Green Belt
Languages: Cantonese (N)
Chinese Mandarin (Semi-Native)
English (C1-2)
Spanish (B2)
Japanese (N1)
Russian (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16306

Re: You know you're a language nerd when…

Postby kelvin921019 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:31 pm

Get very irritated whenever someone says "Well, you should always join class because no one can learn [insert language name] on his own"
4 x

Beli Tsar
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Ancient Greek (intermediate reading), Latin (Beginner) Farsi (Beginner), Biblical Hebrew (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9548

Postby Beli Tsar » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:53 pm

kelvin921019 wrote:Get very irritated whenever someone says "Well, you should always join class because no one can learn [insert language name] on his own"

When this is 30% of your motivation for
learning the language you are currently learning.
Actually, does this make me a language nerd, or just petty?
4 x
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin Reading
: 0 / 50 1/2 Super Challenge - Latin 'Films'

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:30 pm

Beli Tsar wrote:
kelvin921019 wrote:Get very irritated whenever someone says "Well, you should always join class because no one can learn [insert language name] on his own"

When this is 30% of your motivation for
learning the language you are currently learning.
Actually, does this make me a language nerd, or just petty?

Nah. It makes you human, in the good sense. Proving people wrong is very sweet. I've done it a few times myself. Not as many times as I would have liked (even though in most cases, it was rather the issue of both them and me being wrong, rather then them being right).
3 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:43 pm

When one of the highlights of your week is the little feeling of relief when you realise that the day's Assimil lesson is a revision one.
5 x

jimmy
Green Belt
Languages: ...

Postby jimmy » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:20 pm

I do not be irritated or do not get anger :) that is why I think I am contemporary educationalist.
but this might depend on some skills also.
I am sure about these, too

I explored how to read at the commencement point of primary school by myself(it was not by my teacher really )
then I had been 1st one among all of the school students :)
I was not good sufficiently at high school, causing by some really serious problems but I still was able to learn or progress by myself.
(beside,I had taken the best points from physics + mathematics lesson at high school (12nd grade) , but I think these were independent from my class ..it was more depending on me. :) )

in mathematics (faculty),I am almost sure at some points:
1) if you are not at least normal person who could progress by himself/herself , you would not succeed. and I did it.
2) I was able to achieve many exams without attending any of relevant lessons, pahaha :) :) (I am really serious)
3) language learning? oh ..that is really another entertaining hobby,sure!
0 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic

jimmy
Green Belt
Languages: ...

Postby jimmy » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:35 pm

RESULT:

this idea given in the quote is for classic learners & educationals , not for contemporary learners and educationals.
0 x
Self Taught - Autodidactic

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:52 pm

When the hardest part of Biblical Hebrew for you isn't the grammar or the writing, it's ignoring the voice in your head saying, "it's cool to be able to read ancient texts. The Bible is pretty old, but if you switched to Sumerian you could read the original Gilgamesh stories in cuneiform..."
7 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

theofficelike
Languages: english

Postby theofficelike » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:42 pm

when you think in the language you are trying to learn or dream with that language !!!
or when you are obsessed with watching sitcoms or series in that language ! for example im so obsessed with the series " the office" that i literally can find my way around the office location :DDDD
0 x
the office trivia :ugeek:
most fans fail to get score above 70%

Bilingual_monoglot
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (n) Tamil (n-heritage) French Esperanto (can talk about language policy/lepak, and nothing else) Hindi (bumbling tourist) Malay (basic conversations) Chinese (introductions and ordering food)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16715

Postby Bilingual_monoglot » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:46 am

We had elections last week (campaigns are quite multilingual here), so I have a bunch of election related stuff if you don't mind something a little political.

When you get really exited to see one of the new MPs speaking Japanese even though you don't speak it, and it's utterly pointless in your country.
When you were trying to follow the drama around the candidate whose Chinese is 'bad', even though his Chinese is much better than yours.
When you use that as an excuse to start on your rants about everything wrong with language education in your country
When you get excited again after you find out that the above guy got distinction in his oral and agrees with you re: the state of education
When you then proceed to get salty about the fact that he got better marks for his language subject than you.
When you also feel salty that the party you support did not put up any campaign materials in Tamil
When you pumped your fist in the air upon seeing the first constituency broadcast in Tamil
2 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:11 am

...when a coworker at the library asks:
-"Why the h*ll do we have this book in Esperanto?"
-"I don't know when/why purchased it, but I happen to speak it". (Then I read from the back cover, aloud.)
Another coworker joins:
-"I once studied it! If I had maintained it, we could have used it as our secret language!"
10 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Return to “General Language Discussion”