Information about Smart Lang, Fast Phrases, Fluent Speak, Easy Speak

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
vinnie
White Belt
Languages: Italian (N), Engish (beginner), German (beginner)

Information about Smart Lang, Fast Phrases, Fluent Speak, Easy Speak

Postby vinnie » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:59 am

a friend of mine passed this site to me and said it might be a good resource.
I have no opinions, or rather I have some but they are prejudices, so I ask you if you know what about and if it can be useful or alternatively what impressions it gives you.
(german site)
http://your-science-daily.com/at/artike ... ige-formel
Last edited by vinnie on Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Speakeasy

Re: Information about "Fast Phrases" method

Postby Speakeasy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:02 pm

Thank you for providing the link to this new language-learning product. Before going further, I suggest that you use the EDIT function and revise the TITLE of this discussion thread so that “Fast Phrases” appears in it. Doing so might assist anyone visiting the forum locate this thread more easily.

Now then, I read through the information available on the website of “Fast Phrases” but did not find either a description of the method/product or a sample which might be used to support an evaluation before purchasing it. So, what do we know?

A 63-year-old self-declared polyglot, who admits to having no particular talent for learning languages, learned 23 of them without using a standard method. He suggests that anyone can learn a handful of languages. No experienced second language learner would dispute such claims. There are a number of glowing testimonials which we have no reason to question. Nevertheless, they appear to have been professionally-prepared. The visitor to the webpage is invited to create an account and order the downloadable product: the “regular” price of 109 € has been presently reduced to 57 € (which is probably the “true” regular price). Dissatisfied customers can claim a refund.

The only way of evaluating this product would be to “buy a pig in a poke”, make a genuine attempt at using it to learn a second language, and assess one’s ability through a recognised testing agency. The “Fast Phrases” non-method just might work; in fact, I’m sure it does! Then again, almost anything will work for someone.

If I were interested in going further, I would send the vendor a message suggesting that, with a view to giving prospective buyers an idea of what they’re signing up for, they provide access to some sample materials (at all levels in the programme), but I’m simply not that interested.

EDITED:
Typos.
Last edited by Speakeasy on Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Re: Information about one "method"

Postby Kraut » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:27 pm

The German text is machine-translated, abounds in mistakes. There's is no content in the whole web page but this guy and his "method". Speakeasy is a very polite man.

https://www.sprachheld.de/smart-lang/
Fazit: Sprachen lernen mit Smart Lang – lieber nicht!

Bei Smart Lang (und seinen Ablegern/Satelliten Fast Phrases, Fluent Speak, Easy Speak) handelt es sich um eine mehr oder weniger geschickt aufgezogene Abzocke. Mach uns bitte den Gefallen und falle auf diese nicht herein.
Last edited by Kraut on Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:44 pm

Kraut wrote:The German text is machine-translated ...
This might explain the facility with which I read the German text! I have been coping with dyslexia since my childhood and, rather strangely, my own writing seems to be machine-generated (quite seriously).
1 x

stmc2
Languages: Japanese N3, Tourist level French and Spanish

Postby stmc2 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:59 pm

Hello,

Looks like the website for this is here,

https://fastphrases.com/method/?l=en

Very little information on the site, no screenshots etc. However, one month of membership isn't too bad. Has anyone here ever signed up to this?

The German page above must be from some sort of affiliate programme, I guess.
0 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:29 pm

1 x

stmc2
Languages: Japanese N3, Tourist level French and Spanish

Postby stmc2 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:25 am

The original source of the picture is great to see. The tricks that these affiliate marketing people play.

However, just because the affiliate marketing is poor, doesn't mean that the product is poor.

No trial period and no screen shots is a bit suspicious though.
0 x

Speakeasy

Re: Information about Smart Lang, Fast Phrases, Fluent Speak, Easy Speak

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:48 am

Kraut has posted links to some very unflattering reviews of Smart Lang, Fast Phrases, Fluent Speak, Easy Speak. In contrast to the glowing testimonials on the vendor’s website, which have a “marketing” flavour to them, and which almost seem to have been written by the same hand, the decidedly negative reviews for which Kraut provided links seem to have been written by well-intentioned, seasoned, independent language learners for the benefit of the language-learning community.

I know nothing of Kraut, other than the fact that his posts are often concise and fact-based. Very often, his posts contain links to non-controversial, factual information, always of a high calibre. He has earned the confidence of many members of the forum, including me.

Via the linked comments, Kraut has counselled the readers of this file to avoid this vendor / these materials. I see no reason to do otherwise. However, my mind is not entirely closed to these materials; all I need to see is a recommendation posted by someone of similar standing.

With a viewi to assisting other members retrace this discussions, I suggest that “Vinnie” reappear and use the EDIT function to revise the TITLE of this thread to read: Information about Smart Lang, Fast Phrases, Fluent Speak, Easy Speak.
2 x

vinnie
White Belt
Languages: Italian (N), Engish (beginner), German (beginner)

Re: Information about Smart Lang, Fast Phrases, Fluent Speak, Easy Speak

Postby vinnie » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:55 pm

Sorry it took me so long to edit the title of the topic, I wanted to do it sooner.
Thanks for the answers, honestly my "prejudices" corresponded exactly to what you said, so I can say that at most the method "could" be good even if the advertising is not at all.
(And I think there's no reason to rappresent bad something that's good)
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”