All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Turkic Languages - Looking for Audio

Postby księżycowy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:22 pm

Hey everyone,
For a long time now I've had some resources for Kazakh and Turkmen that I would love to use, but unfortunately for a variety of reasons I can't. The main reason being that I do not have the audio-visual components. The items in question are:

Basic Turkmen by Oezel and Saparova - which has a set of dvds with audio tracks and videos on it. I do have the set of dvds, but it seems their was an error on some of them and now I can not assess everything on many of the dvds. The textbook and accompanying audio-visual materials have since gone OOP. I'd be more than happy to collaborate with someone to make a complete collection of these materials.

Kazakh Textbook: Beginning and Intermediate by Ayapova - also know as Learn the Kazakh Language in 70 Steps, this one has some tapes that go with it. I never was able to pick them up from the publisher, and now the audio is OOP, although the book is still available.

I know this is a long shot, but I've asked elsewhere on the net and come up empty so far. I think I'm rather safe asking for someone to share these materials, as they are OOP. If not, please let me know and I'll correct my mistake. I've gotten in touch with Dunwoody Press recently and they confirmed that these materials are indeed OOP.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
1 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Speakeasy

Re: Turkic Languages - Looking for Audio

Postby Speakeasy » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:01 pm

Hello, ksiezycowy.

I noticed that “Basic Turkmen” by Oezel and Saparova was published circa 2008 and “Kazakh Textbook: Beginning and that Intermediate” by Ayapova was published circa 2002, both by the now-defunct and much-regretted Dunwoody Press. While these are fairly recent textbooks, they do not seem to be very present on the websites of the major online booksellers. Given that these languages would fall into the “less-frequently-studied” category (a domain in which Dunwoody Press was quite active), I am not surprised by their relatively small commercial presence. Thus, it is quite understandable that locating the audio recordings even a mere decade-plus later should represent a challenge.

One reference that I came upon indicates that the University of Michigan, which is renowned for their support of language studies, may have been involved in the publication of these two textbooks. Up until a few years ago, their Language Resources Center (LRC) used to offer to sell the audio recordings in CD format for many of the textbooks the publication of which they have been involved. The sales portal no longer exists. However, at the time that the LRC withdrew from this commercial activity, they embarked on an ambitious programme of digitizing the audio recordings in their collection with the intention of offering them free-of-charge to the public (providing they possessed the copyright authority to do so). You may wish to scour their website in search of the audio recordings. Should you not find them, I suggest that you contact the LRC and request their assistance. https://lsa.umich.edu/lrc/language-lear ... lacs-.html

In addition to the above, I located a listing on the website of Multilingual Books for a copy of “Kazakh Textbook: Beginning and Intermediate” by Ayapova which apparently includes the audio recordings in the form of two 90-minute audio cassettes. This private bookseller and one-time small publisher used to be quite active in the commercial sale of their own editions of the U.S. State Department’s FSI courses from the 1960s and 1970s. This listing might be old and no longer valid; however, should you be interested in plunking down a fair amount of your hard-earned wages, you might consider sending them an Email. I have dealt with this vendor in the past (perhaps five years ago or more) and, while they respected my order for materials, they never responded to my Emails (grrr!!!). https://shop.multilingualbooks.com/prod ... termediate

Going further, I would invite you to peruse the “Master List of Resources” discussion thread which is located near the top of the “Language Programs and Resources” sub-forum.
Master List of Resources.JPG

Scroll down to the entry for “Turkic" resources”, open the links, and review all of the materials. I am confident that you will find something of interest.
Turkic Resources.JPG

Finally, I have a request to make of you. As discussions of Turkic resources are a rather infrequent occurrence on this forum, and as this thread contains information which would be of interest to future would-be students of this family of languages, and as it will likely get buried and forgotten with the passage of time, I recommend that you invoke the QUOTE function and that you copy/paste this entire discussion as a reply to the “Turkic” resources thread that the much-regretted reineke opened. In addition, please copy/paste the link to this thread. Doing so could represent a great service to your fellow language-learners. Reineke and Chung put a lot of time into creating these lists. As members, we can best express our appreciation by keeping them up-to-date. ;)

Good luck!

EDITED:
Tinkering.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
5 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga

Postby księżycowy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:47 am

Speakeasy,

As I stated above, I have recently gotten in touch with the publisher, Dunwoody Press. They are not defunct yet.

Anyway, I have dealt with Multilingual books before, and have gotten email replies before. I can't remember if it was from the general "sales" email or not though. So I'll give them a try.

I'd also be interested to know what that reference is that directed you to the University of Michigan.

Thank you for the help!
0 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Kat
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (advanced), Dutch (intermediate)

Postby Kat » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:19 am

WorldCat.org lists two German libraries that have the audio for your Kazakh textbook:
https://www.worldcat.org/title/learn-th ... /833642440

The first one, Goettingen, takes part in an international inter-library loan program. I only skimmed the page with their prices, terms and conditions and didn't see anything referring to audio materials, so I don't know if these are covered at all and how much a loan would cost. If you want to dig deeper, here's a link to their English webpage on this topic.

The second library, the Staatsbibliothek zu Berlin, lists an e-mail address for in inquiries about inter-library loans on this English webpage. Audio materials are not mentioned here either, so I don't know if they are covered and how much a loan would cost.

Depending on where you are based it might be cheaper to use other Kazakh resources that are available online. Or you could plan a trip to Berlin if you happen to visit Germany or Poland.
3 x
Transcription challenge: 1. episode of De Ijzeren Eeuw (The Iron Century)
Minutes: 6 / 43

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:58 pm

Thank you for this lead.

If I don't hear back from Multilingual Books, I may try them out.
0 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:41 pm

Even though this thread is sufficiently necro at the moment, for the sake of posterity I thought I'd update this thread.

I was able to finally find an eBay listing for the audio to the Turkmen textbook, and now have the complete set of materials (between my own DVDs and the ones from the eBay listing)! So that is a successful mission! :D

I still have not found the audio to the Kazakh Textbook, but I've instead found Colloquial Kazakh (yes, by Routledge), so I'm considering that mission successful as well.
4 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

lemme_try
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: Russian, English
Learning: French, Mandarin
Dabbing: Japanese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=14084

Postby lemme_try » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:23 am

księżycowy wrote:Even though this thread is sufficiently necro at the moment, for the sake of posterity I thought I'd update this thread.

I was able to finally find an eBay listing for the audio to the Turkmen textbook, and now have the complete set of materials (between my own DVDs and the ones from the eBay listing)! So that is a successful mission! :D

I still have not found the audio to the Kazakh Textbook, but I've instead found Colloquial Kazakh (yes, by Routledge), so I'm considering that mission successful as well.

Are you still studying Kazakh and Turkmen?

IMO you are better off studying Turkish where there are a lot of materials, and then transitioning into Kazakh and Turkmen. I think it will take 3 months tops to learn Turkmen after Turkish, and maybe a bit longer to learn Kazakh.

And cool thing is, Turkic languages (except the ones in Russia and China), are adopting Latin alphabet. The new alphabet is pretty neat, very easy to use, and there will be uniformity of alphabet among Turkic nations by 2023, of course with exception of few native sounds. The Uzbeks are getting rid of their weird alphabet, and also adopting one that is similar to Turkish one. Kazakhstan already started using the Latin alphabet from 2021.
0 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:09 pm

lemme_try wrote:Are you still studying Kazakh and Turkmen?

I can't say i am currently learning either, no. Mostly because of the whole resource issue. But that has finally been resolved. Maybe once I get Japanese to a B1ish CEFR (N3ish? JLPT) level I can start to add in one.

IMO you are better off studying Turkish where there are a lot of materials, and then transitioning into Kazakh and Turkmen. I think it will take 3 months tops to learn Turkmen after Turkish, and maybe a bit longer to learn Kazakh.

I've thought of doing that, but I'm not particularly interested in Turkish, oddly. Plus, I'm not shooting for a high degree of proficiency in either Kazakh or Turkmen. I'd be fine with an A1-2 level. My main motivation in learning any Turkic languages are basically due to proximity to Mongolic.

Thank you for the suggestions, none-the-less! :)
2 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

lemme_try
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: Russian, English
Learning: French, Mandarin
Dabbing: Japanese
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=14084

Postby lemme_try » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:08 pm

księżycowy wrote:I've thought of doing that, but I'm not particularly interested in Turkish, oddly. Plus, I'm not shooting for a high degree of proficiency in either Kazakh or Turkmen. I'd be fine with an A1-2 level. My main motivation in learning any Turkic languages are basically due to proximity to Mongolic.

That's an odd reason to learn Kazakh or Turkmen. There are some significant differences between Oghuz and Kipchak branches of Turkic languages, despite what Turks (the ones from Turkey) say. Kipchak language was the lingua franca of Cumania (Desht-i-Kipchak). Even after the Mongolian conquests, Kipchak language was still used along with Mongolian, that's why it still survives in form of Kazakh, Tatar, Kyrgyz etc., and some of them being heavily influenced by Oghuz dialect like Crimean Tatar.

Of course there are words that are used in both languages, as Mongolian was heavily influenced by Kipchak language, but as far as intelligibility is concerned, it is very limited. So for me it is even more strange, you picked Turkmen language as well, which shares even less with Mongolian. I believe Siberian branch of Turkey languages is much more heavily influenced by Tungustic languages. Why don't you look into them instead? Or you could stick to Mongolian solely.
1 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:02 pm

lemme_try wrote:
That's an odd reason to learn Kazakh or Turkmen. There are some significant differences between Oghuz and Kipchak branches of Turkic languages, despite what Turks (the ones from Turkey) say. Kipchak language was the lingua franca of Cumania (Desht-i-Kipchak). Even after the Mongolian conquests, Kipchak language was still used along with Mongolian, that's why it still survives in form of Kazakh, Tatar, Kyrgyz etc., and some of them being heavily influenced by Oghuz dialect like Crimean Tatar.

Of course there are words that are used in both languages, as Mongolian was heavily influenced by Kipchak language, but as far as intelligibility is concerned, it is very limited. So for me it is even more strange, you picked Turkmen language as well, which shares even less with Mongolian. I believe Siberian branch of Turkey languages is much more heavily influenced by Tungustic languages. Why don't you look into them instead? Or you could stick to Mongolian solely.

It might be "odd" from a linguistic point of view, but that's not my reasoning. I'm not really interested in Turkic linguistics, or even Mongolic linguistics for that matter myself. I can see where any possible confusion could come from, with my usage of Mongolic. At the end of the day, my reasoning is whimsy. Because why not?

I mentioned Mongolian because of geographic and historical proximity. Sorry for not being clearer before. I started getting interested in Kazakh, and then started exploring further south because I found I did not know much about the region.
0 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”