Mirrors in Language Practice

Ask specific questions about your target languages. Beginner questions welcome!
jackb
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (Intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12251

Mirrors in Language Practice

Postby jackb » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:18 pm

I recently started using a large display in addition to my laptop. Last week I noticed that I can see my reflection when I practice speaking, so I decided to pay a little more attention to my mouth and cheeks. It appears that I am not making the shapes with my mouth like I thought. After correcting, I think I sound better.

Does (or has) anyone done practice in front of a mirror to help their speech? If so, what have you done or might you suggest to some one thinking about doing it?

Or should I just continue on my way.
3 x

Speakeasy

Re: Mirrors in Language Practice

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:44 pm

Very interesting! Yes, I have used the mirror when practicing German, although not to a very large extent. While I could be wrong, I believe that Professor Arguelles suggested this technique, either on the HTLAL or on his website – Foreign Language Expertise – which, regrettably, seems to be out-of-service.
0 x

aravinda
Green Belt
Languages: .

Postby aravinda » Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:11 am

jackb wrote: Does (or has) anyone done practice in front of a mirror to help their speech? If so, what have you done or might you suggest to some one thinking about doing it?
I have used a small handheld mirror for practising sounds that I find difficult. I have seen this recommended in several books. It is most useful when you have a teacher/native speaker (I didn't), videos or at least pictures/line drawings to guide you/demonstrate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:35 am

jackb wrote:I recently started using a large display in addition to my laptop. Last week I noticed that I can see my reflection when I practice speaking, so I decided to pay a little more attention to my mouth and cheeks. It appears that I am not making the shapes with my mouth like I thought. After correcting, I think I sound better.

Does (or has) anyone done practice in front of a mirror to help their speech? If so, what have you done or might you suggest to some one thinking about doing it?

Or should I just continue on my way.

I was pleasantly surprised to read this discussion because I thought it was going to be about using a mirror for "talking to yourself" type conversation practice. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I just find your suggestion more applicable to my way of learning languages. I could see it being useful especially in languages that have many similar sounds, like Korean. Exaggerating a facial expression could help one become better understood. I may have to give it a try!
0 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

jackb
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (Intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12251

Postby jackb » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:18 pm

It's good to know I'm not the only one. There are a couple of good videos on YouTube about pronouncing certain french-specific sounds. I'm going to try to set aside a little practice with the video as the instructor and the mirror to help with self correction. I may graduate to sentences where the sounds I make grate on me.

This language learning process is an interesting thing!
1 x

Return to “Practical Questions and Advice”