Serpent's cyclic log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Serpent's cyclic log

Postby Serpent » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:17 pm

Finally starting a log on the new forum. The title refers to the hormonal cycle, especially the menstrual one (though cis men have a hormonal cycle too). See optimizedwoman.com for example :)
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian

Re: Serpent's cyclic log

Postby Serpent » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:20 am

What got me to start a log was a question about my football preferences :D

My absolutely biggest love is Benfica, from Lisbon. They get much of the credit for my Portuguese. I actually remember the very day I became a fan - 21.03.2009. They were playing the league cup final, Russian guy Izmailov was playing for the opponents (Sporting), yet after he came off I wanted Benfica to win. And they did, although my stream died and I didn't see it.

I've supported Fiorentina slightly longer, and I kinda began because I wanted to follow an Italian team, and this is the one my Finnish-Italian friend Leopejo supports :D It surely didn't hurt that I really like Adrian Mutu and the colour purple.

The only team I can watch instead of one of these is Real Madrid, although I'm reluctant to call myself a Madridista. When I first started watching club football in 2008-2009 I tried to support Barcelona :oops: :o although I developed negativity towards them after the whole stuff with Zlatan and Villa. I am definitely a fan of Luka Modrić though, and my Spanish has improved significantly after his transfer to Spain :D

Generally I tend to go for the red[-white] teams - Spartak Moscow, Manchester United, Aalborg (from Denmark). I'm supporting Aalborg ever since they played in the Europa League against Man City, lost 0:2 away but won at home, only to lose on penalties. I'm officially supporting United since City's 90+3 title-winning goal in 2012 :cry: Prior to that I tried to support Spurs in England, because of Pavlyuchenko who remains one of my biggest favourites. I'm still following him at Kuban Krasnodar :roll:

I also listen to most of Napoli's matches because of this commentator, and I used to watch them when Cavani played there but not much anymore. Other individual players I follow as much as possible include David Luiz, Di María, Zlatan (I'm lucky with all four at PSG now :D), Luca Toni, Mutu (he's playing for Pune City in India :roll:), Montolivo, Cerci, Forlán, sometimes Ćorluka, Gilardino, Coentrão, Falcao. I'd love to see Vidić and Tymoschuk again but I don't think I ever will.

My Super Challenge stats also show most matches I watch. And if anyone's here to argue that you can only support one team, or that you should go to all/most matches at the stadium, please don't. (the two teams I've seen live at the stadium are the Russian NT (vs Germany in 2009) and Spartak's youth team) To me these arguments are as ridiculous as telling me to focus on one language at a time :P :mrgreen:
6 x
Corrections welcome

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:57 am

Next they'll be telling you to stop at two legs. I mean c'mon, everybody has at least six nowadays. Oooh harsh I know, but hey everyone was thinking it and I was just bold enough to say it. Yep me. I've 7 legs and counting and proud of them all. Anyway, let's hope it doesn't descend into that kind of a political correct atmosphere in which legs matter! Go ummm those Portuguese soccer.. umm football dudes from Lisbon, yeah ummm.. gooo! Great to see your log now rolling Serpent. This place wouldn't be the same without you. Keep that learning via soccer up!
2 x

Ed1991
White Belt
Languages: Russian (B1), Ukrainian (A1)

Postby Ed1991 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:04 am

Serpent wrote: I'm officially supporting United since City's 90+3 title-winning goal in 2012 :cry: Prior to that I tried to support Spurs in England, because of Pavlyuchenko who remains one of my biggest favourites. I'm still following him at Kuban Krasnodar :roll:

Can't blame you for following Pavlyuchenko around. I think he got a bit of a rough time when he was at Spurs (my club), but I always liked him. Super Pav, Super Pav, Super Pavlyuchenko!
1 x

language2015
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N) French (A0) Spanish (A0)

Postby language2015 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:16 am

Its great to find another person who is passionate about soccer and language learning.

I thought I was the only one!

My interest in soccer helps motivate me to learn languages. It is very difficult to find great and intelligent soccer analysis in the United States. The US is slowly beginning to appreciate the sport and thus the journalism of soccer is focused but naive. So in search of good soccer journalism I decided to read foreign newspapers. I can't read british newspapers about soccer. In my opinion the brits enjoy tearing players to shreds, ruining manager's reputations, romanticizing their soccer history and making up unbelievable transfer rumors (Messi to United in the summer of '14). I get enough of that from the US media about US sports so I tend to shun a lot of british media. So in search of high quality soccer reporting I decided to learn Spanish, French, German and Italian (and maybe Portuguese because I love watching the Brazilian national team) in hope of reading brilliant analysis. I assume that non english news papers would have a better perspective of the sport.

So far, given what little Spanish I know, I think El País does a great job of writing about soccer.

Also, I'm an unapologetic Rapids, Chelsea, Barça, Milan, Munich and PSG fan.

I'm a bit of a glory chaser. I couldn't see the appeal of clubs like Everton, Ajax or sporting lisbon from all the way across the ocean. I get stomach pains during the Champions league knockout rounds. Chelsea vs PSG was brutal.

Keep supporting and learning!
1 x
Why did I decide to become a polyglot when I knew I am a super lazy student?!?

Anki or Die

: 700 / 10000 Mine 10,000+ Spanish Sentences
: 700 / 10000 Mine 10,000+ French Sentences
: 80 / 10000 Anki All Of It

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:40 am

Ed1991 wrote:
Serpent wrote: I'm officially supporting United since City's 90+3 title-winning goal in 2012 :cry: Prior to that I tried to support Spurs in England, because of Pavlyuchenko who remains one of my biggest favourites. I'm still following him at Kuban Krasnodar :roll:

Can't blame you for following Pavlyuchenko around. I think he got a bit of a rough time when he was at Spurs (my club), but I always liked him. Super Pav, Super Pav, Super Pavlyuchenko!

Awww :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Now I can't help feeling I've seen your username before :)
The truth is that a couple of players are above any team for me, he's one of them. I was only able to support Spartak fully after he left. I half-expected the same to happen at Spurs, but I had too much bitterness towards Redknapp and Adebayor. And on the old forum I once referred to myself as a Spurs fan, as I did want to be one. Later I was hoping Luka would go to United, which would be a legitimate reason to "switch". He didn't, but I made the switch anyway, just in time to see Fergie's last season. (I had a nightmare where he died after a defeat so in some way it was relieving when he left) I do have an inferiority complex as a United fan but at least I was there before Moyes and LVG :)

Nevertheless those seasons following Spurs were formative to me as a football fan and they hold some of my dearest memories, especially when Spurs got into CL. And of course without the many Croatians, I'm not sure I'd have ended up learning the language :)

Roma is mentioned in this GLOSS lesson btw :) (And I was at the match vs Germany that was referenced as forthcoming)
0 x
Corrections welcome

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:39 am

@language2015 very interesting! :)
I tend to follow individual journalists/writers, like @robbro7 (Rob Brown) and @AlexHoliga (Aleksandar Holiga, Croatian). I also love the many accounts associated with SpheraSports, in Spanish about various leagues. And la cara B del fútbol :D Other than this, OptaSports have cool stats.

I actually have many North American friends who support Portuguese teams :) Ironically during this season's CL draw they didn't want Benfica to get a Russian team, not that they would travel for any match anyway... well they got their wish and Benfica is going to Astana :lol:
Benfica won CL twice back in the 60's btw. After that it's been a curse :?
1 x
Corrections welcome

language2015
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N) French (A0) Spanish (A0)

Postby language2015 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:39 pm

Serpent wrote:@language2015 very interesting! :)
I tend to follow individual journalists/writers, like @robbro7 (Rob Brown) and @AlexHoliga (Aleksandar Holiga, Croatian). I also love the many accounts associated with SpheraSports, in Spanish about various leagues. And la cara B del fútbol :D Other than this, OptaSports have cool stats.

I actually have many North American friends who support Portuguese teams :) Ironically during this season's CL draw they didn't want Benfica to get a Russian team, not that they would travel for any match anyway... well they got their wish and Benfica is going to Astana :lol:
Benfica won CL twice back in the 60's btw. After that it's been a curse :?

I'll look into each of those writers work. Thanks for the tip.

Yeah, I have met some Benfica fans in America. I've met way more Barca and United fans. Its weird, in my opinion 2 out of 10 american soccer fans root for a club like Benfica. 5 out of 10 root for big clubs like madrid and munich while the other 3 are mls fans.
1 x
Why did I decide to become a polyglot when I knew I am a super lazy student?!?

Anki or Die

: 700 / 10000 Mine 10,000+ Spanish Sentences
: 700 / 10000 Mine 10,000+ French Sentences
: 80 / 10000 Anki All Of It

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:34 am

:D :D :D 8-) 8-) 8-)
4 x
Corrections welcome

haziz
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (L2 but at native level - my primary language), Spanish (Beginner - ?A1), Egyptian Arabic (N but not using the language), Modern Standard Arabic (?C1 passive/reading, A2 active/writing - also not using), French (Studied in school but retained very little).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19722

Postby haziz » Sat Nov 28, 2015 8:06 pm

I have no interest in sports whatsoever! Does that count for anything? I sometimes wonder if I am the only guy in America with no interest, at all, in sports!
2 x
Spanish:
: 23 / 55 Platiquemos/FSI
: 0 / 10 Aula internacional Plus 2
: 16 / 126 Gramática de uso del español
: 0 / 6 Difusion graded readers
: 1 / 15 Spanish for Reading
: 11 / 52 Destinos

Return to “Language logs”