Le groupe français 2016 - 2019 Les Voyageurs

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
User avatar
James29
Blue Belt
Posts: 753
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:51 am
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)
x 1681

Re: French Group 2016 - Les Voyageurs

Postby James29 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:57 am

tomgosse wrote:If I may ask, where did you buy it and how much did it cost ?


I bought it online at Abebooks used for roughly $25 or 30. It is somewhat expensive, but I think it is well worth it. A quick look through the table of contents makes it look quite comprehensive.
1 x

User avatar
tomgosse
Brown Belt
Posts: 1139
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:29 am
Location: Les Etats Unis
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185
x 2301
Contact:

Re: French Group 2016 - Les Voyageurs

Postby tomgosse » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:36 am

James29 wrote:
tomgosse wrote:If I may ask, where did you buy it and how much did it cost ?


I bought it online at Abebooks used for roughly $25 or 30. It is somewhat expensive, but I think it is well worth it. A quick look through the table of contents makes it look quite comprehensive.

Thanks. I found a used copy for $40. Still less expensive than the Amazon price. :) It should be here this week.
0 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

haziz
Yellow Belt
Posts: 76
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:54 pm
Location: USA
Languages: English (L2 but at native level - my primary language), Spanish (Beginner - ?A1), Egyptian Arabic (N but not using the language), Modern Standard Arabic (?C1 passive/reading, A2 active/writing - also not using), French (Studied in school but retained very little).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9602
x 83

Re: French Group 2016 - Les Voyageurs

Postby haziz » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:38 pm

James29 wrote:The last few days I have been spending a couple hours a day working through French for Reading by Sandberg. It is amazing. I learned Spanish a more traditional way... Pimsleur, Michel Thomas, Assimil, FSI, etc. This method is totally different and I am loving it.

The book basically breaks down basic vocabulary and grammar into programmed phrases that build up to a reading at end of each chapter. It only teaches the learner how to read and it is entirely "passive." Now, just after three days, I am actually reading and understanding some very simple texts. This book has hooked me on French... I hope it remains to keep my interest. I've had a hard time sticking with French in the past.



Thanks for pointing out Sandberg. While hunting for a cheaper used copy of the French book, I discovered that he wrote another book with a coauthor on Spanish and immediately ordered that in both a paperback and Kindle edition. I am halfway through chapter one and I love it! Can't wait to receive the hard copy! I usually order both a hard copy (sometimes several copies) in addition to a Kindle edition. I prefer a "real" book (hard copy whether hardcover or paperback) but the Kindle edition comes in handy when I am in a restaurant waiting for food,on my lunch break, while traveling....etc.

The Spanish book BTW is much more sensibly priced, though I will definitely also order the French book when the time comes to learn French. So far chapter one is a little reminiscent of Madrigal but with a much faster progression and without the endless "el actor es popular", "el mono es inteligente" exercises.

These books really should be better known. From what I have seen so far, I highly recommend them!
1 x
Spanish:
: 0 / 50 Linguaphone (de Hispanoamérica - 1960s)
: 2 / 30 Linguaphone Curso de español (1973-1999)
: 1 / 13 Extr@
: 0 / 15 Spanish for Readiing
: 0 / 40 Ultimate Spanish
: 1 / 52 Destinos

User avatar
James29
Blue Belt
Posts: 753
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:51 am
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)
x 1681

Re: French Group 2016 - Les Voyageurs

Postby James29 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:01 pm

One thing I find myself saying to myself as I work through this French book is that I wish I had used it for Spanish. I think this approach would be even better for Spanish as Spanish spelling and pronunciation are very straightforward. With French I am not sure if I am butchering the pronunciation. I don't see how this book would work too well in Kindle format. I suppose it would work, but I'd prefer to have a hard copy and I am a big Kindle fan.
2 x

User avatar
tomgosse
Brown Belt
Posts: 1139
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:29 am
Location: Les Etats Unis
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185
x 2301
Contact:

Re: French Group 2016 - Les Voyageurs

Postby tomgosse » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:05 pm

From December 25 to 30 Radio Neige-Folle is going to present The Little Prince and some Adventures of Tin Tin programs. I'm looking forward to them. :D

radio neige-folle.png
radio neige-folle.png (30.66 KiB) Viewed 1596 times
4 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

User avatar
tomgosse
Brown Belt
Posts: 1139
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:29 am
Location: Les Etats Unis
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185
x 2301
Contact:

Re: French Group 2016 - Les Voyageurs

Postby tomgosse » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:53 pm

tomgosse wrote:
James29 wrote:
tomgosse wrote:If I may ask, where did you buy it and how much did it cost ?


I bought it online at Abebooks used for roughly $25 or 30. It is somewhat expensive, but I think it is well worth it. A quick look through the table of contents makes it look quite comprehensive.

Thanks. I found a used copy for $40. Still less expensive than the Amazon price. :) It should be here this week.

Amazon sent me an email saying the order was cancelled. It seems that the seller does not really have the book. The cost of a new copy is $61 on Amazon. A little pricey for a text book published in 1968. :(
1 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

User avatar
tomgosse
Brown Belt
Posts: 1139
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:29 am
Location: Les Etats Unis
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185
x 2301
Contact:

Re: French Group 2016 - Les Voyageurs

Postby tomgosse » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:31 pm

Bonjour mes amis,

I added some links to cheesy education videos and some animation to the first post.

À bientôt
Tom
1 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

Doraemong's Pocket
White Belt
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:14 pm
Languages: English (N), French (B1) Korean (Beginner)
x 19

Re: French Group 2016 - Les Voyageurs

Postby Doraemong's Pocket » Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:28 pm

Don't know if anyone uses it or not, but RFI has a good 'journal en francais facile' every day. It's only 10 minutes long and basically a round-up of the news that day. Speed is quite fast for me and some days I'm flummoxed, but overall it's a good resource to hear the language.

There is an app for smartphones that has RFI, the African version, music and you can also catch up on previous episodes of various things.

Edit - Here's the link for the main site: http://www.rfi.fr/

I'll try to put the link for the facile recordings in once my computer has stopped being a pig. There are also the transcripts of the records available on the site, too.
2 x

geoffw
Orange Belt
Posts: 194
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:15 pm
Languages: Speak well = English (N), Deutsch
Speak poorly = יידיש (Yiddish), Français, Esperanto
"Speak," I guess = עברית (Hebrew), Русский (Russian), Nederlands
Actively study = Polski
Still remember a lot = Gaeilge
x 317

Re: French Group 2016 - Les Voyageurs

Postby geoffw » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:20 pm

Doraemong's Pocket wrote:Don't know if anyone uses it or not, but RFI has a good 'journal en francais facile' every day. It's only 10 minutes long and basically a round-up of the news that day. Speed is quite fast for me and some days I'm flummoxed, but overall it's a good resource to hear the language.


I've listened to RFI for years, and I started with these "easy" broadcasts. I never was able to figure out why they were considered "easy." I saw (and still see) little to no difference in difficulty compared to the standard news broadcasts (discussion segments are another story). The speed is pretty comparable and the vocabulary doesn't seem different. There's nothing wrong with these broadcasts, but no one should ever feel bad about having difficulty with this supposedly "easy" listening exercise.
5 x

User avatar
emk
Brown Belt
Posts: 1394
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:07 pm
Location: Vermont, USA
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723
x 4701
Contact:

Re: French Group 2016 - Les Voyageurs

Postby emk » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:52 pm

geoffw wrote:
Doraemong's Pocket wrote:Don't know if anyone uses it or not, but RFI has a good 'journal en francais facile' every day. It's only 10 minutes long and basically a round-up of the news that day. Speed is quite fast for me and some days I'm flummoxed, but overall it's a good resource to hear the language.

I've listened to RFI for years, and I started with these "easy" broadcasts. I never was able to figure out why they were considered "easy." I saw (and still see) little to no difference in difficulty compared to the standard news broadcasts (discussion segments are another story). The speed is pretty comparable and the vocabulary doesn't seem different.

Yeah, I agree with geoffw. RFI's Journal en français facile is not actually facile. If you can understand almost everything on your first listen, without using the transcript, you'd probably do fine on a B2 listening exam. They're great little news broadcasts, but they contain plenty of rapid French and frequent topic switches without a lot of context. A typical TV news story on specific topic is often slower and longer, with more context and more pictures.

One thing that I found very helpful around B1 was just going out and exploring different kinds of native media—there's a wide range of difficulty, and it's OK to search around for a bit until something works.
1 x


Return to “Study Groups”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests