Dative example in Assimil L'allemand = mistake?

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
Speakeasy

Re: Dative example in Assimil L'allemand = mistake?

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:09 pm

Whereas the English case system has been largely supplanted by a more rigid word order than exists in languages still having a such a system, an analogous situation to the one above exists for some prepositions.

For example, a distinct (but now largely ignored) difference exists between “in” and “into” and “on” and “onto” or, at least, that’s was Grammar Girl continues to maintain. I agree with her, not only because she appears less dogmatic than, and nowhere near as fearful as, my 10th Grade Grammar teacher but, because she’s right.

Some differences in the use of “where” (whither, whence) are now considered archaic … um, er, to the rest of you … sorry, the forum does not have an Emoji for Old Fart.

EDITED:
Typos.
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Dative example in Assimil L'allemand = mistake?

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:36 pm

Neurotip wrote:If a single phonological form acting as a preposition can take two different cases with different meanings, is this one word with two meanings or two different words? Discuss. (10 marks)

Inspired by an old HTLAL post (about nominative/accusative/genitive forms in Russian), I say that the words are different although they look the same.
0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”