What is truly Scandinavian? (commercial by SAS)

This is a room for the discussion of travel plans or experiences and the culture of places you have visited or plan to visit.
tungemål
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N)
English, German, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17672

What is truly Scandinavian? (commercial by SAS)

Postby tungemål » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:11 pm

What is truly Scandinavian? This commercial by SAS proved to be controversial and was in the news today. Subtitles in English, Norwegian, Danish, and Swedish.
https://youtu.be/ShfsBPrNcTI
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: What is truly Scandinavian? (commercial by SAS)

Postby Iversen » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:04 am

I doubt that SAS/Scandinavian will get one single passenger more because of this piece of junk - but incompetent advertising professionals are not a Scandinavian speciality, they are found everywhere on the planet.
0 x

lichtrausch
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean

Postby lichtrausch » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:01 pm

Another entry from the "let's condescend to our target market" school of marketing, which also includes crowd favorites like Gillette's The Best Men Can Be.
0 x

Mista
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English (QN). Studied Ancient Greek (MA), Linguistics (MA), Latin (BA), German (BA). Italian at A2/B1 level. Learning: French, Japanese, Russian (focus) and various others, like Polish, Spanish, Vietnamese, and anything that comes my way. Also know some Sanskrit (but not the script) and Coptic. Really want to learn Arabic and Amharic.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7497

Postby Mista » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:55 pm

Yes, and I believe I heard on TV yesterday that 70% of those who find this offensive are "normal people". Why are they offended? I suppose the reasons must be unsuitable for TV. Either that, or nobody is quite sure ...
0 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:08 pm

I found it a really odd commercial, and I'll confess to not being sure why. I did not find it offensive, but it certainly does not motivate me to book a seat on the airline involved, nor provide any additional motivation for me to visit the countries served by this airline, beyond the normal motivation I already have. (ETA: okay, on a second viewing, some of the shots of places and people were of interest and travel-motivation, but that aspect for me gets obscured by the "nothing new or original to see here" theme.)

I prefer the approach to advertising taken by Icelandair in some of its advertising, such as the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwLoOfloiOE

Who says the Vikings are gone? Turns out they have just moved on to engage in soccer (or "football" if you must) instead of rampaging and sacking villages.
0 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

fresh_air
Yellow Belt
Languages: English*, Portuguese

Learning: Russian

Postby fresh_air » Thu May 28, 2020 7:34 pm

Ridiculous. After living for a bit in Norway I can think of plenty of uniquely Scandinavian things. Most of them are a feeling of strange nostalgia I get inside, a sense of adventure, a warm comfort after a tiring day, or going out on an excessive 70 mile spring skiing trip and drinking yourself blind on moonshine with your friends after eating a bunch of kvikklunsj and burbot spit-roasted over a fire, that's a real Scandinavian day.
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Thu May 28, 2020 8:15 pm

Ads like this are not a good thing. The same ideas ("let's travel more and bring home stuff and ideas to incorporate in our culture. and pay SAS while doing so") could have been presented better and in a less forced manner. This sort of discourse actually achieves the opposite. Instead of giving people the nice emotion of being connected to the rest of the world (to expand on its ideas and send others out again), it is condescending and likely to make some people feel bitter and insecure and threatened.

And except for a few words, there is nothing too related to language learning there.
0 x

Return to “Travel and Culture”