The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge - Sign Up and Discussion

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)
Arizakai
White Belt
Languages: native: Czech
learning: EN/FR/SV/JA

Re: The 2019 365 Day Language Challenge - Sign Up and Discussion

Postby Arizakai » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:58 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:
Arizakai wrote:May I join this challenge for the last two months of the year? I would sign up with Swedish.

Of course! Good luck! Start date 1st of November?

Yes. Thanks. :)
2 x
Super Challenge 2022/2023:
English books: 48 / 5000 films: 372 / 9000
French books: 26 / 5000 films: 133 / 9000
Italian books: 0 / 5000 films: 0 / 9000

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:57 am

Arizakai wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Arizakai wrote:May I join this challenge for the last two months of the year? I would sign up with Swedish.

You’re in!

General info:
I’m a bit slack on updating lately. If the leaderboard is not updated for a little while longer, apologies, i’m procrastinating, stressed and playing avoidance, but rest assured I shall update the leaderboard etc in a few weeks. Keep on studying peoples!
2 x

Arizakai
White Belt

Postby Arizakai » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:04 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:
Arizakai wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:

You’re in!

@PM
Sorry for the unnecessary confusion but instead of Swedish I will do the challenge with French and Japanese. So two blocks from 1 Nov for 2 months. My goal is to learn how to study a little more systematically every day.
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:44 am

Arizakai wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
Arizakai wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:

You’re in!

@PM
Sorry for the unnecessary confusion but instead of Swedish I will do the challenge with French and Japanese. So two blocks from 1 Nov for 2 months. My goal is to learn how to study a little more systematically every day.

Separately? That means 30 min of both languages every day (total one hour). Or together? = ‘generic’ = 30 min of any language every day?
0 x

Arizakai
White Belt

Postby Arizakai » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:47 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:Separately? That means 30 min of both languages every day (total one hour). Or together? = ‘generic’ = 30 min of any language every day?

30 minutes of French and 30 minutes of Japanese. Total one hour.
1 x

Sedge
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (native language)
Languages I have or currently am studying in order of proficiency:
German (B2)
Spanish (A1)
ASL (beginner)
Russian, Japanese, Icelandic (studied briefly or for specific purposes, may revisit later)

Postby Sedge » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:54 am

Is anyone planning to continue or start this challenge for 2020? I decided the other day to challenge myself to complete a lifelong goal in 2020, and learn an endangered language (for those who study one or more of these, I'm planning to post another thread introducing myself and asking for recommendations on which language to try - please chime in there!). The parameters I came up with were basically the same as this challenge, except that I might reserve one day a week for maintenance study of other languages. I came across this forum and this thread while researching about resources for learning more obscure languages... kind of funny how life works.
2 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:58 am

Sedge wrote:Is anyone planning to continue or start this challenge for 2020? I decided the other day to challenge myself to complete a lifelong goal in 2020, and learn an endangered language (for those who study one or more of these, I'm planning to post another thread introducing myself and asking for recommendations on which language to try - please chime in there!). The parameters I came up with were basically the same as this challenge, except that I might reserve one day a week for maintenance study of other languages. I came across this forum and this thread while researching about resources for learning more obscure languages... kind of funny how life works.

I am not planning to run it in 2020. Anyone else is welcome to take it over. That person, should there be one, is more than welcome to run it as they please, copying my methods, rules etc, chopping and changing anything as they please. I don’t claim it as my property, so whoever you may be, should you raise your hand for the task, no consultation with nor permission from me would be required.

On another note. I shall endeavour to update the scores in the coming week or so.
0 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:38 am

I'm not offering to run it; I'm probably moving in January. But I'd like to provide feedback.

I love the 365 Day Language Challenge. I think the one and only thing that could be changed is the penalty for missing one day. I believe 7 days penalty (8 days total) for missing one day is too much. I know a bunch of folks dropped out of the challenge early for missing a few days because their score dropped so much. I've missed a bunch of days. (Just look at my current score.) But that hasn't stopped me from still trying to do 30 min minimum per day.

I think a penalty of 3 days for a total of minus 4 days for one day missed is probably a better number. For instance, I missed 4 days last month due to work/family stuff. That 4 days translated to 32 days or -1 day for the entire month of October. Yet I studied a minimum of 30 minutes/day for 27 days. Studying at least (30 x 27 =) 810 hours shouldn't be the same as not studying for 32 days.

Other than the penalty, I've found no problem with this Challenge, and I will continue to participate in 2020. Good job, @PeterMollenburg!
6 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Sedge
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (native language)
Languages I have or currently am studying in order of proficiency:
German (B2)
Spanish (A1)
ASL (beginner)
Russian, Japanese, Icelandic (studied briefly or for specific purposes, may revisit later)

Postby Sedge » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:18 am

I would consider coordinating it, but I will need to think on that, with other obligations taken into consideration. If I were to do so, I would probably follow IronMike's suggestion and reduce the penalty for missing a day to 3 or 4 days instead of 7, but the rest of the rules seem reasonable.
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:40 am

IronMike wrote:I'm not offering to run it; I'm probably moving in January. But I'd like to provide feedback.

I love the 365 Day Language Challenge. I think the one and only thing that could be changed is the penalty for missing one day. I believe 7 days penalty (8 days total) for missing one day is too much. I know a bunch of folks dropped out of the challenge early for missing a few days because their score dropped so much. I've missed a bunch of days. (Just look at my current score.) But that hasn't stopped me from still trying to do 30 min minimum per day.

I think a penalty of 3 days for a total of minus 4 days for one day missed is probably a better number. For instance, I missed 4 days last month due to work/family stuff. That 4 days translated to 32 days or -1 day for the entire month of October. Yet I studied a minimum of 30 minutes/day for 27 days. Studying at least (30 x 27 =) 810 hours shouldn't be the same as not studying for 32 days.

Other than the penalty, I've found no problem with this Challenge, and I will continue to participate in 2020. Good job, @PeterMollenburg!

Thanks for the feedback IronMike!

Yeah, you have some good points there. I guess I went with what seemed to be about the middle ground of opinions at the start of the challenge. Perhaps, as another suggestion, people might prefer a neutral, positive, or bonus system. A system in which you have ZERO losses, and so it appears as though you're not punished, but certainly any work you put in either shows in your score, or even more so, shows for those who can keep up streaks. Thus, you miss a day, you just don't score, don't lose anything, and of course don't gain. Then for a more positive/bonus points scoring system you get additional points of some agree amount after completing either so many days in a row, or weeks or a month straight etc. The bonus points could be displayed seperately or simpled rolled into one's overall score or both. Anyway, yes, perhaps the losses are too great and too punishing as it currently stands. Of course it could simply be altered year on year.

Another possibility is having interim winners - each month, 3 months (although clashing with the 6WC wouldn't be good), 6 months, 9 months, a year. And having people join for their own pre-determined period of time. However, that could get a little too messy and too disjointed. Imagine the remaining competitors split up into several categories. Not much of a leaderboard to look at in the end. Still, maybe a slight adjustment of the kind could be worthwhile considering.
2 x

Return to “Language Challenges”