You know you're a language nerd when…

General discussion about learning languages
golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Re: You know you're a language nerd when…

Postby golyplot » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:50 pm

When you go to a major tourist area, you count the number of foreign languages you hear. And you follow one group around for a while because you're having trouble deciding whether they are speaking German or Dutch.

Also, when you see someone speaking a language you don't recognize, you ask them which it is so you can add it to the list of languages to learn.
10 x

tacerto1018
Yellow Belt
Languages: MA - French
Currently studying - Icelandic
Studied in the past to different levels - Portuguese, Norwegian, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Japanese, Dutch, German
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=15400

Postby tacerto1018 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:54 pm

Ogrim wrote:When you are at a cash machine in Valencia, Spain, which gives you the option to choose between seven languages (Spanish, Catalan, Valencian, Basque, English, French, German), and you spend so long wondering which language to choose that your timed out and your card is returned.

When the second time you try, you quickly choose Valencian, withdraw your money, and then put the card back in a third time to choose Catalan, just to see what the difference is between the instructions in Valencian and Catalan.

Likewise when you get a new bottle of shampoo, spending 10 minutes reading all the languages out loud. Or better yet AN IKEA INSTRUCTION MANUEL. They have absolutely everything, even CA French vs EU.
8 x

Neurotip
Green Belt
Languages: eng N; ita & fra B2+, ell & deu B2-, ísl B1 (spa & swe A2?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9850

Postby Neurotip » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:47 pm

tacerto1018 wrote:Likewise when you get a new bottle of shampoo, spending 10 minutes reading all the languages out loud.

Yes! You know you were already a language nerd as a child when, as an adult, you still remember what the backs of your parents' shampoo bottles said in languages you did not then speak.

It was a revelation to me as a young adult when it dawned on me that 'The Best a Man Can Get', 'För män som väljer rätt' and 'Parasta miehelle' did not all mean the same thing...
7 x
Corrections welcome here

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt
Languages: Uses daily : Français (heritage) English
Reads : Castellano, Català, Italiano, Lingua Latina
Studying: Українська мова, Ελληνικά
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4860

Postby PfifltriggPi » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:57 pm

... When you present someone with a list of reasons why learning Kazakh would be a good idea.
... You're having a written conversation in Portuguese, despite having never studied Portuguese.
... You happen to know of a university in your country which offers courses in Estonian.
... You're trying to decide where you want to study abroad in Italy, and part of what impacts your decision is proximity to Switzerland, so you could hop on a northbound train to go buy some Romansh books.
... All five of the courses you're taking at uni are languages, and yet you're still trying to teach yourself another on the side.
... You regularly try to read Dante en VO despite having just started Italian in June.
... You regularly have to stop and think about how to pronounce the character <H>.
7 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.

"Зброя - слово." - Леся Українка

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:25 pm

PfifltriggPi wrote:... All five of the courses you're taking at uni are languages, and yet you're still trying to teach yourself another on the side.

Reminds me of one of my classmates in my college German class who said he was studying 7 languages. It sounded very impressive at the time.
3 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:39 pm

... you yell at your kids in one language and they try to placate you in another.

(Children for sale, used but batteries still working.)
13 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

sporedandroid
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (heritage/intermediate), Hebrew (A2-B1)

Postby sporedandroid » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:31 am

You do cloze tests in a bunch of different languages for fun or even know what a cloze test is.
4 x

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:27 am

You want to stay longer at Romano's Macaroni Grill because they teach Italian phrases over the sound system in the restroom.
5 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:06 pm

Teango wrote:You want to stay longer at Romano's Macaroni Grill because they teach Italian phrases over the sound system in the restroom.

"Your Honour, I was loitering for educational purposes."
9 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:58 pm

...You evaluate the quality of an instruction manual insert by how many languages it has.

...You discover that an insert has instructions both in American English and British English, and you spend several minutes comparing the two.

...You know which coworkers would also be fascinated, and give them the inserts for their enjoyment.
8 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Return to “General Language Discussion”