Introduce yourself here

General discussion about learning languages
Remarkablemusician9
Languages: French (Native) English (Fluent) Japanese (Learning)

Re: Introduce yourself here

Postby Remarkablemusician9 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:57 pm

Hi,

I am Remarkablemusician9.
I have been learning Japanese for 2 years now. When I started I thought it would be a 6 months thing...
I have signed up here because I am a bit bored of reddit /r/learnjapanese.
5 x

sethp
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B1), Japanese (beginner)

Postby sethp » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:58 pm

Hi! I'm Seth. I'm a native English speaker, but I spent 6 months living in Latin America and learning Spanish. It was quite an experience!

I spent a few years learning Japanese in college, but I've lost it all due to lack of use. I'm planning an extended trip to Japan at the end of next year, and I'm trying to get back into it.

I'm trying to maintain my Spanish and re-learn Japanese, and now I frequently find myself mixing them up :? :lol:
1 x

zzzpeak
Languages: English(C1), German(B2)

Postby zzzpeak » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:35 pm

Hi, I am learning German.
I can speak in English, Japanese and Korean.
1 x

DelleLingue
Languages: English (N), Latin (C1 [passive]), Italian (beginner)

Postby DelleLingue » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:43 am

Ciao, I am Berry and I am learning Italian after studying Latin for many years.
I signed up because I love the community and resources here and felt it was time I join in after lurking since the HTLAL days!
4 x

bmacsuibhne
Languages: English (N), Scottish Gaelic (B1), Welsh (A1), Italian (A2)

Postby bmacsuibhne » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:17 pm

Hello,
My name is Breandán. I have been lurking in this forum for many years and decided to finally sign up. I will list a brief description (relatively) of my language journey to date.

Spanish: Studied 3 years in high school (in the 80's) and can order food, beer and ask where the bathroom is. Might revisit later to really learn it

Scottish Gaelic: My strongest language. I estimate a high B1/ Low B2 level. I can hold conversations on a variety of topics, but need to improve my overall listening and reading skills.

German: Studied for about a year. Maybe made it to a low A2, but had to shelve it to study Italian. Will definitely revisit as I still have an immense interest in the Language

Italian: Also studied for about a year, moved to Italy to attend University. However, I speak English in the house, the University courses were in English and all of the friends I made speak English. These are all obstacles that could be overcome, but I lost interest in the Language and have yet to become conversational. I have figured out that I learn a language best on my own time. I don't like the pressure of being forced. Although, it is a bit of a disappointment as I live in the country, for the next couple of months anyway, and I feel like I am wasting my opportunity. I will probably revisit at a less stressful time and learn it at my own pace.

Welsh: My current project. I have had the desire to learn this language for a while and now finally making the effort.
4 x

guyome
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N)

Postby guyome » Wed Jan 01, 2020 1:59 pm

Hello,

I was a semi active member at HTLAL a few years ago but never created an account here when the community moved, despite reading posts every now and then. Over the last couple of years I haven't really learned new languages (lots of dabbling though), it was more about going deeper into those I was already acquainted with.

My current project however is to learn Occitan, a language I can already sort of read (thanks to some basic study, and knowing French and Latin) but would like to know better.

I'll try and chronicle some of the things I'll do in a log but I know I am far too lazy and disorganized in my studies for it to be about learning techniques and achieving precise goals. It will probably be more something like notes about texts I read, things I listened to, and the like. I have read and enjoyed Iguanamon's and nooj's logs and I hope I'll be able to replicate something of the kind, with posts being as much (or even more) about cultural content as about language learning per se.

For some reason, I keep being drawn to minority/endangered/dead languages, so the languages I may post about will probably include Latin, Manchu, the aforementioned Occitan, and Yiddish.
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:21 pm

guyome wrote: ... My current project however is to learn Occitan, a language I can already sort of read (thanks to some basic study, and knowing French and Latin) but would like to know better...
gyome, welcome back! As a lurker, you may be already aware of the Master List of Resources discussion thread which is filed under the “Language Resources and Programs” sub-forum. If not, you might be interested to discover that it includes a link to resources for the study of Occitan. Bonne et heureurse année!
2 x

guyome
Blue Belt
Languages: French (N)

Postby guyome » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:41 pm

Thanks, Speakeasy! I wasn't aware of this thread and will make sure to have a look at it. I'm sure I'll find some interesting things and, having gathered Occitan material for the last couple of years, I may be able to contribute some.
0 x

Taeryne
Languages: English (N), French (A2), Russian (A0?)

Postby Taeryne » Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:55 pm

Hello,
I'm a longtime lurker, and realized today that I never introduced myself.
I have been trying to learn French and Russian for quite some time now, but haven't had satisfactory progress.
I'm hoping this year I can overcome a lot of the areas that don't seem to stick.
1 x

mug3n
Languages: English (N)
Cantonese (N)
French (A2)

Postby mug3n » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:56 am

Hello/Bonjour,

Just discovered this forum because I was hunting for lost episodes of a podcast that was recently taken down lol...

Anyways, hoping to achieve full fluency (so at least B2) in French one day :)
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”