A year of Korean input/exposure

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

A year of Korean input/exposure

Postby AndyMeg » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:06 am

After some months of absence, I'm back! :D

These are my previous logs for Korean:

K-dramas: Here I come!

My korean adventure: fun and enjoyment as a guide

I'm still following the general principle of "fun and enjoyment as a guide", but this year I'm adding an increased focus on different kinds of input.

For my work and my creative writing studies, I have to think a lot, so this year I'm looking to focus on activities that require low energy levels and that are mainly input/exposure based.

I've been exploring Netflix possibilities for language learning and I've come up with some activities I do.

I think the main tools I'll be using this year are Netflix and Viki.

As specific goals tend to interfere with the "fun and enjoyment" part of my activities, I'll just do whatever I want and then I'll register it here.

For now these are the activities I'm doing:

- Watch the k-dramas "Stranger" (비밀의 숲) and "Romance is a Bonus Book" (로맨스는 별책부록) with korean audio-description and spanish subs. I'm currently about to start episode seven for both dramas.

Watching a k-drama with korean audio-description was a first time experience for me and it took me a few episodes to get used to it. But I really like that it gives me more exposure to the language as I'm not only hearing the dialogues but also the descriptions of what's going on and it's nice to try to connect the korean I'm hearing with what I'm seeing is happening.

I'm enjoying this experience quite a lot, so I'm actually using it for other languages as well, with some variations. For example, I'm watching "Titans" with the english audio-description activated and the english CC subtitles (I want to improve my english pronunciation and I've found out this kind of activity helps me a lot). And I'm re-watching one of my favorite japanese dramas: "Erased" (僕だけがいない街) with japanese audio-description and japanese CC subs (my main difficulty with japanese is reading kanji, so I'm trying to connect the CC with the spoken dialogues, while I also get a good amount of exposure thanks to the audio-descriptions).

- Watch "The Worst Witch" (꼴찌 마녀 밀드레드) and "The Boss Baby: Back in Business" (보스 베이비: 돌아온 보스) series with korean dubs and english subs. For "The Worst Witch" I'm in the middle of episode 6 of the first season, and for "The Boss Baby" I'm about to start episode 2 of season 1.

- Re-watching the k-drama "Tomorrow with you" (내일 그대와) with korean audio (because it didn't have the korean audio-description option) and korean CC subs. I'm in the middle of episode 1.

- Transcribing by hand the CC subs of the k-drama "Because This is My First Life" (이번 생은 처음이라), which I had previously watched with english subs. I'm at the start of episode 1.

NOTE: Someone told me that using yellow helps to remember things better, so I've changed the subtitles settings to show black letters on a yellow background for all the shows.

I'm not in a hurry to finish any of the shows, so I'm just watching whatever I want at any given time.
Last edited by AndyMeg on Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
5 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)

Re: A year of korean input/exposure

Postby AndyMeg » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:07 am

Completed activities:

Korean audio-description and Spanish subs:

- Watched all the 16 episodes of "Romance is a Bonus Book" (로맨스는 별책부록)

Korean dubs, no subs:

Finished watching the movie "Hotel Transylvania" (몬스터 호텔)

Korean dubs and Spanish subs:

Finished watching the movie "Hotel Transylvania 2" (몬스터 호텔 2)
Last edited by AndyMeg on Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:08 am

[Reserved space #2]
0 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:49 pm

ロータス wrote: Like for 비밀의 숲, does it still play what they say and then when no one is talking, describe the scene?

Yes. It says things like:

"MinHo goes downstairs while the crowd is distracted with the clowns."
"A man is standing beside a blue van, looking at the alley"

(all in the target language)

ロータス wrote:Is this feature usually for blind people?

Yes. But it is also really useful for us, language learners. And the same goes for the CC subs, that are usually aimed at deaf people, but offer a great opportunity for language learning as they follow the original dialogues more closely than normal subs and also give some extra information.

ロータス wrote:Can you explain how you use this 'audio-description'?

The availability of audio-description for your target language usually depends on the settings of your profile. For language learning purposes I've created three different profiles in Netflix (you can create up to 5 different profiles within the same Netflix account):

Profile 1 isn't associated with a specific language. I usually get three language options for the shows (but this varies from show to show according to availability and, probably, other factors): audio in english, spanish or in the original language (here, there are two options: normal audio, or audio with descriptions); subs in english, spanish (from Spain or from Latin America), or CC in the original language. (This here, is for shows originally filmed in my target language).

Profile 2 has Korean as the main language and all the interface is in Korean. Here I can usually find CC subs (and, probably, audio-descriptions) that don't appear in my Profile 1, and also other options like Korean dubbed shows. For example, in this profile is where I'm watching "The Worst Witch" (꼴찌 마녀 밀드레드) and "The Boss Baby: Back in Business" (보스 베이비: 돌아온 보스).

Profile 3 usually has Japanese as the main language (and thus, the interface), but this is my "playful profile", so I change the main language from time to time if I'm interested in seeing what's available in a specific language other than Japanese.

Another cool feature of Netflix is that you can download episodes to watch offline. If you want to use this feature, be sure to select your intended audio and subs/CC settings in the specific episode/series before downloading, because it usually doesn't download all the audio/subs options that are available when online.
4 x

Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Re: A year of Korean input/exposure

Postby Christi » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:58 pm

Yay, you're back!

I really liked ''Because this is my first life'', thought it seemed pretty different compared to other shows when it came out. Also loved ''Romance is my bonus book''. Have fun watching!
1 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:03 am

Christi wrote:Yay, you're back!

I really liked ''Because this is my first life'', thought it seemed pretty different compared to other shows when it came out. Also loved ''Romance is my bonus book''. Have fun watching!

Thanks! :)
0 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:18 am

Quick update:

- My sister and I watched the Korean dubbed version of the movie "Hotel Transylvania 2" (몬스터 호텔 2) with Spanish subs. It was a really fun watch.

- Watched two more episodes of "Romance is a bonus book" (로맨스는 별책부록) with Korean audio-description and Spanish subs.

- Finished re-watching the first episode of "Tomorrow with you" (내일 그대와) with the Korean original audio and Korean CC subs.

- Stopped transcribing by hand the CC subs of the k-drama "Because This is My First Life" (이번 생은 처음이라). I was moving at a really slow pace and I didn't feel motivated to continue.

I tried to change this activity for reading the CC subs out loud. The pace felt a lot faster, but still too slow for me to want to continue.

I wanted to see if it was because of my current level in the language or because of the activity itself. I tried it with english and spanish subs. My pace was notably faster (especially for spanish, of course), but the activity itself felt rather boring. I discontinued it.

Maybe in the future I'll try a variation I know I enjoy: selecting scenes and "acting" the dialogues.

For now I decided to just re-watch the drama with Korean CC subs.

- Started re-watching "Operation Proposal" (프러포즈 대작전) with korean CC subs. I'm near the end of episode 1. (And I also re-watched the first half of the last episode as I wanted to see the contrast between the beginning and the end of the drama).

- Found Peppa Pig dubbed in Korean with the option to add subs in english. Watched the first two segments (mini-stories) of episode 1, season 1. Not sure if I'll watch more or not.

- After the holiday season, we finally had the first Korean free class of the year. We finished the book 서강 한국어 1A and started to work with the book 서강 한국어 1B. We have homework for next class. The classes used to be twice a week, but there are some problems and for now we'll only have class once a week.

This Sunday we'll have this year's first class of the paid classes. The teacher said there will be some changes but we don't know the details yet.
2 x

kraemder
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
Japanese (JLPT N2)
German (read several books)
Spanish (read a couple books)
Korean (studying for about a year semi seriously)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1204

Postby kraemder » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:47 am

AndyMeg wrote:Quick update:

- After the holiday season, we finally had the first Korean free class of the year. We finished the book 서강 한국어 1A and started to work with the book 서강 한국어 1B. We have homework for next class. The classes used to be twice a week, but there are some problems and for now we'll only have class once a week.

This Sunday we'll have this year's first class of the paid classes. The teacher said there will be some changes but we don't know the details yet.

Is this at college or a community center? It’s interesting how you call the classes free and paid...
1 x

Bex
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 77#p157977

Postby Bex » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:40 pm

Good to see you back :D

I keep swinging between real studying and just immersing myself at the moment, so I'll be following with interest.
1 x
Kwiziq
A0: 100 / 100
A1: 100 / 100
A2: 100 / 100
B1: 91 / 100
B2: 53 / 100

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:49 pm

kraemder wrote:
AndyMeg wrote:Quick update:

Is this at college or a community center? It’s interesting how you call the classes free and paid...

Here a post from Aug 12, 2019, so you can get a better idea of both classes:

AndyMeg wrote:
Korean classes:

I think part of the reason why I've stopped doing some of my book-related activities is because I'm now doing more activities in the "korean classes" front. Here a summary:

- I continue going to my once a week classes. (they are cheap and I enjoy its unstructured nature --> we have an "official" textbook but most of the time we don't follow it and just go with whatever the teacher wants to teach us that day and we also have some extracurricular activities from time to time like "korean movies day" or "korean cooking day"). A lot of people stopped going to the classes lately, so the teacher decided to merge all his groups (there were three). The problem with this is that we now have one class for people with very different levels of korean. The good thing is that by helping the absolute beginners I've been reinforcing the basics of the language.

- Thanks to a korean event I went to about three weeks ago I got to know about free korean classes that were given by korean volunteers nearby (I can go on foot from my house). My sister (who is also studying korean) and I wanted to start right away but they were near the end of the current term, so the teacher wanted us to wait until september in order to start with a new batch of students. My sister wasn't fond of that idea because in that case we would have to start with the absolute beginners that didn't even know how to write hangul, so she convinced the teacher to let us join one class to see if we had the right level to be in the current group. After going to that class we realized we indeed knew all the grammar they had seen so far, but we didn't knew all of the vocabulary, so we had to work on that front. The problem was that the next week they were going to have the "final exam" of the term, so if we wanted to continue with the group we had to take the exam. It was really stressful trying to fit time to learn all the vocabulary of the exam because I was really busy with other things, but I somehow learned enough vocabulary to probably pass the exam (we took it last week, but we don't know the results yet).

The exam was given on two different days. The first day was the written part and the second day was the spoken part. We made a few mistakes here and there (especially in the spoken part) but I think we'll probably pass it.

If we passed the exam then we'll continue with the current group with two-hour-long classes two days a week. They are using the "Sogang book series" (서강 한국어).

My sister and I passed the exam for the free classes and we have been going for some months now. The classes are organized by the "Korea International Cooperation Agency" (KOICA).

Around that time my sister and I also joined a "korean culture and language" study club. The club has activities every Sunday for two hours. I went for around two months and then I stopped going. There were many reasons for my decision, the two main ones being that Sunday used to be my day for relaxing and rest, but it had suddenly become "Korean study day" (the Korean club in the morning and the paid classes in the afternoon) and I was building up too much stress; and I also didn't like the direction the club activities were taking.
Last edited by AndyMeg on Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”