General discussion about learning languages
Cezary
Languages: Polish - native
English - advanced
German - advanced
Spanish, French, Latin - beginner

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby Cezary » Thu May 07, 2020 6:28 am

gilsjhonny wrote:Hello there! I'm Jhonny! I was born in Venezuela but I'm currently living in Buenos Aires, Argentina, therefore my mother tongue is Spanish. I also can speak English decent enough even though I never took English classes before but I was quite immersed in the language so it came natural to me.

I have a basic grasp of French but I had to abandon it at the lesson 60 of Assimil (due to lack of time) and I started learning Finnish two months ago with Assimil and Suomen Mestari books since I'm planning to move there in a year or so.

Can't wait to share with you all! ❤️

Hello Jhonny, nice to meet you. How's the coronavirus epidemic in Argentina? You know, I need to ask that - that's been the hottest topic lately :) Why did you learn French and on what level did you finish?
Finnish is a very difficult language - so respect. One on my relatives comes from Finland. I also know some phrases : hyvää päivää! mitä kuuluu? :)

Best wishes from Poland,
Cezary
1 x

harilang
Languages: Tamil (N), French (B1), Japanese (N4), German (B1)

Postby harilang » Thu May 07, 2020 7:08 pm

Hello,

I'm Hari based in India. I graduated in European languages and have been working in the foreign languages field for a number of years. Lived in four different countries as well. I studied and interested in French, German, Japanese, Chinese languages.

I am here to share my knowledge and learn from everyone.

Regards,
Hari
4 x
I LOVE YOU in 300+ different languages (DM to get your language added)

Tomas
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (low intermediate), Italian (lower intermediate) French (terrible!)

Postby Tomas » Tue May 12, 2020 7:44 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm Tomás. I used to post to the old HTLAL forum from time to time. I learned a lot from reading the content there and I've finally made my way here now. I took two years of French in college, but never became very proficient with that language. Fortunately, I've had much better success teaching myself Spanish using Assimil and graphic novels. I've also dabbled with Italian using the same methods, but I still have a long way to go with both languages.

I love Greece and dream of studying Greek at some point, but I have to admit, I find it intimidating to try to learn a language with a new alphabet and such different grammar from the romance languages I'm already studying. Knowing how much effort it takes to learn even one language to an intermediate level, I'm amazed at the accomplishments of some of the polyglots on this forum and it's an honor to be here!
5 x

Arturo
White Belt
Languages: English(N)

Spanish(Intermediate)

Postby Arturo » Tue May 12, 2020 9:52 pm

Hello, I'm Arturo. I've been studying Spanish for about three years. I originally came here after googling how to get into the advanced stages of a language and stumbled across this place. After browsing through some threads I told myself I wanted to join the community here since I liked how close-knit the community seems to be and how dedicated people are to improving and helping others improve.
5 x

merlin
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Hindi (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=14467

Postby merlin » Fri May 15, 2020 10:57 pm

Hello! I'm Merlin. Like everyone else I was inspired to join by the wonderful community of dedicated and helpful learners here. I am a recently married English-speaking californian whose only background in languages is 4 years of typical american highschool spanish, of which i remember very little (donde esta el bano?). However my husband's family is equally fluent in English, Hindi, and their regional language (Kannada) so my goal is to learn Hindi first, at least to B1, then work to at least understand Kannada. I am trying to focus on just one language at a time, which is made much easier given there are almost no resources for Kannada at all anyway :lol: Thanks for having me around :D
4 x

vegantraveller
Yellow Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (C2), French (C2), German (B2-C1), Japanese (B2), Spanish (B2-B1), Swedish (B1). Just started: Icelandic, Romanian, Occitan/Provençal.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16482

Postby vegantraveller » Tue May 19, 2020 5:20 pm

Hello everybody!
My name's Yari, I'm from Italy and I am a passionate language learner and enthusiast.
I used to post, quite a few years ago, in the old HTAL forum, with my older nickname hokusai77 (hence my avatar!). After a few years of absence, I am happy to find an even more active language learners' community out here on this forum.
I am a native speaker of Italian, and I'm fluent in English and French. I'm also an upper-intermediate speaker of German and Japanese (still honing my skills in both of them), and a beginner in Swedish.
I'm sure that, thanks to this incredible community, my motivation in learning and mastering languages will only grow bigger!
12 x
I'm a man from Italy, not an owl from Japan :mrgreen:

Please correct my errors!

Raccoon
Languages: French (N), English, German (advanced beginner)

Postby Raccoon » Thu May 21, 2020 2:33 pm

Hello folks,

I am Raccoon, a native french speaker and learning german is my hobby. As I am getting more serious and involved about it, I seek other language enthusiasts to discuss techniques, understand the language acquisition process and find new ways to make it fun. ;)
7 x

ProtectKutyas
Languages: English (N), Hungarian (B2/C1), French (A2)

Postby ProtectKutyas » Fri May 22, 2020 2:57 am

Hey everyone!

I'm a native English speaker from Ireland. Also learning Hungarian (about B2/C1 level).

I'm a uni student atm, studying comp sci.

I enjoy learning about language learning and seeing how everyone goes about it, so happy to be here :)
5 x

BigZmoak
Languages: German (false beginner)

Postby BigZmoak » Sun May 24, 2020 4:59 pm

Hello everyone!

I've been reading some threads here over the past few days and thought I'd join and introduce myself. I'm a native English speaker from Ireland with an interest in learning German. I've studied it in the past and would describe myself as a false beginner.

I hope to progress a lot in German this year and look forward to any advice you may have!
3 x

arkiv
Languages: Spanish (N), English (advanced), Portuguese (beginner), French (beginner), German (beginner), Nahuatl (beginner)

Postby arkiv » Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:37 pm

BigZmoak wrote:I'm a native English speaker from Ireland with an interest in learning German. I've studied it in the past and would describe myself as a false beginner.

Ich bin auch ein Neuling in Deutsch.
Grüße!
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”