A new periodic short challenge with a Twitter bot

Ongoing language-learning challenges, and team challenge logs (but not individual logs)

How long would you like a 6WC-like challenge to run for?

Poll ended at Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:22 pm

3 weeks each month (21 days)
66%
Almost a month (26 days)
10%
5 weeks, not matching with months (35 days)
No votes
6 weeks like the original, eight times a year, not month-matching (42 days)
10%
Two months (60 days)
14%

Total votes: 29

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Re: A new periodic short challenge with a Twitter bot

Postby Querneus » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:27 pm

mvillalba wrote:Is this still being built? Talks about building a new 6WC bot are happening on another post (I don't think I'm allowed to post links as a new user, but it's under "Technical Support and Feature Requests") and I'm thinking if a new bot codebase exists, it could be used directly to run the 6WC as well.

Oh, damn, I didn't notice you posted this. What happened is that I ended up disliking Twitter, so I switched to do some other thing instead for that class.

It's not even because of Twitter's programming interface, but rather their more recent design decisions to the look and usability of the website, not to mention the many new limitations and stricter allowance of content. Notably, searching for tags hardly produces any results anymore. Loading comments is still buggy, even after all these years, to the point I like to imagine the bugs are kept intentionally. I got annoyed that somebody I know had their account closed for making a totally innocuous comment; I suppose they happened to poke the wrong bear. Add my pre-existing dislike for the political vitriol that is socially accepted on that website to all this, and well, more recently I proceeded to delete and close my own account too.

So that's my rant.

I think I should get around making this online challenge anyway, since there seemed to be some interest in a short three-week monthly challenge here, although if I do, it'll likely be hosted on my own website...
5 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Re: A new periodic short challenge with a Twitter bot

Postby CarlyD » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:25 pm

Ser wrote:I think I should get around making this online challenge anyway, since there seemed to be some interest in a short three-week monthly challenge here, although if I do, it'll likely be hosted on my own website...

On another website, I'm in a hobby challenge where the leader is using a Google doc to track progress. It lists everyone's name and the various categories of what we're doing and we update our own totals. It's a year-long challenge so there's a separate sheet for each month, along with a Totals sheet. I was looking at it and thinking if you changed the categories to calendar days, it would work perfectly as a 6 Week Challenge sheet.

Plus the ability to add sheets--there could be one sheet for A0-A1 people, another sheet for A2, etc. Then people could sign up under their current level, or even sign up for more than one language under different levels and the challenge could work for anyone.

Just a thought.
1 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

Return to “Language Challenges”