Russian Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
Dragon27
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)
English - best foreign language
Polish, Spanish - passive advanced
Tatar, German, French, Greek - studying

Re: Russian Study Group

Postby Dragon27 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:50 pm

a386942 wrote:Thank you both for helping me again!

Another question: In "обвинение" the first "е" is stressed, right? like "обвин[е]ние". If yes, why does it sound like "обв[и]нение"?

The stress is definitely on "обвин[е]ние". Mishearing of stress in a foreign language is quite common, I would say (at least, it is for me). Stress usually involves a reasonable change in the volume, length and tone of a syllable (and the quality of the nuclear vowel), and different languages may combine these variables in their own way that can throw a non-native ear off. Besides, it's a part of a phrase, and the rhythm of the whole phrase (which can have different pattern in different languages too) may also cause some confusion.
4 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:25 pm

Here is an unrivaled chance to listen to “His Master’s Voice” and own a piece of history:

10 x LP VINTAGE USSR RUSSIAN RECORD STALIN SPEECH RARE 1946 – eBay.com
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-x-LP-VINTAGE-USSR-RUSSIAN-RECORD-STALIN-SPEECH-RARE-1946/233434863888?hash=item3659cd5910:g:oncAAOSwvzFd9g1n
Stalin Speech.jpg

Stalin Speech 2.jpg

Nostalgia ain’t what it used to be!

Addendum
I suspect that the current owner of this collection of vintage records has misidentified them as being "LPs"; the close-up image and the date of release (1946) suggest a set of 78 rpm shellac records as opposed to a set of 33-1/3 vinyl long-playing records which would represented an exhausting 7.5 hour speech. ;)

EDITED:
Addendum
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:54 pm

How has everyone's Russian study gone this year? I know there have been some great successes across the forum this year!

For me personally, this year was not a great success for Russian. It's increasingly important to me (I have a job that does not require Russian, but is sort of Russian-aligned), but I also really struggle to make it part of my life. I enjoy speaking to people, but I haven't quite found a rhythm for reading, etc. I've been trying to get in more podcasts to get it to become part of my life that way, but it never clicked like the French podcasts did. I do want it to improve, but that just doesn't quite feel like enough to get me going. Maybe that will click up a notch in 2020, but given current commitments for the first half of the year, I'm not sure.
3 x
Corrections appreciated.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:30 pm

Has anyone used Kartina TV?
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:53 pm

Not my area, sorry!
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:33 am

Well, I subscribed and it is awesome. 150+ Russian channels, and some of my old favorites. Having so much fun.
3 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:56 pm

I'm watching Орел и Решка and they're in Geneva. Бедняков lost the flip, so he's on the $100 budget. For his sleeping arrangements, he found a campground, and got his space and tent for $23. He was commenting on how great the view was of Lake Geneva, a "million-dollar view" for only 23 баца. At least that's what it sounded like.

I can't find бац or бацо or anything like it. I assume this is like our "bucks." I relistened once and it certainly did not sound like he was saying "bucks-a" or something like that. Any ideas?
1 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:16 am

IronMike wrote:I'm watching Орел и Решка and they're in Geneva. Бедняков lost the flip, so he's on the $100 budget. For his sleeping arrangements, he found a campground, and got his space and tent for $23. He was commenting on how great the view was of Lake Geneva, a "million-dollar view" for only 23 баца. At least that's what it sounded like.

I can't find бац or бацо or anything like it. I assume this is like our "bucks." I relistened once and it certainly did not sound like he was saying "bucks-a" or something like that. Any ideas?

Hm, despite being in Geneva are they giving the budget in dollars? I've definitely heard "баксов" to talk about money, usually suggesting a comparable amount of dollars to rubles, but maybe Euros as well. I've also heard something like бабки but again, if you're not hearing a "k" sound then, that might not be it either.

That site looks great but, I can't add another subscription to my life right now! There's still plenty of Russian Netflix shows I've yet to watch.
2 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:09 pm

David1917 wrote:
IronMike wrote:I'm watching Орел и Решка and they're in Geneva. Бедняков lost the flip, so he's on the $100 budget. For his sleeping arrangements, he found a campground, and got his space and tent for $23. He was commenting on how great the view was of Lake Geneva, a "million-dollar view" for only 23 баца. At least that's what it sounded like.

Hm, despite being in Geneva are they giving the budget in dollars? I've definitely heard "баксов" to talk about money, usually suggesting a comparable amount of dollars to rubles, but maybe Euros as well. I've also heard something like бабки but again, if you're not hearing a "k" sound then, that might not be it either.

That site looks great but, I can't add another subscription to my life right now! There's still plenty of Russian Netflix shows I've yet to watch.

Well, I don't necessarily have the best ears out there, and Kartina TV's rewind capability is not my favorite, so I only relistened once. It very well could have been 23 баксa. Thanks!

And yes, they do everything in dollars. The woman who won the flip spent over $39,000 for the two days, including eating $3900+ worth of black caviar (half a kilo).
1 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:14 am

IronMike wrote:He was commenting on how great the view was of Lake Geneva, a "million-dollar view" for only 23 баца. At least that's what it sounded like.

Sounds like баца to me too.
1 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

Return to “Study Groups”