Three's Company [deu + pol + gle]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: księżycowy's Log

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu May 21, 2020 7:51 am

księżycowy wrote:I also forgot that caithim is to spend.

It's one of those verbs with multiple meanings:
  • wear - Caithim hata. I wear a hat.
  • consume (+smoke) - An gcaitheann tú? Do you smoke?
  • spend - Chaith mé tamall i bPáras. I spent time in Paris.
  • throw - Chaith sé cloch liom. He threw a stone at me.
  • have to - Caithfidh mé dul go dtí an siopa. I have to go to the shop.
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Postby księżycowy » Thu May 21, 2020 10:36 am

Yeah. Good old Irish verbs with 50 different meanings. :P
1 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga

Postby księżycowy » Thu May 21, 2020 11:35 pm

Gaelainn
27 mins.
I reviewed the audio from Lesson 5 & 6 a few times, and then worked on the audio for the first half of Lesson 7 and then read the second half of the lesson, which is primarily on pronouns (subject, object and possessive).

What is perhaps a unique feature of Irish is that the emphatic particle can be added to verbs, as well as nouns.
Here is the chart for the emphatic particle:
SingularPlural
1st-sa/-se-na/-ne
2nd-sa/-se-sa/-se
3rd (masc)-san/-sean-san/-sean
3rd fem-sa/-se

(Note: For this and the following tables the 3rd person plural is not divided between masculine and feminine. That's why I have masculine in parentheses. The third person singular is divided between masculine and feminine forms.)

So, you can have things like mo mhac-sa "my son" and brisim-se "I break". And, as can be seen, a lot of the persons use the same form. These particles are used with the possessive pronouns, not other pronouns (that I am aware of).

And the pronouns:
Subject
SingularPlural
1stsinn
2ndsibh
3rd (masc)siad
3rd fem

Object
SingularPlural
1stsinn
2ndthúsibh
3rd (masc)éiad
3rd femí

Emphatic
SingularPlural
1stmisesinne
2ndtusasibh-se
3rd (masc)seiseaniad-san
3rd femsise

Possessive
SingularPlural
1stmo/m'ár
2nddo/t'bhur
3rd (masc)aa
3rd fema

Now, for the mind bending part, object pronouns go at the end of a sentence:
Do chailleadar inné sa bhaile mhór é. They lost it yesterday in town. (Which literally is rendered something like "They lost yesterday in town it.")

I think that's enough charts for one post. :P

Deutsch
28 mins.
I did exercises A14-20 and started reviewing the numbers in A23.
I was starting to be afraid that I wasn't going to make too many of my goals with week for German, but these exercises mostly went over the present tense of regular verbs and numbers! Yay!

One thing I'm still getting used to with numbers is the ordering. Siebensiebzig. Seventy seven. It's like saying Seven-Seventy! And then throw in a hundred or thousand and you get einhundardeinundzwanzig. One hundred twenty one. But I think I'm already getting used to it this time. I was able, actually, to pick up the numbers and understand them a few days ago when I was listening to Exercise A1 when the people gave their ages.

Polski
It's in the waiting wing. I'm feeling good about adding it at this point!
2 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Postby Cèid Donn » Fri May 22, 2020 5:13 am

These particles are used with the possessive pronouns, not other pronouns (that I am aware of).

I'm a little confused by what you meant by this, seeing you later listed examples of these particles being used with non-possessive pronouns to create the emphatic forms of them: mise, tusa, etc.

You can also use them with conjugated pronouns, which is a usage that goes back to Old Irish:

Ní maith liomsa an céic -- I don't like the cake.
Is leatsa an ceann sin - That one is yours.
Tá fadhb acusan - They have a problem.

If there are any specific differences in usage in Munster Irish, I am unaware. But as I said, all of this comes from Old Irish (and there are scholarly articles out there that can be googled which go into painful detail about it) so the general concept of it all is not something that is a later development particular to any of the modern dialects.

Both Scottish Gaelic and Manx also use these forms, as they too inherited them from Old and Middle Irish, but since these languages mostly have lost their synthetic verb forms they don't use them with verbs, only with pronouns. One exception is the 1st person (singular and plural) of the conditional mood in Scottish Gaelic, the only synthetic forms really used today: Chluinninnsa an fuaim fhathast - I would still hear the sound.
4 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Fri May 22, 2020 10:52 am

You know what? I just realised that! Emphatic particles are added to the personal pronouns. I guess I always took them at their full forms and never payed attention to the endings. Of course, the textbook doesn't exactly call attention to it either.

Otherwise, I was mostly focusing on what the lesson was teaching about the emphatic particles. (Which, of course, are introduced after the emphatic pronouns.) The main jist of the lesson in that respect seemed to be their use in possessive constructs and with verbs. That's kind of why I added (that I am aware of) in there.

I hope that helps to clear up the confusion. :)
0 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Sat May 23, 2020 12:00 am

Gaelainn
33 mins.
I worked on Exercise 18. There were a lot of sentences, so that pretty much took up the whole time. Tomorrow I plan to listen to the audio for that exercise and drill it a bit. I may also try to get around to Exercise 19, but I'm not sure.

Deutsch
35 mins.
I worked on correcting my answers for all of my previous exercises, and then I actually listened to the numbers in A23. Then I worked on completing A21-22 and A24. Figuring out the numbers in A24 was tricky because the speakers were going at normal speed, and using quite large numbers (hundreds and thousands). But after listening to the numbers at least twice for all of the sentences, I got it pretty well.
1 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Sat May 23, 2020 11:03 pm

Gaelainn
55 mins.
Somehow I managed to study Irish just shy of an hour today. I didn't plan on that, but Exercise 19 was a bit difficult. But I only had to look at the answer key for two sentences while I was writing it up. So, let's check in with my goals for Irish, and see where we're at:
☑ Learn the usage of particles with ro- in them (Pg. 47, TYI)
☑ Complete Exercises 16 & 17
☑ Review the audio from Lessons V and VI and work on listening comprehension

Not only did I accomplish these goals, but I managed to move beyond them and get the whole of Lesson VII done, so I'm very happy about my progress with Irish this week!

Deutsch
33 mins.
I went through exercises A25; A27-28; A30-38. The first few exercises were still on numbers, and the first one was an audio exercises in which I had to determine whether the spoken number matched the written on in the textbook. After I realized they were saying erste, zweite, dreitte, etc. before the number they wanted me to pay attention to, it was smooth sailing.

The rest of the exercises mostly focused on verbs, their forms, and positions in sentences. It was a pretty easy review. So, let's check in with my goals:
☑ Review numbers (especially higher order numbers, like hundreds and thousands)
☑ Review present tense forms of verbs introduced in Kapitel 1
☐ Review possessive pronouns
☐/☑ Review vocabulary relating Exercises A1-A10.

So, I kinda realized by this point that the way that the vocabulary is handled in this series (as an alphabetic glossary for the whole Kapitel), I really can't cherry pick vocabulary that is relevant to the exercises that I'm working on unless I want to keep searching for them in the glossary. And that just seems like too much of a hassle to me. So I figure between my passive reading skills in German, and Anki reviews, I'm good with my last goal.

I didn't get a chance to really review the possessive pronouns yet, but that's because I'm going in order, so I'm not too worried about that one either. I reviewed the verb forms I wanted, as well as question words. Overall, I'm pleased!

I'll post new goals (which I will tweak a bit, based on how these went), and also start adding Polish into the mix tomorrow.
2 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Sun May 24, 2020 1:46 pm

Goals for 05/24/2020 - 05/30/2020

Gaelainn
☐ Review the forms and usage of the copula
☐ Review the future tense
☐ Review the imperfect tense
☐ Review the conditional tense
☐ Review forms and usage of adjectives
☐ Listening comprehension and shadowing of Exercises 20 & 22
☐ Pimsleur Lesson 1
☐ Daily Anki review

Deutsch
☐ Complete A Exercises (39-42)
☐ Complete B Exercises
☐ Review previous exercises
☐ Pimsleur Level 1 Lessons 1-3
☐ Daily Anki review

Polski
☐ Review To jest... construction
☐ Review the usage of czy, tylko and a
☐ Review noun and modifier genders
☐ Review the forms and usage of adjectives
☐ Pimsleur Level 1 Lessons 1-3
☐ Daily Anki review
0 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Mon May 25, 2020 12:17 am

Gaelainn
26 mins.
I read through the most of the grammar material in Lesson VIII. Oh, yes, the chapter on the copula. The fond memories of many a sleepless night spent trying to decode the hieroglyphics of this particular lesson are flooding back to me. :P At least this time it makes more sense! I'll try to post some notes on the morrow.

Polski
24 mins.
I did some listening and speaking practice with the two dialogues in Lesson 1 (terminology may get a bit confusing, considering that I have the workbooks that were made to go with the textbook. The author of the textbook, however, is not the author of the workbooks. Anyway, for future reference, when I say "lesson" I'm talking about Swan's textbook. When I say "unit" I'm talking about (one of) the workbook(s))

I also started working on the first three exercises assigned in the workbook. I was initially going to write them, but then they were so easy for me I just spoke them. I have the feeling I may cover two Units this week.

Deutsch
20 mins.
I slacked off a little bit (mostly because I'm trying to pace myself, so I have enough time to learn the million words from this Kapitel before I move on), and I finished the few remaining A exercises. I also started reading the chart in B1.
1 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Mon May 25, 2020 3:16 pm

Addendum to Weekly Goals
I forgot that I wanted to work through the resources I have for pronunciation, as it's important to get after a good pronunciation sooner than later.

Gaelainn
I have a copy of The Irish of West Muskerry, Co. Cork by Ó Cuív, which unfortunately does not have any audio with it.
☐ Read pgs 1-7 (Introductory) and pgs 60-61 (Elision)

Deutsch
I have a copy of Modern German Pronunciation, 2nd Ed. by Hall, with the audio.
☐ Read Chapter 2 (pgs. 10-22)
☐ Read Chapter 3, pgs 23-29 (general overview of the German consonants)

Polski
I currently have two resources, neither of which is perfect, but they are both work able in their own way. One is A Handbook of Polish Pronunciation by Puppel, et al., which does not have audio (much to my disappointment); the other is Beginning Polish by Schenker, which despite it being a fully fledged textbook, I only intend to mine the pronunciation portions out of it because it does have audio. I'll mostly work from Schenker for now.
☐ Go through pgs 5-12 of Schenker
0 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Return to “Language logs”