Modern Greek Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
embici
White Belt
Languages: English (N) French (B2) Spanish (C1) Greek (A2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5175

Re: Modern Greek Study Group

Postby embici » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:38 am

bookstorecowboy wrote:Does anyone have an online tutor to recommend?
I'm a beginner.

There are many good Greek tutors online and all the ones I've had spoke excellent English which is important for a beginner. Since I'm in North America, the time difference limits me to those who teach on weekends. I don't know where you are and if that's an issue or not.

iTalki has the biggest selection at the best prices. I would recommend trying a few and then once you've narrowed it down, try a few classes. I've had a few teachers who seemed great at first, but with time, I just didn't enjoy the classes any more.
0 x

bookstorecowboy
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (intermediate), Spanish (intermediate), modern Greek (beginner)

Postby bookstorecowboy » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:10 am

Thanks, but I asked for recommendations. I am aware that there are tutors online and that I can try different ones and do not need that information.
0 x

bookstorecowboy
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (intermediate), Spanish (intermediate), modern Greek (beginner)

Postby bookstorecowboy » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:11 am

Thala wrote:
bookstorecowboy wrote:Does anyone have an online tutor to recommend?
I'm a beginner.

This guy on iTalki is rated super high and seems to be the top tutor. There are a ton of other tutors there too.

Thank you.
0 x

embici
White Belt
Languages: English (N) French (B2) Spanish (C1) Greek (A2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5175

Postby embici » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:52 am

bookstorecowboy wrote:Thanks, but I asked for recommendations. I am aware that there are tutors online and that I can try different ones and do not need that information.

Wow. Seems unnecessarily rude. I thought you might say what time zone you're in, for example, and I could give you some specifics. But if you're going to be this way about it...
0 x

Neurotip
Green Belt
Languages: eng N; ita & fra B2+, ell & deu B2-, ísl B1 (spa & swe A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9850

Postby Neurotip » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:18 pm

Dragon27 wrote:Meanwhile, Canepari's description of the Greek Phonology has become available

Thanks for posting that, Dragon27! I can't believe I haven't come across this guy before. He seems to be a bit of a maverick but sources I trust* suggest that he has something interesting to say. Whether I have time and energy to study his phonetic transcription system and thereby find out what he's saying, remains to be seen :D

*Google, obviously
0 x
Corrections welcome here

Dragon27
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)
English - best foreign language
Polish, Spanish - passive advanced
Tatar, German, French, Greek - studying

Postby Dragon27 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:13 am

Neurotip wrote:He seems to be a bit of a maverick

Yeah, reading some of his rants where he lashes out (in response) at other phoneticians or complains about the non-phoneticity of different writing systems of the languages of the world could be quite amusing.
Nevertheless, his phonetic system is very useful and decidedly more accurate than the traditional IPA, and the information available on his website is comprehensive enough to become my go-to source for obtaining phonetic information about almost all the languages I'm interested in studying. Although it does require some perseverance and mental tenacity to get over the "utterly baffled by all the terms and symbols" stage to the "I finally get how all of this works" stage.
If you intend to scour his site, don't forget to look into the Media Manager. There are many files that aren't available otherwise (i.e. don't have the links on the site's web pages; they were transferred to the new site from the old one which has become discontinued). Some of the good ones are chapters from his old A Handbook of Phonetics (starting with "hph_"), for example, concise phonopses of the various languages of Europe and Asia, or A Handbook of Pronunciation (files starting with "hpr_"), which contain, for example, information on German and French not available in his excerpts from the dedicated monographs on these languages.
Last edited by Dragon27 on Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

bookstorecowboy
White Belt

Sets of Cognates

Postby bookstorecowboy » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:13 am

Hi, I am working on creating sets of cognates in Greek. The first one is of wild animals. It's pretty easy to bridge the gap between Greek and English with these words.

Corrections are welcome.

https://quizlet.com/494065638/greek-new ... cards/?new

There are other sets there, too.
Some of these cognates are a bit hard to see as cognates. I'm not sure "cognate" is exactly the right word.

For example:

cattle το βοδινά
bull ο ταύρος
housepets ζώα του σπιτιού
bird το πουλί
swan ο κύκνος

βοδινά relates to bovine; ταύρος to taurus, the astrological symbol; ζώα του σπιτιού to zoo, πουλί to pullet, κύκνος to cygnet.
0 x

Neurotip
Green Belt
Languages: eng N; ita & fra B2+, ell & deu B2-, ísl B1 (spa & swe A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9850

Re: Sets of Cognates

Postby Neurotip » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:51 am

bookstorecowboy wrote:Hi, I am working on creating sets of cognates in Greek. The first one is of wild animals. It's pretty easy to bridge the gap between Greek and English with these words.

Nice. I found πουλί quite easy to remember but wasn't sure why -- the 'pullet' connection probably explains it.
0 x
Corrections welcome here

Thala
Yellow Belt
Languages: Native: English (N), Bulgarian (N)
Learning: Greek (A1), Russian (A2)
On hold: Spanish (B1)
Future: Italian, German, Portuguese, Norweigan, Korean, Mandarin
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=146347

Re: Sets of Cognates

Postby Thala » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:53 am

Neurotip wrote:
bookstorecowboy wrote:Hi, I am working on creating sets of cognates in Greek. The first one is of wild animals. It's pretty easy to bridge the gap between Greek and English with these words.

Nice. I found πουλί quite easy to remember but wasn't sure why -- the 'pullet' connection probably explains it.

"Poultry" maybe?
0 x
Language Transfer Greek: 120 / 120 (120/120 lessons)
Greek iTalki Lessons: 9 / 100 (9/100 lessons)
Russian iTalki Lessons: 11 / 100 (11/100 lessons)

bookstorecowboy
White Belt

Postby bookstorecowboy » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:25 am

That's it! I can't believe I thought of "pullet" before "poultry." The mind plays some strange tricks.

At last, the mystery of that strange word is solved.
0 x

Return to “Study Groups”