Classical Languages - Study Group

An area with study groups for various languages. Group members help each other, share resources and experience. Study groups are permanent but the members rotate and change.
PfifltriggPi
Green Belt
Languages: Uses daily : Français (heritage) English
Reads : Castellano, Català, Italiano, Lingua Latina
Studying: Українська мова, Ελληνικά
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4860

Re: Classical Languages - Study Group

Postby PfifltriggPi » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:43 pm

Ooo, that cover looks really nice. And they have audio too? Well, well, well, perhaps I shall have to learn OE sooner rather than later.
1 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.

"Зброя - слово." - Леся Українка

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:56 pm

PfifltriggPi wrote:Ooo, that cover looks really nice. And they have audio too? Well, well, well, perhaps I shall have to learn OE sooner rather than later.

Yes, the audio is apparently online, though I haven't sampled it yet - unsure if it's just the new chapters recorded or a complete re-recording of the book. The quality of the first edition's recordings is very good, though.
1 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:23 am

David1917 wrote:Yesterday arrived the new version of Teach Yourself Old English by Mark Atherton that I foolishly pre-ordered awhile back. It is actually a great expansion upon the old book by Atherton. The first has 20 chapters, the new one has those same 20 plus four more chock full of readings. The glossary contains about 800-1,000 more words, which would ideally make it all the more useful when moving beyond the textbook into other OE materials. The book is larger and laid out a lot more like a college textbook (including the more asinine types of "self-assessment" checklists at the end of each chapter), which could make it a little easier to use and lay open on a desk than the older one. It's an odd instance of TYS expanding a previous offering, rather than minimizing. I'm excited to finally finish the course, especially now with some new material to work with!

Just got mine too. I announced in my log that I'll be doing an OE mini-challenge over Christmas, probably starting around 17 December or so. This book will be the main text. You're welcome to join me (and @Mista?!), if you wish.
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:54 am

IronMike wrote:
David1917 wrote:Yesterday arrived the new version of Teach Yourself Old English by Mark Atherton that I foolishly pre-ordered awhile back. It is actually a great expansion upon the old book by Atherton. The first has 20 chapters, the new one has those same 20 plus four more chock full of readings. The glossary contains about 800-1,000 more words, which would ideally make it all the more useful when moving beyond the textbook into other OE materials. The book is larger and laid out a lot more like a college textbook (including the more asinine types of "self-assessment" checklists at the end of each chapter), which could make it a little easier to use and lay open on a desk than the older one. It's an odd instance of TYS expanding a previous offering, rather than minimizing. I'm excited to finally finish the course, especially now with some new material to work with!

Just got mine too. I announced in my log that I'll be doing an OE mini-challenge over Christmas, probably starting around 17 December or so. This book will be the main text. You're welcome to join me (and @Mista?!), if you wish.

That could work. I have had barely any time for languages since starting grad school, and I assume that around that first week of December I'm going to a) take a 36 hour nap and b) go ape on languages. I am, however, working on a research proposal on The Saxon Myth as part of the American Revolutionary ideology, and Jefferson's love of languages/OE in particular (he tried to get William & Mary to have a professorship in Old English, but was denied - when he chartered UVA, they had OE right from the start.) That is, of course, in addition to other research projects which will involve the use of Russian, German, & French.
1 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:52 am

I suppose I should actually join this group. I'm currently studying Biblical Hebrew. I have, not so shockingly, more textbooks than I need, but have decided to focus on using The Guide To Lashon Hakodesh Volume 1. I finished chapter 4 of 16 and would like to do a chapter every few days with the goal of getting through the whole text by Rosh Hashanah, the first full day of which is Sept 30th this year. There's a second volume of the book that focuses on verbs which I might get - might. It would be more responsible of me to make that decision when I'm 75% of the way through volume one as opposed to a quarter of the way ;)

I personally am not especially concerned with able to write in Biblical Hebrew which one reason why the above book is a good fit for me. All of the exercises involve translating Hebrew into English.
5 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:44 pm

PfifltriggPi wrote:Ooo, that cover looks really nice. And they have audio too? Well, well, well, perhaps I shall have to learn OE sooner rather than later.

I'm doing an OE mini-challenge over Christmas using this text. You're welcome to join. More in my log.
1 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:30 pm

I might be down to really doing anything in OE one day a year, and that day was yesterday...

For something I read annually I’ve forgotten a lot. Maybe I should join this mini-challenge...
1 x

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt
Languages: Uses daily : Français (heritage) English
Reads : Castellano, Català, Italiano, Lingua Latina
Studying: Українська мова, Ελληνικά
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4860

Postby PfifltriggPi » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:20 pm

I was going on my usual tangent about the importance of knowing the entire history of a linguistic tradition (I have two versions of this, one to get French students to read Old French, and one to get classicists to read anything in Greek written after 504AD, although getting either of those groups to read anything written in those languages is hard enough as it is, but I digress), when someone pointed out to me that I myself cannot read Old English. I should probably do something about that.
3 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.

"Зброя - слово." - Леся Українка

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Tested:

Postby IronMike » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:56 pm

Alright! OK, so listing people here who have expressed interest. THIS DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE TO DO THIS. This is simply so I have a post to go back to when the time comes to message all of you.

Those who are interested in the Old English mini-challenge:
IronMike
David1917
Mista
PfifltriggPi
Systematiker
lavengro

Again, I've included even those who said they probably wouldn't have time or couldn't commit just yet. I just want to make sure I know who to contact as the time gets close.
3 x
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:02 am

I'm pretty tempted. I have the previous version of Teach Yourself Old English sitting on my bookshelf. But I'm too impulsive to be able to plan my language learning months in advance. So I guess we'll just have to see what I'm doing when the time comes. You can put me down as a definite maybe.
3 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Return to “Study Groups”