Rachel's Morning and Evening Language Log (Korean, Mandarin, Classical Chinese)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
an onyme
Yellow Belt
Languages: American (N); le franc,ais (B1-C1); 한구거 (B1); 忠文 (A2), ዓማርኛ (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=15312

Re: Rachel's Morning and Evening Language Log (Korean, Mandarin, Classical Chinese)

Postby an onyme » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:35 am

Welcome back! Really glad to see someone else studying Korean with native materials, as well as Mandarin with Beginning Chinese Reader. When you read in Korean, do you try to get 100% comprehension with dictionaries and breaking down sentences and such? If so, how often do you have to stop to look something up?
0 x
Just your friendly neighbourhood onyme

an onyme
Yellow Belt
Languages: American (N); le franc,ais (B1-C1); 한구거 (B1); 忠文 (A2), ዓማርኛ (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=15312

Re: Rachel's Morning and Evening Language Log (Korean, Mandarin, Classical Chinese)

Postby an onyme » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:08 pm

RachelMeier wrote:Current goals:

2 chapters of the DeFrancis readers per week until I finish them. I want to finish in them exactly 1 year so I have 16 “save” weeks where I only need to do 1 chapter. I’ve been doing 2 chapter a week for about a month now already.

One thing to keep in mind is that the time spent per chapter might increase. I have not started the Intermediate Chinese Reader yet, but Part II alone is almost as thick as both volumes of Beginning Chinese Reader and with smaller font. There are about 100 new words per chapter instead of 30-40 and 16 new characters instead of 10. This might be offset by the increased reading speed you'll have by then but it also might not.
1 x
Just your friendly neighbourhood onyme

RachelMeier
Yellow Belt
Languages: Currently Studying: Korean (Intermediate) KSL (Beginner) Mandarin (Beginner) Danish (Beginner) Classical Chinese (On Hold)

Interested in: Mongolian, Finnish, Turkish, Russian.

Previously Studied: Latin, German, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, Turkish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=165080

Postby RachelMeier » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:06 am

I don’t understand why it let me sign in on my phone and not my ipad. Anyway, hoping to restart this log. It took me 6 weeks to get through Chapter 4 in Intermediate Chinese Reader and I have been having A LOT of struggles with this textbook. Well and the pandemic was probably part of the problem.

Actually now that I’ve paused on Classical Chinese and started Danish, I probably need a new log. Hmm. Will continue posting here for the next week as I am doubtful I will be able to sign in again and want to prove it’s not a fluke.

Finished today: ICR 4 Narratives, ICR 5 Character Review, Korean Anki reviews, Danish Memrise, Danish Duo lesson

Left to do: Korean grammar, 10 min of Skritter.

LEEROY JENKINS as they say.
0 x

RachelMeier
Yellow Belt
Languages: Currently Studying: Korean (Intermediate) KSL (Beginner) Mandarin (Beginner) Danish (Beginner) Classical Chinese (On Hold)

Postby RachelMeier » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:22 pm

Hello friends. Trying to get back in the habit of brief morning and evening posts.

I am working from home today and taking breaks to continue to work through the vocabulary for Intermediate Chinese Reader Lesson 5. I also was able to really concentrate on Skritter this morning—I need to stop treating Skritter like’s it something to do with only half my attention.

I have been having so many issues with this book and I think part of it has to do with the different vocab presentation. I am trying to go through the vocab as if it were set up like Beginning Chinese Reader which I believe is a method that led me to review it several more times.

I’m worried though that another part of the issue is just that there is too much in each leason for 1 week of study. If that’s the case then I won’t finish this book until next July possibly, a far cry from my rosy dreams of finishing both this book and Advanced Chinese Reader this year. Sigh.
3 x

RachelMeier
Yellow Belt

Postby RachelMeier » Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:52 pm

Hello friends,

Another day, another dollar as they say.

Had to spend 2 hours cleaning my room and the hallway/stairs yesterday so not a ton of time to get other stuff done. But it was a nice feeling to have my room cleaned.

I have only been working on Korean and Dutch vocabulary so far this morning. I woke up a little late so no time to do Intermediate Chinese Reader. I have been considering how I could shake up my Korean study to do something that will really advance my skills. Really I want to get back to novel reading, but for the next novel I have I really wanted to finish the Chinese drama it’s based on first. But I already started another Chinese drama... LOL first world problems.

Actually what I should really be doing is trying to find another iTalki Korean tutor, but since my old tutor stopped taking students I have been pretty demotivated and haven’t found another tutor profile that really stood out to me. Also tutors cost money and I am still saving up for a Korea trip after the pandemic.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”