Aloyse's study log (ZH + some ARB, ARQ, KAB, EN, ES, JP)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Aloyse
Orange Belt
Languages: Fr (N), EN (C1),
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=9983

Summerrrr

Postby Aloyse » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:17 pm

USB key:
- Darja: "useful phrases" (1'45")
- Berber: "greetings" (1') (to be updated next week)
- MSA: lesson 6 grammar (4') (still...)
- Chinese: imandarinpod 瘦死的骆驼比马大 (6'15) (new)
- Japanese: Marugoto A1 lesson 5 (7') (review - to be updated next week)
- Japanese: NHK lesson 24 (new)

Multilingual technical reading : 1x this past week.
5' physical exercise: 5x this past week (nice).
Read this morning: two paragraphs of 百科知识 (如何给太阳做“CT”).

To do this week:
- Read from novel in Spanish
- Read articles in "Vocable Espagnol"
- Record new Spanish words and/or example sentences for the USB key
- MSA lesson 6 exercises !!! and then reviewing start lesson 7
- Study new words and characters from imandarinpod
- CNTV audio during evening commute (as well as morning commute)
- More frequent multilingual technical reading

Pondering:
- English pronunciation: how to improve it.
- Technical studies: do exercises to practice and retain better?
2 x
Future me already did it.

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

daily grind

Postby Aloyse » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:48 pm

5' physical exercise: in the morning between breakfast and non-language studies. It wakes me up.
Non-language studies: about 30 to 40 minutes. (not especially multi lingual. I have reviewed my priorities.)

USB key (2x/day):
1'00" Berber (Assimil "de poche" track)
1'45" Darja (Assimil "de poche" track)
1'24" Modern Standard Arabic (5th month on lesson 6. I swear I'll get to lesson 7 soon.)
15' Chinese imandaripod: 琉璃 (female voices)
1'29" English "Be My Guest" (concluded that any audio track is better than nothing)
6'30" Japanese Marugoto A1 lesson 8 (review)
there's an NHK lesson after that but I seldom get to it.

Commuting audio tracks (Chinese): various CCTV10 scientific vulgarization shows (mostly male voices).

New "school year": I'm not feeling all that motivated to attend classes due to the restrictions caused by the pandemic.
Available choices are Japanese, Chinese, possibly Darja or Spanish.
Considering online classes (Chinese? Spanish?)

Old/new rule: no fanfiction in the morning (I re-read "Best Year of Your Life" by Debbie Ford and this was a No-Cookie Zone I had already identified a few years ago, then forgotten about. I'm not in agreement with the implied timeframe of this book, so now I'm privately referring to it as "Live Your Best Life".)
Since I'm still lacking a daily Spanish habit, I might make a new rule "1 chapter of Spanish fanfiction before any English fanfiction". Or something.

Weight loss: not measurable yet.
Eating habits: mostly on the right track.
Sleep: new bed, might need a mattress topper.

Edit: I've made up my mind. No Japanese in-person classes for now. We'll see later on.
3 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

:roll:

Postby Aloyse » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:39 pm

So my morning non-language study routine crashed due to my getting sick (not covid-19, perhaps the flu).
There's nothing to do except start it again. Tomorrow.

I lost 2kg while I was sick. But now my weight is creeping back up. Although not very fast, since my stomach is still upset.

Stuck in a general "what's the point" quagmire :?
Partly due to covid restrictions, partly due to difficulties at work, and partly due to shouting family members.
It's 2020. What about nonviolent communication?

Anyway, I spent most of the day digitizing old notebooks, trying to declutter my physical space.
Digital clutter is easier to hide from myself.
3 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Morning Tea

Postby Aloyse » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:35 pm

Morning routine reboot: I made an effort to get up as soon as my alarm sounds, but failed to use the time productively.
I got interested in "Miracle Morning" and looking for ways to get things done before breakfast. Finally I observed that my first priority/first pleasure/motivation for getting out of bed is hot tea. But usually the tea is too hot at first, so I end up eating first, and then digestion is not conducive to studying or exercising. Perhaps I should temper the tea with cold water, so that I can drink it earlier, and delay eating until later.

USB key:
  • Darja 50" (new track)
  • Berber 50"
  • Arabic 3' (Lesson 7 :mrgreen: )
  • Chinese 15' (imandarinpod: Zhuhai)
  • English 1'40"
  • Japanese 8' (review)

Decluttering: pleased with my progress this week. Still lots of paperwork and old coursework to sort out, digitize and/or shred.
I'm considering getting rid of some of my empty boxes (which I tend to keep "for when I move out"). Perhaps not the computer screen and TV boxes, but at the very least, the keyboard boxes and shredding machine box.

Attended a Chinese culture class through zoom. Didn't find it riveting.
Last edited by Aloyse on Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Re: Morning Tea

Postby cjareck » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:40 pm

Aloyse wrote:Morning routine reboot: I made an effort to get up as soon as my alarm sounds, but failed to use the time productively.

Earlier I used to postpone alarm clock a few times. After some time I realized that doing so, I am wasting time for sleep. Since then I set alarm for the last time possible and always get up immediately :)
3 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Tepid Morning Tea

Postby Aloyse » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:54 pm

cjareck wrote:Since then I set alarm for the last time possible and always get up immediately :)

In theory my alarm is already set to the last possible time that I should get up at in order to fit the activities I want to do in the morning before going to work.
The difficult part is getting myself to actually do those activities instead of wasting time on the internet. And the repetition of failures leads to not getting up as soon as the alarm sounds, since what's the point? I can browse in bed on my phone.

However I have been successful this past week.
I have been applying my new method of preparing my breakfast tray the night before (2 mugs, tea bag, 4 biscuits, a small cup of muesli, a kiwi) and then in the morning getting up, boiling water on autopilot, preparing two mugs of tea (one 3/4 filled) and cooling down one mug by adding cold water after the tea has brewed.
Then I sit at my desk and review my goals while sipping the not-so-hot tea.
Afterwards I load a youtube exercise video (in Chinese) and exercise for 5 to 7 minutes (not necessarily following the video along).
Then I study (not languages) for 20 to 40 minutes, still sipping tea. (On Mondays, study time is shorter due to start-of-the-week logistics).
Finally I eat my breakfast and start my day.

Now, I need an evening routine, and I need to go to bed earlier...
My current ideal list is: 5' of housework-as-physical-activity, 15' of written language study, power down my computer, review my goals, prepare breakfast, get in bed, listen to my USB key (and parrot relevant phrases) while doing some light stretches, and then fall asleep at a decent hour.
(but the only part I've been consistently doing is listening to my USB key - at least the first few tracks).

Language-wise, not much to report. I did a little written work for Arabic lesson 7. Still listening to Chinese media during my commute (about 40 to 60 minutes per day). Sometimes I feel like I understand 60% of what the speakers are saying. Sometimes I struggle to merely get the topic. Globally I don't think I'm learning Chinese doing this. Merely maintaining my level and perhaps gaining a tiny bit of listening skills.

Need to reinstall Skype as it's not working on my computer and I will need it for some Occasional Saturday Chinese activities (the venue is closed for now due to coronavirus).

Working on my diet. I'm 1-2 kg away for my 2020 goal.
2 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

DST

Postby Aloyse » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:59 pm

Good news: perfect compliance with my 4-item morning and evening routines this past week.
Morning: review goals and affirmations, 5' exercise, 20 to 40' non-language study (2 topics).
Evening: prepare breakfast, 5' housework, 15' written language study (mostly Arabic and Chinese dictation), review goals and affirmations.
Drawback 1: I tend to fall asleep at work in the afternoon.
(very minor) Drawback 2: my journal has 23 lines per page. I would need 7x4 = 28 lines for neat and tidy record keeping (morning and evening tasks go into different columns).

Bad news: switching to winter time today, so I'd be surprised if I could sustain these routines in the next few days.

Since I mentioned my journal, let me add that I am now using 3 different highlighter colors, for Sunday, weekdays, and Saturday (I start a new page on Sunday morning). And I ordered a few China themed washi tapes for decoration :mrgreen:

Lastly, I have just updated the English and Japanese tracks on my USB key. I will need to record the Arabic lesson 7 grammar notes this week.
4 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Blithely ignoring the outside world

Postby Aloyse » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:53 pm

Last week was fine, I was able to maintain my routines and wasn't even cranky. And my place is a tiny bit cleaner.
For next week I plan to keep these routines in place and also go back to my previous work from home habits.

So when I would usually bathe, get dressed and then go to work,
I will now do an additional 15' light workout, bathe, and get half-dressed for work (loungewear bottoms instead of jeans) before sitting at my work computer.

(Hopefully I can go to the office twice a week. Maybe.)

My living room might get somewhat uncluttered soon, in the sense that everything will be on shelves instead of in piles on the floor. I was considering a no impact aerobics online class, but had no space to move around. After I make some space I'll only have to battle laziness.

I also got in contact with a Chinese school I used to go to in another city and which is now offering classes through zoom.
One classe per week in the evening. We'll see how that goes.

This weekend might be my first successful "don't be an idiot" (food wise) weekend in about 8 years.
4 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

More than I can chew

Postby Aloyse » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:58 pm

Nearly had 4 online classes this week:
  • Japanese
  • Chinese newspaper reading (missed it as I didn't get the registration information in time)
  • Intermediate Chinese class (part of Occasional Saturday Chinese activities)
  • Chinese Culture (also part of Occasional Saturday Chinese activities)
These last two classes don't require a lot of effort, the content is very very light.
However I'm a bit worried about the Japanese class, since I missed a bunch of in-person classes previously.
And the newspaper reading class is so far above my level that I can only hope to retain 1/10th of the new information.
Fortunately none of these classes have grades or tests or even checked homework, so although I will probably make a fool of myself during class, there's no consequence at all.

I'm also worried about my routines. Since I've been getting up earlier in order to work on my "real life" goals, I've moved my bedtime up a bit as well. The evening classes will severely infringe on my evening routines and even delay my bedtime a little.

Anyway due to a holiday, and the occasional nature of the Saturday activities, I'll only have 1 class next week.

In other news, I recorded the grammar notes of Arabic lesson 7, and I'm also ready to update my USB key with a new Chinese track. Pondering whether I should keep doing imandarinpod, or maybe use the audio from the documentaries we're supposed to watch to prepare for the newspaper reading class.
3 x

Aloyse
Orange Belt
ES (B1?), ZH (B1),
JP (A1), ARB (A1?),
ARQ (A0), KAB (A0)

Languages = leisure. Little old ladies = knee pain.

Postby Aloyse » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:23 pm

Japanese class was ok, apparently what I missed I can learn by myself at my pace.
The teacher asked the class whether they wanted to go a little faster, they didn't, fine by me...

I'm not in a hurry to master languages anymore. I think Chinese broke my naive enthusiasm.
Or maybe I finally realised that my personality is utterly unsuitable for any kind of language-related job.

Some issues with my routines, due to overtime, and due to less motivation on the weekends.

Weight teetering on the "target + 1kg" edge. Already planning to shed 5 more kgs in 2021, and thus reach "normal" weight.

I followed along a 休閒養生運動 video this past week (led my a healthy young man), and it went great.
Today I had a little old Taiwanese ladies exercise video in my suggestions, so I followed the little old ladies along. Bam! knee pain.
5 x

Return to “Language logs”