo.jpg
5 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Re: Lingua's 2020 IT, DE, PT, FR (+ dabbling in LAT, SCN & various dialects)

Postby lingua » Mon Oct 05, 2020 8:28 pm

The last couple of weeks have not been very productive but I've completed my most recent project and am planning to work part time for the rest of the year so I should have more time to devote to languages.

French:
Memrise/Clozemaster
MHz Choice: Crime en ... The Somme, Collioure, Aigues-Moretes S1E7-9 (277 mins)

I've completed Season 1 of Crime en ... and there are still four more seasons available. I continue to do the recommended A0 lessons and am slowly seeing more green on the Kwiziq brainmap. Just like with Portuguese the pronunciation is the hardest part for me. At this point I feel like I understand more French when listening because many words are similar enough to Italian but then the spelling trips me up.

German:
Memrise/Clozemaster
MHz Choice: Kommíssarín Lucas S2E10 (88 mins)
YouTube: Pluspunkt Deutsch A1 Ganzer Film E1 (36 mins)
Nico's Weg: 2

I've completed the second season of Kommíssarín Lucas and I belive there are more episodes but MHz Choice doesn't have them. I've also competed the rest of the second unit of Nicos Weg. garyb mentioned Pluspunkt Deutsch A1 Ganzer Film in his log so I watched it yesterday. I would say my comprehension was only at about 50%. There were quite a few unknown words so I copied the transcript that came with it and will take the time to look up some of the words and watch it again. There are four films one each at level A1, A2, B1 & B2. At times I felt it was too slow but still tolerable.

Italian:
Memrise
Reading: Cibo per la Tiroide by Simone Grazioli Schagerl <-- 17%
Reading: Di noi tre by Andrea De Carlo <-- 6%
Reading: A pranzo con gli amici by Giunti (publisher) <-- 12%
MHz Choice: Meraviglie: S1E3-4 (94 mins)
YouTube: cuoredicioccolato.it (48 mins)
Easy Reader: Part 2 Unit 1-2
1 one hour sessions w/italki teacher

I've finished Tutta questione di chimica by Giuseppe Alonci and Non c'è gusto by Gianni Mura which I'll review in another post. I've started three new books but after reading the introductory section of A pranzo con gli amici I decided it was a good candidate for recording instead. The first two units of Part 2 of the easy reader covered La nascita di Roma and Giulio Cesare. Much more interesting topics . I also rediscovered cuoredicioccolato.it and watched three episodes: mozzarella fatta in casa, street food siciliano and arancine siciliane fatte in casa. It seems the host went to Sicilia on vacation this summer because I saw a lot of people with masks. I find the host charming and they are good videos for beginners because they are pretty short. Some are less than 10 minutes but I haven't watched any of those yet since they won't count for the SC. He also has English versions though I've never watched them so I don't know how well they would match up.

Latin
Memrise/Clozemaster

Piedmontese/piemontèis:
Clozemaster

I've recently restarted reviewing clozemaster piemontèis and am remembering it pretty well.

Portuguese:
Memrise/Clozemaster
PTLab: Lesson 23
YouTube: Canal Maximizar: MUDANÇA para PORTUGAL: 5 DIFICULDADES e COMO lidar com elas (19 mins)

I completed Lesson 23 of PT Lab which covered moving using a, para & de. Also watched a YouTube video that I thought was of Iberian Portuguese but if I understood correctly they were Brazilians living in Portugal. The video talked about five problems of which I've mostly since forgotten but one was how to get a job.
4 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:27 pm

I completed these two books earlier in the month.

Tutta questione di chimica: Sette brevi lezioni sul mondo che ci circonda by Giuseppe Alonci. This was divided into seven lessons (chapters) each on a different subject: kitchen, supermarket, auto/car, mirror/beauty, park/outdoors, pharmacy and doctor/medical. I was fooled by the photo and thought this would be a fun little book of experiments. Not even close. It took me two months to read so I've forgotten a lot of it. But in general, the book covered not only the elements in food items or products but for example in the chapter regarding the auto it talked a lot about different fuels to run a car and the pluses and minuses. The medical section focused primarily on tumors and their treatment.

The author several times stated that some chapters are not easy to understand so I didn't feel so bad. But realistically, this was over my head in Italian. While it would have been easier in English I think given my completely non-science background it would have still been difficult. The kitchen chapter was more about the structure of food and it was the easiest since a lot of what was covered I had read in various nutrition books in the past.

After reading most of the Luca Novelli books I wanted to try something at a more advanced level but this wasn't the best choice so I'll be looking for something a little easier. I may reread this in the future.

chimica.jpg

Non c'è gusto: Tutto quello che dovresti sapere prima di scegliere un ristorante by Gianni Mura. This is the second book I've read by this author. He was a journalist that covered the Tour de France for years as well as other races so he was on the road a lot and he enjoyed good meals. The book however felt a bit unorganized. The author was mostly reminiscing about various meals he'd eaten over the years. He had pointers on what made a restaurant appealing or unappealing to him. I think he just wanted to write about food. :lol:

There was a spattering of French in the book too. I even understood some of it. It was a quick and easy read but probably not of interest to many people.

gusto.jpg
3 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

lingua
Blue Belt

Postby lingua » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:30 pm

I've been trying to keep to a loose schedule to manage all these languages. Mon-Wed-Fri I focus on Italian and French. Tue-Thu-Sat I focus on Portuguese and German. Sun is reserved for Latin, Sicilian, etc. However, I still read Italian every day and will continue to do a German Assimil lesson everyday. So far those don't take long but I assume they will get longer. I spend more time on Portuguese than French (outside of film) because I want to stay at least one CEFR level ahead of it so I don't get them too mixed up. I see a fair number of similarities in a different way than I see them with Italian.

French:
Memrise/Clozemaster
MHz Choice: Crime en ... Avignon S2E1 (86 mins)
MHz Choice: Engrenages S1E-12 (97 mins)

According to Kwiziq I'm 66.97% through A0. At this rate I should be getting into the A1 section by the end of the month. I still like Kwiziq and find using this as my primary source a different kind of learning. In some ways it feels more natural because of the focus on my problem areas rather than just following a sequence of concepts. French is an unexpected whim so I'm in no hurry to progress quickly.

German:
Memrise/Clozemaster
Nico's Weg: 2-3
Assimil German w/Ease: Dialog 1-2

I continue to do a Nico's Weg sub-unit every day or two. I'm only doing the video and exercises and not any grammar explanations since it's stuff I already know. When that changes I'll take the time to read them. I started Assimil on Monday and so far it's pretty easy and doesn't take long. I've not yet formed an opinion on it.

Italian:
Memrise
Reading: Di noi tre by Andrea De Carlo <-- 31%
Reading: A pranzo con gli amici by Giunti (publisher) <-- 12%
Easy Reader: Part 2 Unit 1-3
Il buongustare Unit 1.3
1 one hour session w/italki teacher

The 3rd unit of the Easy Reader was on La pace romana. Sadly, they stopped doing the writing exercises. I realized that I had forgotten about Il Buongustare and did unit 1.3 which was on Artusi. Both of these books have exercises for comprehension which I'm doing. The easy reader exercises are relatively easy and I rarely answer incorrectly. Il Buongustare is sometimes more challenging but I can see that they're trying to get you to see different ways of expressing the same concept. I'm continuing to review my self made Memrise courses one by one.

I finished Cibo per la Tiroide by Simone Grazioli Schagerl. This was a small publisher and I thought it might be self-pubished but instead it turns out the publisher has been around since 1987 and focuses on health and well being books. This book covered many aspects of the thyroid including the skyrocketing rates of hypothyroidism, reasons why, what foods help the health of the thyroid, etc. It was OK. I'm continuing to branch out into more specific areas within the broad area of health.

cibo.jpg

Latin
Memrise/Clozemaster

Piedmontese:
Clozemaster

Portuguese:
Memrise/Clozemaster
PTLab: Lesson 24-27

I've completed four PT Lab lessons. Lesson 23 covered the imperative (giving orders and directions). Lesson 25 covered just finished doing something using the verb acabar + de + infinitive. Lesson 26 covered being able to do something (poder + infinitive). Lesson 27 covered placing objects in space using placement prepositions (next to, above, under, etc). These are all easy concepts though I can't say that I remember every single preposition for the last lesson.

So each lesson consists of Listen and Speak, Grammar, Read and Write plus Extra Audio Exercises. I have been skipping the Listen and Speak because it's a serial mystery story and I don't enjoy it. I ended up reading ahead through Lesson 41 to see how it all turned out and that was good enough for me. I want to get through all of the grammar and listen to more compelling sources.

Sicilian:
Memrise

Started reviewing words again and am remembering about 90% of them.
4 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:

Output Challenge 2023:

Return to “Language logs”