2020 - A new decade of language learning

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Komma
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N); learning actively: Japanese (beginner); learning passively: English (probably C1/2), French (false beginner); on halt: Spanish (beginner)
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... =15&t=1067

2020 - A new decade of language learning

Postby Komma » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:42 pm

Hello everyone,

after taking a learning break, I want to start again. This new year I realized that there is also a new decade starting and this is a perfect opportunity to rethink my language learning journey. Since most of the time "we overestimate what we can do in a year and underestimate what we can accomplish in 10 years" (no idea who really said this first, but it's not my own words) I'd like to think a bit further ahead.
The languages I want to explore in those 10 years are

1. Italian
  2. Perfecting English
  3. Japanese
  4. (biblical) Hebrew

1. Italian

This is the newest language on my wishlist and actually the one I am most excited about. I have no clue why I haven't started learning it before. I always wanted to go to Italy, I love italian food and the sound of the language. I like those aspects so much more than french and spanish, which I both already started learning. With french I think I just wanted to continue because I started it in school and didn't want to lose my knowledge. However, I don't really have any motivation to learn it. Similar with spanish. I learned it, because my boyfriend knew some and we went to spain several times. But actually, I was always more curious about Italy.
Additionally I have an italian colleague who is quite communicative and it might be nice to talk some italian with him.

My Aim:

Unlike before I want to focus on conversational italian. Being able to speak and listen would be most important. I have the impression reading and writing will be rather easy given my background in french and spanish, but I don't focus on written language and doing reading for learning.

My Approach:
  • learn the pronunciation of the letters and common letter combinations
  • learn the most common words
  • learn some very common or useful phrases
  • go through some courses I found online to learn about the essential grammar (like how to actually build a sentence, how to conjugate verbs, prepositions, etc.)
  • do some little projects (got inspired by Teango's 3 Day projects) - for example 'learn to introduce yourself', 'talk about your favourite food'; It is similar to those lessons in courses for tourists, but I want to think of the lessons on my own and what suits me. I would search for words or phrases, the grammar I need etc.
  • practice the outcome with the colleague (or sign up at italki or so)

2. Perfecting English
I want to improve my grammar and pronunciation to be able to write great texts (mostly in scientific context) and do talks/presentations. I would consider my english being quite good already and probably the international audience, of which most are no native speakers as well, doesn't notice any errors. But I still like to improve and not enforce wrong things.

3. Japanese
This would be more the opposite of my italian study. Here my motivation is to watch anime and maybe even read some manga. I know this is not necessarily real japanese that you would use in conversations, but at least at the moment that is not what I care about.
This project is more of a future project and needs further planning once I actually decide to tackle it.

4. (biblical) Hebrew
I am quite fascinated of this language, although I have no connection to people speaking it or the culture. And I might be more interested in the ancient version out of curiosity.
The same applies as for japanese: it's a future project and need further elaboration.
3 x
: 38 / 113 Assimil French - passive
: 5 / 40 Language Transfer
: 20 / 81 Le petit Prince
: 0 / 52 Grammaire progressive - intermédiaire
: 0 / 28 Vocabulaire progressf - débutant

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Re: 2020 - A new decade of language learning

Postby golyplot » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:56 pm

Komma wrote:I want to improve my grammar and pronunciation to be able to write great texts (mostly in scientific context) and do talks/presentations. I would consider my english being quite good already and probably the international audience, of which most are no native speakers as well, doesn't notice any errors. But I still like to improve and not enforce wrong things.

Well since you asked, here's how I would phrase it.

I want to improve my grammar and pronunciation so I can write well (mostly in a scientific context) and do talks/presentations. I would consider my English to be quite good already and the international audience, which are mostly not native speakers either, probably wouldn't notice any errors. But I still like to improve and not reinforce mistakes.

The first sentence is correct, apart from missing "a" before "scientific", but it sounds slightly unnatural to me. The changes there are mostly just a matter of preference. The second and third sentence contain several grammar mistakes. In particular, "enforce" doesn't mean what you want it to and "doesn't notice" suggests that you are talking to the audience right now instead of speaking speculatively. Overall though, your English is very good, so don't be discouraged.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”