Michelle's 2019 Log (Spanish, French, Korean, German, Italian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
brokenrecord
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish, French, German, Korean, Italian
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 68#p202925

Re: Michelle's 2019 Log (Spanish, French, Korean, German)

Postby brokenrecord » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:00 pm

Spanish
-La sombra del viento: chapters 14-15
-Spanish newspapers: 3 articles
-FSI Basic Spanish: unit 27 part A
-Practice Makes Perfect Complete Spanish: part of unit 21
-Duolingo: 551 -> 587 crowns (28/28 days)
-La niña: nothing
-Elite: episodes 1-6

French
-Maironce: prologue and chapter 1
-French newspapers: 3 articles
-Buffy the Vampire Slayer: episodes 74-75
-CLE Grammaire Progressive du Français Intermédiaire: part of unit 51
-Memrise: 26/28 days (4456/5000 items)
-Duolingo: 397 -> 430 crowns (28/28 days)

Korean
-How to Study Korean: part of unit 1.13
-How to Study Korean Unit 1 Memrise: 28/28 days (638/1210 items)
-Talk to Me in Korean: level 2.26
-Talk to Me in Korean Level 2 Memrise: 28/28 days (226/226 items)
-Integrated Korean: started chapter 4
-Anki: my sentence deck: 25/28 days
-Anki: Evita's sentence deck: 25/28 days
-Anki: Evita's vocab deck: 25/28 days
-Goblin (도깨비): episode 8

German
-Harry Potter und der Halbblutprinz: chapters 1-2
-Dark: episode 1

Back from vacation! Okay, technically I've been back for a week and a half. I was actually going to take all of last week off from language learning because I was still a bit jet-lagged and feeling post-vacation blues and wasn't quite up for getting back into everything, but midweek I found myself bored and not sure what to do with my free time, so I ended up getting back to things earlier than planned. And I'm glad I did, because I did miss working with languages — breaks are nice and necessary, but more than about 2-3 weeks and I'm usually itching to get back. Anyways, I really only did Memrise/Duolingo/Anki on my trip, which I managed to keep up with pretty well save for a couple of days missed, and the rest is what I've done in the last half week.

Spanish:
When I was on vacation in Ireland/Scotland, one of the foreign languages I heard around me most frequently was Spanish (in part because I can actually identify Spanish whereas most other languages I wouldn't pick up on. I did hear it more than French/German, at least), and I found myself understanding what was being said without even trying to eavesdrop. Similarly, I started rewatching Jane the Virgin (in English) this past week, and there's usually at least some dialogue in Spanish in every episode, and I found myself understanding it without trying (not looking at the subtitles at all). I feel like this is a bit of a step up in my Spanish comprehension because I remember even back last October, when I was in Spain, the times I struggled with understanding other people were when someone spoke to me in Spanish and I wasn't expecting it. I needed to kind of prepare myself before I was ready to understand Spanish. But I've honestly done a lot of half-watching TV shows in Spanish this past year, and it wasn't for that purpose, but I think it kind of paid off, because now I don't feel like I need to prepare myself for Spanish being spoken. I just kind of naturally pick up on what's being said, and it's much easier for me to shift back and forth from English to Spanish. It's always fun to notice areas of improvement, especially at the level I'm at where the progress is much more gradual (while knowing that there's still a lot more improvement to be made).

I'm taking a bit of a break from La niña. I decided to rewatch the first season of Elite since the second season will be released this coming weekend, and I definitely found it easier to understand than when I watched it for the first time last fall. I'll finish that this week and then go on to season 2. I also am thinking about checking out Los espookys (an HBO show) before returning to La niña.

I'm also going to make an effort to get at least 3 crowns per day on Duolingo. I still have approximately 225 crowns to go, and at my typical rate of 1 per day, I won't finish until sometime next year, and I'd really like to make quicker progress than that. At 3 per day, I should be done sometime in November, which is more acceptable. I'd also like to make quicker progress with French (since I have way more French units to get through), but Spanish is the priority just because the end is in sight (and I probably get less out of it for Spanish than French anyways, so I might as well finish the tree already).

French:
Keeping up with French Memrise was probably the most difficult thing I did on vacation just because it was so time-consuming and reviews really pile up, but I'm glad I did, because I'm so close to being done with the deck. I usually try to add 21 new words per day, so at that rate, I should be done by late September. I'll probably continue with reviews for a bit after that (maybe a month or two — I haven't decided how long yet), but not adding anything new will be such a huge help. It does feel weird to almost be done, though, especially considering I will have completed it in about the span of a year, whereas my Spanish frequency deck took me multiple years to get through (mostly because I was using it much more sporadically, but still — it's proof of how much consistency really helps!).

German:
So I've started with my books/TV plan for German. The first page or so of Harry Potter und der Halbblutprinz was a huge struggle, but I've already noticed improvement after two chapters. I read the first book and a half of the Harry Potter series plus two additional YA books in German over the summer of 2017, which wasn't that long ago, and I got my German to a pretty decent level back in college, so my hope is that everything comes back pretty quickly. The grammar feels pretty straightforward to me, it's more my lack of vocab that's causing issues. (I actually could probably do with some SRS-ing German vocab, but the thought of adding more SRS is not super appealing. Maybe after I'm done with the French Memrise deck if I'm still struggling.)

Similarly, with Dark, I didn't struggle with the actual listening comprehension so much as not having the vocab to know what was being said. I watched the first episode without any subtitles and then went back and rewatched every scene with German subtitles and looked up unfamiliar vocab. My comprehension without subtitles was probably around 20%. Despite that, I was actually able to follow the plot fairly well from context and the sentences/words I could pick out. Honestly, I'm probably diving into native materials a bit too quickly, and I wouldn't if I didn't have the background in German that I have, but since I was at a much higher level just a couple years ago, I'm feeling impatient. So I'm just going to keep plugging away and hope that everything comes rushing back.

Wanderlust/Italian:
I've been getting an itch to play around with other languages recently. Probably in large part due to my trip, because any time I'm around languages I can't understand, I want to start learning them. So being in Ireland definitely made me want to learn Irish just due to all the signs in Irish even though I didn't actually need it to get around or communicate. The desire to learn Irish will probably fade for me (I tend to gravitate towards languages where there's at least a lot of TV/movies for me to watch, and I'm guessing I would struggle to find a lot in Irish, so that's already a barrier), but I have been getting the urge to pick Italian back up again. It really would not be a smart idea to try to add something else when I'm already trying to juggle 4 languages, and I haven't yet fully balanced German in my schedule yet. And the only reason I'm really moving forward with German is that I feel like I can progress in it with less time since I'm a false beginner, which isn't really the case with Italian (I did a little Duolingo in Italian like 5-6 years ago, but I never got that far, and I've forgotten basically everything). But I'm having a hard time convincing myself not to add at least a little Italian to my schedule. I'm going to try to hold off at least until 2020, but I also keep thinking… all this language learning is just for fun, so if I want to, why not try? If it gets to be too much, I can always drop Italian. I've accepted that my progress in all these languages is going to be very slow and gradual, it's a marathon, not a sprint, etc. Plus, even though I'm not really a false beginner in Italian, with my background in Spanish and French, I'll have at least a bit of a head start. I'm still undecided, but I'm very tempted. I may hold off a week or two to see if the temptation persists or not.
2 x

brokenrecord
Orange Belt

Re: Michelle's 2019 Log (Spanish, French, Korean, German, Italian)

Postby brokenrecord » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:55 pm

Spanish
-La sombra del viento: chapters 16-21
-Spanish newspapers: 4 articles
-FSI Basic Spanish: finished unit 27
-Practice Makes Perfect Complete Spanish: finished unit 21
-Duolingo: 587 -> 623 crowns (7/7 days)
-Élite: episodes 7-16

French
-Malronce: chapters 2-6
-French newspapers: 4 articles
-Buffy the Vampire Slayer: episodes 76-79
-CLE Grammaire Progressive du Français Intermédiaire: units 51-52
-Memrise: 7/7 days (4607/5000 items)
-Duolingo: 430 -> 440 crowns (7/7 days)

Korean
-How to Study Korean: finished unit 1.13
-How to Study Korean Unit 1 Memrise: 7/7 days (638/1210 items)
-Talk to Me in Korean: levels 2.27-2.28
-Talk to Me in Korean Level 2 Memrise: 7/7 days (226/226 items)
-Integrated Korean: part of chapter 4
-Anki: my sentence deck: 7/7 days
-Anki: Evita's sentence deck: 7/7 days
-Anki: Evita's vocab deck: 7/7 days
-Goblin (도깨비): episodes 9-10

German
-Harry Potter und der Halbblutprinz: chapter 3
-Dark: episode 2
-Easy German: 4 videos

Italian
-Wellesley's edx Italian Language and Culture Beginner Course: units 1.1-1.2

Italian
As you can see, my self-control in not adding Italian to everything else I'm doing didn't last very long. I had a bit of a stressful week (nothing really serious, just a lot of things in my life feeling overwhelming), and when I get overwhelmed like that, my self-control basically disappears. Which meant that I struggled to remember the reasons why I should hold off on Italian and decided to just go for it. I don't have a serious plan for Italian right now. I saw the edX Intro to Italian course mentioned in the Italian study group and in Stringerbell's log, so I decided to check it out, and I'm basically just doing parts of it whenever I have a few spare minutes and feel like it. If it gets to be too much for me, then I'll drop it. And definitely no more new languages for a LONG time.

I'm thinking I'll focus solely on the course, and then when I finish it, probably do the Language Transfer Intro to Italian course (holding off on it for now, though, because I'm really trying to focus on just one resource at a time with Italian since I really don't have time for much more than that). At that point, hopefully I'll have finished the Duolingo Spanish tree, and then I can switch out the Spanish tree for the Italian tree, and maybe also Practice Makes Perfect Complete Italian. If anyone has recommendations for other beginner Italian resources, I'm happy to hear about them. I tried looking through some Italian logs to get ideas, but most of the Italian logs seemed to be by people who were already at least intermediate or had some background in Italian, which I don't really. I plan on looking around a bit more myself to see if there are any other beginner resources that look good to me.

Anyways, I'm enjoying Italian so far. I have pretty much no active knowledge of Italian (anytime the course wants me to do any kind of production, I flounder a bit), but it's fun how much Italian I understand based on my background in Spanish and (to a lesser extent) French.

Spanish
Finished my rewatch of season 1 of Élite this week, and then finished season 2 as well. I mentioned last week that I struggled when watching the first season of the show for the first time last year, but I no longer have difficulties with it. That doesn't mean I never miss any words, of course, but I find the show much less difficult to follow. It's probably at least partially due to having become familiar with the actors' accents, but it's also partially genuine improvement in listening comprehension. My improvement in listening comprehension with Spanish this year has been very slow and gradual, but I feel like I've really been noticing my progress recently.

French:
I technically finished the last unit in Grammaire Progressive du Français Intermédiaire this week, but there are some additional listening comprehension exercises and one last wrap-up test at the back of the book that I want to complete, so the plan is to do that this week. Then I will finally be able to move on to the Practice Makes Perfect Verb Tenses workbook I optimistically bought back in the spring when I thought I was closer to the end of Grammaire Progressive than I really was.

German:
I'm not doing a lot in German every week, but I am already finding reading in German a bit easier. I've also been considering adding some grammar work even though I know I said I was going to try a pure reading/watching TV method. It's less because I feel like I really need a lot of grammar work and more just that I actually really enjoy completing grammar workbooks. I find them fun. I should probably get a better handle on my current rotation of language activities before I try adding even more, though. I was feeling fairly motivated this week and also in the mood to distract myself from my real life stress, but that won't be the case every week, and I don't want to regret it in a couple months when I'm suddenly not in the mood to do as much language work but feel obligated to and start feeling overwhelmed by it all. I did start watching some Easy German videos. I've watched some of them in the past for Spanish and French (not a lot, just a one or two every once in awhile), but I figured they could be useful to get just a little extra listening practice in for German. I don't have any set number I plan on watching per week or anything, I just plan on putting one on when I need something to listen to for 10-15 minutes when I'm getting ready in the morning or doing some chore around my apartment.
2 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: Taking a siesta from this site for the rest of 2024.

Postby lavengro » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:32 pm

brokenrecord wrote: -Dark: episode 1

Make sure your seat belt is done up tightly - it's a wild ride.
4 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

brokenrecord
Orange Belt

Postby brokenrecord » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:50 pm

lavengro wrote:
brokenrecord wrote: -Dark: episode 1

Make sure your seat belt is done up tightly - it's a wild ride.

I'm very excited for it! I've heard great things about the show, but I don't know any of the plot details (beyond the couple episodes I've watched now, of course), so it should be a fun experience.
0 x

brokenrecord
Orange Belt

Postby brokenrecord » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:56 pm

Spanish
-La sombra del viento: chapters 22-27
-Spanish newspapers: 6 articles
-FSI Basic Spanish: unit 28
-Practice Makes Perfect Complete Spanish: unit 22
-Duolingo: 623 -> 658 crowns (7/7 days)
-Los espookys: episodes 1-3

French
-Malronce: chapters 7-12
-French newspapers: 5 articles
-Buffy the Vampire Slayer: episode 80
-Practice Makes Perfect French Verbs: started unit 1
-Memrise: 7/7 days (4756/5000 items)
-Duolingo: 440 -> 447 crowns (28/28 days)

Korean
-How to Study Korean: unit 1.14
-Talk to Me in Korean: levels 2.29-2.31
-Talk to Me in Korean Level 2 Memrise: 7/7 days (226/226 items)
-Integrated Korean: finished chapter 4
-Goblin (도깨비): nothing

German
-Harry Potter und der Halbblutprinz: chapter 4
-Dark: episode 3
-Easy German: 4 videos

Italian
-Wellesley's edx Italian Language and Culture Beginner Course: unit 1.3

Bit of a mixed bag this week. I made good progress in some areas, but the week was also kind of stressful/busy for me, and I felt like I lacked the energy to do anything that required any mental effort by the end of it, so some things were a bit neglected. Then again, when I look up at the list of what I got done this week, I feel ridiculous for saying that, because even if I didn't get everything done I would've liked to in an ideal world, I still did a lot.

Spanish:
I started Los espookys this week. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a way to turn off English subtitles on HBOGo, so I've been doing my best to not let my eyes flick down to the subtitles, but I'm so used to watching things with subtitles in general that my eyes are trained to automatically shift to any words on the screen (even if I'm watching something in English with close captioning, I automatically will read the close captions), and I feel like forcing myself not to look at the subtitles is distracting me from actually paying attention to the show. There's also a fair amount of English dialogue in each episode. So I've decided to just finish the season (since there are only 3 more episodes, around 25 minutes each), not worrying about if I read the subtitles or not, but I'm not counting watching the show in my running total of how many hours of Spanish listening I've done this year. After I finish Los espookys, I'm not sure what I want to go to next. I should probably go back to La niña if I ever hope of finishing the show, since I'm not even to the halfway point, but I don't know if I'm in the mood for it. On the other hand, there's nothing else that looks more appealing at the moment, so I may take the path of least resistance and just go back to it.

I'm also getting closer to finishing Practice Makes Perfect Complete Spanish (3.5 units left, but at least two of them are pretty short), so I've been considering what to switch to when I finish. Right now I'm leaning towards Practice Makes Perfect Subjunctive. I feel more comfortable with the subjunctive than I did at the start of the year, but I could definitely do with more practice and reminders of different triggers for the subjunctive and all of that. And it's fairly cheap which also always a plus.

I've also been considering cutting down on the amount of time I spend on Spanish, maybe not immediately, but sometime in the near future, so I have some more time for other languages (namely, Italian and German, because while I'm not devoting a lot of time to them now, I will want to spend more time on them eventually). The reason I would choose Spanish to cut down on is that it's at the highest level of all my languages, and I am comfortable reading in it and watching Spanish TV shows, so while I do still have plenty of room to improve, if I never progressed from this point, I wouldn't be too upset. I just don't feel like I need to spend as much time on Spanish. So that makes sense, but then on the other hand, Spanish is probably my favorite of all the languages to learn. Like, if I was forced to focus on just one language and no others, I would choose Spanish. I've mentioned before that two years ago, I went on a trip to Berlin, and in the lead-up to that trip, I spent time watching TV shows and reading books in German to refresh my German skills, and at the time I didn't have a rotating schedule of languages or consistent language work (this was before I created my first language log here), so I just kind of did language work whenever I felt like it. So my plan at the time was to spend all my free time on German, but I kept getting tempted to go back to Spanish (even though at that time, my Spanish wasn't at a much higher level than my German, if at all). I ended up having to make myself a deal that I would only work on Spanish if I had done some German first. So all that's to say, I don't know if I'd even be able to cut back on Spanish if I tried. But we'll see. It's just something I've been thinking about.

French:
I didn't get around to finishing the listening comprehension exercises and final review test in Progressive Grammaire du Français this week, so I still plan on doing that at some point. I couldn't stop myself from starting Practice Makes Perfect Verb Tenses despite that, though. I've had it for months and have been eager to start it, and for whatever reason, I find conjugating verbs fun. But I will try to finish Progressive Grammaire du Français soon.

Korean:
I've been making decent progress with my Korean courses, but I stalled out a bit on Goblin. I watched the first 7 episodes or so before my vacation in August and was enjoying it, but when I got back from vacation and returned to the show, I found myself less into it. For one thing, it's hard to get past the age difference with the central romance (not just the actual age difference, but the fact that the main female characters seems so young/childish. I would have less of an issue if she were mid-20s, even though the age difference between that and an immortal being would still be huge). But I do enjoy the mythology a lot, and it's fun to see the romantic leads of Touch Your Heart as the secondary couple, so I do want to finish it.

German:
I'm not doing that much German per week, but I am already finding reading Harry Potter less of a challenge. I'm still having to look up plenty of words, but I think things are slowly coming back to me. I was also able to follow the last episode of Dark pretty well without subtitles, although I don't know how much of that was my comprehension improving and how much was just having a better idea of what the show is about and being able to pick up things from context.
2 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: Taking a siesta from this site for the rest of 2024.

Postby lavengro » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:30 pm

brokenrecord wrote: If anyone has recommendations for other beginner Italian resources, I'm happy to hear about them. I tried looking through some Italian logs to get ideas, but most of the Italian logs seemed to be by people who were already at least intermediate or had some background in Italian, which I don't really. I plan on looking around a bit more myself to see if there are any other beginner resources that look good to me.

Hi brokenrecord,

I like the beginner Italian resources you have mentioned; if you have an opportunity to add Pimsleur, I would recommend that as well (libraries often have at least Pimsleur 1 through 3 for major languages).

One thing I have just come across is the video-based Corso di italiano con Daniela, which I found just now on Yabla - I am three days into a trial of Yabla on a one month subscription ($17.95 Canadian; $less US funds). It seems unnecessarily luxurious to pay for learning resources for Italian given the huge variety of free resources, but I was really keen on working on my biggest weakness (understanding oral Italian) and Yabla offers some neat features, including optional Italian and English subtitles, clickable link to an online dictionary for unfamiliar words, the ability to manipulate the speed of playback without audio distortion and the "games" to drive in the material (especially "Scribe"). I am really liking it so far.

There is (at least presently) an opportunity to sample the first lesson of the 56 lesson series of videos in the Corso di italiano con Daniela without signing up, if you were interested in getting a taste (it is one of several "try it for free" videos). https://italian.yabla.com
2 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

brokenrecord
Orange Belt

Postby brokenrecord » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:51 pm

lavengro wrote:Hi brokenrecord,

I like the beginner Italian resources you have mentioned; if you have an opportunity to add Pimsleur, I would recommend that as well (libraries often have at least Pimsleur 1 through 3 for major languages).

One thing I have just come across is the video-based Corso di italiano con Daniela, which I found just now on Yabla - I am three days into a trial of Yabla on a one month subscription ($17.95 Canadian; $less US funds). It seems unnecessarily luxurious to pay for learning resources for Italian given the huge variety of free resources, but I was really keen on working on my biggest weakness (understanding oral Italian) and Yabla offers some neat features, including optional Italian and English subtitles, clickable link to an online dictionary for unfamiliar words, the ability to manipulate the speed of playback without audio distortion and the "games" to drive in the material (especially "Scribe"). I am really liking it so far.

There is (at least presently) an opportunity to sample the first lesson of the 56 lesson series of videos in the Corso di italiano con Daniela without signing up, if you were interested in getting a taste (it is one of several "try it for free" videos). https://italian.yabla.com

Thanks for your input! I've heard of Pimsleur before but never used it for any languages. It does look like my library has it. I'm not opposed to paying for Italian resources, but I'm also not a huge fan of adding subscription services right now (I'd rather just pay for something once and be done with it), so I'm not sure about Yabla, but I'll keep it in mind for when I expand my focus on Italian. Thanks again!
0 x

brokenrecord
Orange Belt

Postby brokenrecord » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:10 pm

Spanish
-La sombra del viento: chapters 28-31
-Spanish newspapers: 5 articles
-FSI Basic Spanish: unit 29
-Practice Makes Perfect Complete Spanish: units 23-24
-Duolingo: 658 -> 693 crowns (7/7 days)
-Los espookys: episodes 4-6

French
-Malronce: chapters 13-18
-French newspapers: 5 articles
-Buffy the Vampire Slayer: episodes 81-83
-Practice Makes Perfect French Verbs: part of unit 1
-Memrise: 7/7 days (4907/5000 items)
-Duolingo: 447 -> 455 crowns (7/7 days)

Korean
-How to Study Korean: started unit 1.15
-Talk to Me in Korean: levels 3.01-3.02
-Talk to Me in Korean Level 3 Memrise: 7/7 days (16/173 items)
-Integrated Korean: chapter 5
-Goblin (도깨비): episodes 11-12

German
-Harry Potter und der Halbblutprinz: chapter 5
-Dark: episode 4
-Easy German: 2 videos

Italian
-Wellesley's edx Italian Language and Culture Beginner Course: unit 1.4

Spanish:
I'm on track to finish Practice Makes Perfect Complete Spanish this week. I haven't bought anything to replace it yet, but I'm still leaning towards Practice Makes Perfect Spanish Subjunctive Up Close. I also finished Los espookys, which didn't do much for me listening comprehension-wise due to the English subtitles and the fact that most episodes had a significant amount of English dialogue. Like I said last week, I'm not really in the mood to return to La niña, but I also don't know what else to watch, which is part of why I didn't do any additional Spanish listening last week.

French:
I'm officially done with Progressive Grammaire du Français Intermédiaire. I think it was a good way to refresh my French grammar, but I don't like it quite as much as Gramática de Uso del Español, which I often see it compared to, in part because there are more open-ended exercises than in GdUdE, and I like having exercises with clear correct answers. I do plan on continuing with the Avancé (B1-B2) book, but I'm going to switch to Practice Makes Perfect for awhile since that series feels a bit more basic, and I'd like to do a little more work on my basics before I move on to more advanced/in-depth grammar. In terms of reading, I've been liking Malronce pretty well and making steady progress with it. I've been finding reading in French more comfortable than it was just a few months ago. I'm also on track to finish my French Memrise course this week, which I'm excited about. I haven't decided how long I'll continue the reviews for it. To be honest, even though I don't list them above, I still do the reviews for the Memrise courses for Korean From Zero and TTMIK Levels 1-2 even though I completed them months ago (well, except for TTMIK Level 2, which I just finished). They don't take too much time, and I can always do with extra review for Korean, but with French I shouldn't need as much review since there are so many cognates and I'm getting extra exposure through the all the reading I do. I'm thinking a month minimum and then I'll see how I feel. I know that I don't I want to still be doing the reviews past the end of this year, and I've also been considering replacing it with a German deck since I could use the extra reinforcement with German vocab.

Korean:
I'm past the halfway point in Integrated Korean and starting to make plans for when I've finished it. It's been mostly review, but there have been a couple grammar points I hadn't been exposed to before, and I like the number of exercises in the workbook that help me drill down concepts that I had been exposed to but didn't have a strong grasp on. While my goal with Korean is really just comprehension, it's fun to be given sentences in English and be able to translate them into Korean correctly. That's definitely not something I could've done at the start of this year! I still have Korean Grammar in Use Beginner, but I think I may end up working my way through the Integrated Korean Beginner 2 textbook and workbook before I try switching to that. I'm still probably roughly 4-6 weeks away from finishing Integrated Korean Beginner 1, in any case.

German:
Still doing very minimal German work, but I do feel like my comprehension both in reading and listening has been improving. When I rewatched an episode of Dark this week with German subtitles, I found that I didn't need to pause the episode to look up vocab nearly as frequently as I did with previous episodes. I do feel like I should be spending more time on German than I have been, but it's about all I can fit in, and it's nice that even with the little I'm doing, I'm still able to see some progress. I have been considering dropping reading Spanish newspaper articles (I don't feel like I really need the extra practice, and it's rare for me to need to look up more than 1 word maximum per article) and replacing them with reading German newspaper articles to get a little extra reading in each week.

Italian:
Struggling a bit to fit Italian in with everything else, and my motivation has gone down some, but I'm still enjoying it and have no plans of dropping it. My progress is just going to be very, very slow, which is fine. I like the edx beginner Italian course so far. I'm not worrying too much about getting all the vocab/grammar to stick because I figure that will come with time. I'm more focused on simply getting an overview of things and identifying commonalities and differences with Spanish and French for now.
1 x

Christi
Orange Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C1), German (B1), Korean (high A2-low B1?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=7574

Postby Christi » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:55 pm

I managed to finish watching Goblin, but I also felt uncomfortable about the age difference between the characters. If there had actually been any kissing or similar acts then I would have dropped it too.
Watching that show did make me wonder whether anyone in Korea has spoken up about that age difference or if it was just seen as a normal part of the plot.
2 x
2020 resolution words learned: 472 / 1000
Pages read at end of 2020: 220 / 1500

brokenrecord
Orange Belt

Postby brokenrecord » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:10 pm

Christi wrote:I managed to finish watching Goblin, but I also felt uncomfortable about the age difference between the characters. If there had actually been any kissing or similar acts then I would have dropped it too.
Watching that show did make me wonder whether anyone in Korea has spoken up about that age difference or if it was just seen as a normal part of the plot.

I'm glad it's not just me! I lurk on the kdrama subreddit to find kdramas that might interest me, and I think I remember seeing a couple people bring up the age difference bothering them, but most people seemed to love the series and didn't mention it. I think the show is interesting, and I like the relationships between the Goblin and the Reaper, and the Reaper and Sunny, but I cringe a bit whenever there's anything romantic between the Goblin and his bride. I do wonder how it was received in Korea.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”