LLorg East Coast ~2023~

Discuss the LLORG's and HTLAL forum's past and its future here.
jonm
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv.)
Bangla (int.)
French (passive)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9402

Re: LLorg East Coast ~2019~

Postby jonm » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:26 pm

Xenops wrote:Alright, fall is almost here! :ugeek:

I will be in Japan from October 13-29. The following week might be good for meetups for me, because I took one week off to get used to American time. November weekends work as well. I might take a seminar the weekend of November 24th, but that has yet to be decided.

Anyone game? :)

That's so cool that you're heading to Japan! And you're gonna attend the Polyglot Conference?

I'll probably be in Myanmar for the month of November, so wouldn't be able to do a meetup then, but please go ahead without me if that's the most convenient time for everyone. Or if timing is flexible, I'm mostly free before and after. In September or early October, we could maybe sit and chat outside somewhere.

Definitely up for a Boston area meetup if I'm around.

Montreal appeals as well, would be tentatively interested especially if roadtripping was an option.
2 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:27 pm

I will try. My fall so far looks free except for second weekend in October (F-M). And of course work can always insert itself to change my schedule.
2 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

David27
Green Belt
French, Spanish (advanced)
Russian, Portuguese, Italian, German (proficient)
Mandarin, Japanese, Dutch (low-intermediate)
Latin, Polish: (beginner)
Abandoned languages (for now) :( Greek, Czech, Bengali, Arabic, Norwegian

Postby David27 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:02 am

I may be able to. I’m in New York. I have a lot of weekends free... but also depends on what the wife has planned and if work things come up. I would love to go to Montreal, but in November maybe staying south of the border would be better for us weather wise. I could potentially catch a train or bus to Boston.
2 x

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:05 am

No promises but there's a good chance I could swing by for a couple hours if it's in Boston. As much as I would love to visit Montréal, my wee one is still a bit too wee for me to take that long of a trip.
2 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:26 am

I’m....now on the West Coast, so guess I’m out
0 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:11 pm

jonm wrote:That's so cool that you're heading to Japan! And you're gonna attend the Polyglot Conference?

I'll probably be in Myanmar for the month of November, so wouldn't be able to do a meetup then, but please go ahead without me if that's the most convenient time for everyone. Or if timing is flexible, I'm mostly free before and after. In September or early October, we could maybe sit and chat outside somewhere.

Definitely up for a Boston area meetup if I'm around.

Montreal appeals as well, would be tentatively interested especially if roadtripping was an option.

Thank you. :) Originally I was going to the conference, but then I thought "I live in a city with multilingual strangers. Why would I spend precious Japan time with more multilingual strangers?" I will only be in Japan for two short weeks—I can meet new polyglot people at home.

Meeting with you guys is more fun, because I "know" you and have met some of you before. :D

Looks like Boston gets the most votes! Works for me. ;) How does September sound?

Quoting so they see:

Ani wrote:

emk wrote:
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

jonm
Orange Belt
Spanish (adv.)
Bangla (int.)
French (passive)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9402

Postby jonm » Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:03 pm

Xenops wrote:Thank you. :) Originally I was going to the conference, but then I thought "I live in a city with multilingual strangers. Why would I spend precious Japan time with more multilingual strangers?" I will only be in Japan for two short weeks—I can meet new polyglot people at home.

Meeting with you guys is more fun, because I "know" you and have met some of you before. :D

That makes a lot of sense. It's cool how at the last meetup, folks meeting you for the first time could recognize you by the Japanese for Everyone book you'd be reading, and I remember chatting with you about Japanese and how you were hoping to go (back, if I remember right?) to Japan, and now the trip is a reality. :D

Xenops wrote:Looks like Boston gets the most votes! Works for me. ;) How does September sound?

September sounds great to me!
1 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:07 am

Well it's already September :) let's be more specific...

This is back to school month for me so not going to be easy. I'm going to Quebec the first weekend in October I think.. I might be able to sneak in Boston for one of the later weekends of September...
3 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt
Languages: Uses daily : Français (heritage) English
Reads : Castellano, Català, Italiano, Lingua Latina
Studying: Українська мова, Ελληνικά
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4860

Postby PfifltriggPi » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:34 pm

One of the later weekends in Septembre could work for me as well. I'm at university about an hour and a half north, and could hop on the train. Sundays I go down to the city anyways (I'm on aforementioned train now) to attend church, so I'd be very available Sunday afternoon, since I kind of have to sit around for a while anyways waiting for the train back.
2 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.

"Зброя - слово." - Леся Українка

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:04 pm

jonm wrote:That makes a lot of sense. It's cool how at the last meetup, folks meeting you for the first time could recognize you by the Japanese for Everyone book you'd be reading, and I remember chatting with you about Japanese and how you were hoping to go (back, if I remember right?) to Japan, and now the trip is a reality. :D

Second time. :D Got my JRail Pass in the mail last week. So excited!

How about the weekend of the 28th-29th for September? Do people prefer Saturday or Sunday? My assumption has been that Saturdays are easier for people that work? Either works for me. 8-)
3 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Return to “LLORG & HTLAL discussion area”