Russian Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
a386942
White Belt
Languages: English, Russian (beginner)

Re: Russian Study Group

Postby a386942 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:03 pm

Thank you!
But there is something strange with the ending of "справедливости" and with "тем", like it would be something else.
0 x

Dragon27
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)
English - best foreign language
Polish, Spanish - passive advanced
Tatar, German, French, Greek - studying

Postby Dragon27 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:51 am

I don't know, may be the intonation is a little bit off. What do you personally hear?
1 x

a386942
White Belt

Postby a386942 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:17 pm

Dragon27 wrote:I don't know, may be the intonation is a little bit off. What do you personally hear?

I am a very beginner, so I can't understand any other words, but it sounds like "справедливысты циво" or something like that. I know these words don't exist but that's what I hear. Maybe he just pronounced "тем" strangely...
0 x

Dragon27
Blue Belt

Postby Dragon27 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:35 pm

a386942 wrote:
Dragon27 wrote:I don't know, may be the intonation is a little bit off. What do you personally hear?

I am a very beginner, so I can't understand any other words, but it sounds like "справедливысты циво" or something like that. I know these words don't exist but that's what I hear. Maybe he just spelled "тем" strangely...

I can try to analyze your "mishearing" in this way:
- Not sure, why you hear "во" instead of "м". It may be that due to slightly unusual intonation the last part of this word becomes barely audible, so you can't differentiate between labial consonants "м" and "в";
- the vowel "е" has a slightly raised allophone after a soft consonant (you know about the difference between soft/palatalized and hard consonants in Russian, right?), so it becomes more similar in its quality to "и" (but definitely doesn't reach it), that's why you hear a different vowel;
- finally, the "ц" sound should be easily explainable - in Russian (as in Belarusian, but, probably, to a lesser degree) the soft versions of consonants "т" and "д" are slightly affricated (have a little palatalized "с/з" sound at the end) , so that soft "т" can resemble "ц" (you can say that it's a palatalized "ц"). It's quite normal (although Russians themselves may not even notice it), but depends on the speaker.
3 x

a386942
White Belt

Postby a386942 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:44 pm

Dragon27 wrote:you know about the difference between soft/palatalized and hard consonants in Russian, right?

Yeah.

Wow, thank you very much!! This is very informative.
0 x

a386942
White Belt

Postby a386942 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:47 am

Hi again!

Same video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFgvMyNXG98
Can someone please tell me the text from 2:17 to 2:23? Between "Прямо" and "папарацци".

The English text is "Before his disappearance, he was acquitted of assault stemming from a highly publicized drunken altercation with paparazzi."

I also have some form of the Russian text but it is so much full of uncertainties that I think it's better to ask you guys.

Thank you!
0 x

Dragon27
Blue Belt

Postby Dragon27 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:23 pm

I hear "Прямо перед исчезновением с него сняли обвинение в нападении, ставшей итогом нашумевшей пьяной стычки с папарацци"
Not sure why the narrator says "ставшей", maybe he misspoke, it should be "ставшем".
1 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:25 pm

Dragon27 wrote:I hear "Прямо перед исчезновением с него сняли обвинение в нападении, ставшей итогом нашумевшей пьяной стычки с папарацци"
Not sure why the narrator says "ставшей", maybe he misspoke, it should be "ставшем".

I think he's saying "обвинение в нападении, ставшее итогом", i.e. saying that it's the accusation that resulted from the drunken altercation and not the alleged assault itself.
2 x

a386942
White Belt

Postby a386942 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:34 pm

Thank you both for helping me again!

Another question: In "обвинение" the first "е" is stressed, right? like "обвин[е]ние". If yes, why does it sound like "обв[и]нение"?
0 x

Dragon27
Blue Belt

Postby Dragon27 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:38 pm

vonPeterhof wrote:I think he's saying "обвинение в нападении, ставшее итогом", i.e. saying that it's the accusation that resulted from the drunken altercation and not the alleged assault itself.

Yeah, makes more sense. The distance between the head noun and the participle clause confused me a little bit.
The ending of "ставшее" does sound quite reduced though..
1 x

Return to “Study Groups”