Am I truly understanding French? Listening Comprehension

General discussion about learning languages
issemiyaki
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N); Spanish (Fluent); French (Fluent); Russian (hoping to reach fluency his year!)

Am I truly understanding French? Listening Comprehension

Postby issemiyaki » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:07 pm

Am I really understanding what's being said when I watch French TV?

I can follow what's happening in soap operas like Demain Nous Appartient with greater ease than before. (But don't get me wrong, there are still spots where I'm like: "What was that?" But on the whole, I don't feel nearly as lost as before.)

I ALSO don't feel the need to translate every word. I recognize the words and my brain decodes the message (for the most part).

I also notice that, nowadays, most French programs hold my interest for longer periods of time (regardless of the subject).

So, does this heightened interest mean I am really starting to understand what's being said in French? Or am I in a false sense of understanding because I've simply become used to hearing certain words, phrases and expressions over and over?

Look forward to your comments.
3 x

sporedandroid
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (heritage/intermediate), Hebrew (A2-B1)

Re: Am I truly understanding French? Listening Comprehension

Postby sporedandroid » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:10 am

Maybe watch a bit of French things with English subtitles to see if you’re missing anything. When I watch Spanish things with English subtitles I sometimes realize how much I’m missing. If I just listen to Spanish without subtitles I can kind of gloss over things and not realize I’m missing stuff or get confused listening to something and not realize how many words I don’t know.
1 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:12 am

issemiyaki wrote:Am I really understanding what's being said when I watch French TV?

So, does this heightened interest mean I am really starting to understand what's being said in French? Or am I in a false sense of understanding because I've simply become used to hearing certain words, phrases and expressions over and over?

I would answer 'yes' to both questions. Though I would not say "false," exactly. Other TV shows will present different challenges because there will be different words, different situations, and different voices. But I would be encouraged, nevertheless, because you understand more and more of what you hear.
4 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:46 pm

How could it be a false impression, if you really understand majority of what is being said and in detail?

Yes, you hear a lot of expressions and voices and situations over and over. That is the point of watching a tv series and not just a bunch of random short videos. That is the main strength of this genre.

But of course, you will need to get used to your next series for a while and you may feel as if you've lost a bit of your ability at first. That is normal. With each new series, with every opportunity to leave your comfort zone, you will get used to the new situation faster and faster.

You are not under some false impression, neither you are perfect yet (probably). You are progressing very well, congratulations!
3 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”