Japanese - notepad for practicing writing characters

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
kaizen

Japanese - notepad for practicing writing characters

Postby kaizen » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:52 pm

I've been watching this video on writing katakana characters well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf-n_qI2occ

I'm currently traveling through Southeast Asia and thought it might be fun while waiting for buses, or at restaurants, to practice my hiragana & katakana writing. So I'd like to get a pad like the one he's using (i.e. each page contains many boxes, and each individual box is a grid cut into 4 sections by broken lines, so that you can properly position your strokes).

I'm wondering if anyone here knows what those notepads are called, either in English or Japanese. I've tried looking in stationery stores before and haven't been able to find them. And because I don't know what they're called, with the language barrier it's very difficult to explain what I'm looking for. I just got into Bangkok and know there are a few Kinokuniyas here, so they might carry them.

Thanks
0 x
"Everything we want is on the other side of fear."

George Addair

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Re: Japanese - notepad for practicing writing characters

Postby aokoye » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:30 am

A quick google comes up with genkouyoushi for the ones that are specifically set up for vertical writing practice. I don't remember the name of the grid that is shown in the video you linked to, but I've definitely seen that paper in the three Kinokuniyas that I've been to (in Seattle, Washington as well as Beaverton and Portland, Oregon). Campus is one brand that you should be able to find (and their paper is also a dream). If you can find a Daiso, you should also be able to get the notebooks there - last time I went to one I think I got two notebook pack for $1.50 or something along those lines. Looking in a Daiso would probably be my first suggestion both in terms of cost and because the likelihood of you finding them is very very high.
2 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Re: Japanese - notepad for practicing writing characters

Postby smallwhite » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:21 am

In the video during the second character (i) it says in the subtitles that the paper is Daiso exercise grid 6 something something. You can maybe screen capture that together with the grids to show people.

You can also print characters out in pale grey and write over them like you do copybooks.

Edit:
I didn’t look inside but these seem to be pdfs of copy sheets and grid sheets for you to print out yourself:
http://japanese-lesson.com/characters/h ... iting.html
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”