From Weeklong Learner to Lifelong Learner (2020-2021)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Raconteur
Green Belt
Languages: ­✄ ✄ ✄
Fʟᴜᴇɴᴛ(ish): Polski, English
Lᴇᴀʀɴɪɴɢ: Français, Italiano
Pᴀᴜsᴇᴅ: Türkçe

Re: From Weeklong Learner to Lifelong Learner

Postby Raconteur » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:50 pm

TUESDAY, 18 AUGUST 2020
Once again a late start. My plan to learn languages first thing in the morning is (so far) not happening. Still, I did my SRS as well as some new PN material (+ reviewed yesterday’s tracks). I also watched some more Muzzy. (Total ≈1h)

–Può indicarmi sulla mappa?
–No, non posso.
–Perché non può indicarmi sulla mappa?

–Can you show me on the map?
–No, I cannot
–Why can’t you show me on the map?

Dobbiamo pagare adesso.
We must pay now.
1 x

Raconteur
Green Belt

Postby Raconteur » Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:33 pm

WEDNESDAY, 19 AUGUST 2020
Typical pattern for me: SRS, Paul Noble (PN), Colloquial (C), and some Muzzy. Apologies to anyone actually following along if at times these reports get too mundane to bear. (Total ≈1h+)

I’m continuing to push forward with Colloquial, totally unconvinced. I can’t really put my finger on why this course isn’t doing it for me. The dialogues are professionally recorded, the grammar points are clear and well presented, the pace is just about right for me. Even the layout design (something I admit to caring far too much about) is good. So what’s the problem? Why am I feeling so much resistance when sitting down with this book? A mystery. Solved or not, I may just have to drop Colloquial regardless, and replace it with something my brain enjoys more.

Sua madre ha decorato la torta.
Your mother [has] decorated the cake.

Ho presentato una petizione.
I have presented a petition.
1 x

Raconteur
Green Belt

Postby Raconteur » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:09 pm

THURSDAY, 20 AUGUST 2020
Copy-Paste: SRS, Paul Noble (PN), Colloquial (C), and some Muzzy. (≈50 min)

Lavoro in un liceo e insegno storia e geografia.
I work in a high school and teach history and geography.

Sono sposata. Mio marito si chiama Paolo.
I am married. My husband’s name is Paul.

Amo la musica lirica e quando ho tempo mi piace andare alla Scala.
I love opera and when I have time I like to go to La Scala [Teatro alla Scala].
1 x

Raconteur
Green Belt

Postby Raconteur » Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:36 am

FRIDAY, 21 AUGUST 2020
The usual routine (Total ≈1h). Done with CD7 of PN and nearly done with U2 of C. I promised myself I would stick with the latter at least until the end of U3, but I think I’m just about ready to drop it. Question is what to replace it with… thankfully with a language as popular as Italian, I have more than enough options. Perhaps too many!

Hanno invitato Paul a Roma.
They invited Paul to Rome.

–Hanno mangiato la pizza?
–Sì, l'hanno mangiato.

–Have they eaten the pizza?
–Yes, they ate it.

–Hanno visitato la piazza?
–No, non l'hanno visitato... ma noi l'abbiamo visitato.

–Have they visited the piazza?
–No, they did not visit it… but we have visited it.

lo+ho = l’ho → L'ho mangiato
lo+ha = l’ha → L’hai mangiato
lo+abbiamo = l’abbiamo → L’abbiamo mangiato
lo+hanno = l’hanno → L’hanno mangiato

CLUE: HAVE VERB steals :twisted: “it” and puts it directly in front of itself
I have found it
L’ho trovato.
3 x

Raconteur
Green Belt

Postby Raconteur » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:17 pm

SATURDAY, 22 AUGUST 2020
Today, I’ve spent a peaceful day in a wooden cabin far, far away. First thing before departing, finished Colloquial Unit 2 (good riddance). In the afternoon I went for a walk in the countryside with Paul Noble (started CD 8). In the evening I did SRS and called it a day.

Perché non vogliono capirmi? ...Voglio parlare italiano oggi!
Why don't they want to understand me? ...I want to speak Italian today!

Non vogliamo farlo oggi.
We don't want to do it today.

fare
to do; to make

I could see myself making a lot of progress in this cabin over a short period of time... provided I get a chance to go there alone. :lol:
5 x

Raconteur
Green Belt

Postby Raconteur » Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:54 pm

SUNDAY, 23 AUGUST 2020
Have to admit, I slacked off today. Started with SRS, then reviewed a few tracks of PN. Only a 2-3 minutes of new material. Better than nothing, but not by much.

MONDAY, 24 AUGUST 2020
One month on the books. Nothing much to celebrate, not when considered in such close proximity to the many prolific logs gracing these pages over the years. However, for me this is still a little personal win. Given my past language logging (and learning) performance, the second month will be the defining one. Here the initial shot of motivation begins to fade; the new project is no longer so new and shiny. Traditionally, MONTH 2 is where I have given up on consistent log keeping twice before. On the flip side, if I make it to September 24th, it will prove I have a good thing going here, and that this weeklong learner is finally on his way to becoming a lifelong one.

First, SRS (very few cards to review), then a thorough review of PN tracks from the last few days, followed by scriptorium of sentences gathered in this here log (Jul 24 – Aug 10). Last thing before bed: new PN material from CD8.

– Non capisco. Può ripetere, per favore?
– I don’t understand. Can you repeat, please?

Il mercato è di fronte alla piazza – lì.
– The market is in front of the piazza – there.:arrow:
3 x

Raconteur
Green Belt

Postby Raconteur » Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:29 am

TUESDAY, 25 AUGUST 2020
Got to SRS reps as soon as I sat in front of the computer in the morning. That’s a habit I’m really looking to uphold. I think doing spaced repetition makes most sense when the mind is fresh and well rested. For me this is not right after waking up – I’m quite groggy in the mornings. But, once I sit down in front of the screen with a cup of coffee, it’s best to be done with SRS before life gets in the way. Why not?

In the afternoon PN reviews and 15 min of scriptorium, using sentences from my log. Not much else. Quite busy with packing for the upcoming travels, and getting various things done before leaving.

WEDNESDAY, 26 AUGUST 2020
First day in quite some time without any learning. The combination of travel, work + catching some sort of a cold did me in. I was planning to study before going to bed, but just ended up passing out.

THURSDAY, 27 AUGUST 2020
Spent the morning and early afternoon working from the hotel room, then meeting with a friend for lunch and a walk around old down. Krakow, while not entirely emptied out by the pandemic, feels quiet. It’s not overrun with tourists – the usual summer state of affairs. Still fighting the cold, but seem to be doing a bit better. In the evening I finally got some Italian done: SRS + two new PN tracks, and a quick review. Not much, but better than nothing I suppose. (Total ≈20 min)

Può parlare più lentamente per favore?
Can you speak slower please?

– Di dove?
– Sono di Londra.

– Where are you from?

– I am from London.
2 x

Raconteur
Green Belt

Postby Raconteur » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:42 pm

FRIDAY, 28 AUGUST 2020
SRS and scriptorium from the latest page of the log. In the evening an unconvincing review of (PN) 8.7 & 8.8. Unconvincing as I felt I was too tired to get anything much out of it, but who knows… maybe something stuck.

I keep forgetting the word lentamente (slow; slowly).
“I gave up on being SLOW for LENT.”
Maybe that will work.

SATURDAY, 29 AUGUST 2020
Another day of train travel, with most of the time onboard dedicated to a mundane work project (not fun). However, I got a chance to do SRS reps first thing in the morning, which was a good call. Later reviewed all of my (C) notes from U1 and U2 along with audio. I cut some audio tracks, to avoid listening over all the pointless descriptions in English – there’s a lot of that with Colloquial. Once again I didn’t get to cover any new ground, but I’m glad that I at least showed up.
1 x

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:43 pm

Raconteur wrote:I’m continuing to push forward with Colloquial, totally unconvinced. I can’t really put my finger on why this course isn’t doing it for me. The dialogues are professionally recorded, the grammar points are clear and well presented, the pace is just about right for me. Even the layout design (something I admit to caring far too much about) is good. So what’s the problem? Why am I feeling so much resistance when sitting down with this book? A mystery. Solved or not, I may just have to drop Colloquial regardless, and replace it with something my brain enjoys more.
Oddly, I've found that I feel exactly the same way about Colloquial Irish. I wonder what's going on here. If you continue with it and have insights, I'd be interested to help put my finger on my issue with CI--which I'd like to get through, as they recently released CI book 2.

Raconteur wrote:One month on the books. Nothing much to celebrate, not when considered in such close proximity to the many prolific logs gracing these pages over the years. However, for me this is still a little personal win. Given my past language logging (and learning) performance, the second month will be the defining one. Here the initial shot of motivation begins to fade; the new project is no longer so new and shiny. Traditionally, MONTH 2 is where I have given up on consistent log keeping twice before. On the flip side, if I make it to September 24th, it will prove I have a good thing going here, and that this weeklong learner is finally on his way to becoming a lifelong one.
I myself am impressed with your dedication and progress. Many of us are less regular or prolific studiers or loggers than we'd like to me, so it's inspiring to watch someone take on this challenge so directly.
3 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

Raconteur
Green Belt

Postby Raconteur » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:07 am

THURSDAY, 3 SEPTEMBER 2020
Did not study Sunday – Thursday. First time since I started logging that I missed a few days in a row. This shows me I still have ways to go before I make learning an integral part of my day. Things went well as long as my days were stable/predictable. When a few things got out of sync I stumbled (traveling, longer working hours, visiting family, a cold).

As previously announced I’m shelving Colloquial for now. Instead, in September I’m going to try the old-school Cortina “in 20 Lessons” series. Today late in the evening (in the morning?) I got everything set up, and I hope to resume with my studies tomorrow. The most important thing is to get back up and keep going. That’s what I intend to do.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”