Poeticsteph's Sranan Tongo Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
poeticsteph
White Belt
Languages: Current: English (N), Portuguese (C1), Dutch (A2), Sranan Tongo (A1)

Future: Saramaccan, Ndyuka, Galician, Haitian Creole (A2), Cape Verdean Creole (A2)

Past: French, Spanish (varied levels), Italian, Latin, Mauritian Creole, Guarani, Lingala, Swahili, Yoruba, Afrikaans, Swedish, Japanese, Bulgarian, Hungarian

Poeticsteph's Sranan Tongo Log

Postby poeticsteph » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:42 am

Background: I am an American currently in Suriname, which has the official language Dutch and the lingua franca Sranan Tongo. Many people in Paramaribo speak English, Dutch, and Sranan Tongo. There are also a lot of Portuguese speakers here (which is good, as I've dedicated years to learning/maintaining that language) and a variety of Maroon languages such as Saramaccan and Ndyuka. A friend of mine who is 22 fluently speaks English, Dutch, Sranan Tongo, Ndyuka, and is studying French, Spanish, and Portuguese - which really makes me feel like a dumb American at 40!

Method: I have asked around about people willing to teach me Sranan Tongo, one teacher/tutor will be back in town in a few days and another will be back in town in November! (Due to being an American, I have to basically leave the country every 90 days and then get restamped in. We'll see how that works for me, but that's another story.) I have Dutch tutors/teachers from the Netherlands from sites like Verbling and Preply, and while one knows some Sranan Tongo speakers in Amsterdam I still have not found a tutor. My friend is not a teacher, though I have checked pronunciation with her.

Thus, I am using the Peace Corps Sranan Language Course on LiveLingua https://www.livelingua.com/course/peace-corps/Sranan_Language_Lessons/. Every day. The recommendation is 30 minutes, but with maintaining my Portuguese and intensively studying Dutch (I may start a separate log for Dutch) it's hard to do. I usually do 15 minutes, sometimes more or less.

Start Date: I officially started the course on August 4th, after attending a Winti "prey" with my friend and her cousin - which was held entirely in Sranan Tongo. I have a LONG time interest in African traditional religions, and only being able to understand bits and pieces of the songs and people's conversations basically kicked me in the butt to study it. (Hence why I used to study Haitian Creole pretty steadily, but that's probably going to stay on the backburner for now.)

Progress: I know some basic greetings and can "answer" the dialogue exercises. I review old material pretty steadily and am pretty comfortable with Lessons 1 and 2. I am still mastering Lesson 3 and just starting Lesson 4. My friend says my pronunciation is good. She briefly reviewed the Peace Corps material and said it is accurate.

If anyone else is studying (or interested in studying) this English-based Creole (though I find it has a lot of Portuguese, Spanish, Dutch, and African words), please let me know! I will keep this log as current as possible.
Last edited by poeticsteph on Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
15 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: Poeticsteph's Sranan Tongo Log

Postby iguanamon » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:21 pm

Welcome to the forum, Poeticsteph! It's nice to have someone else on the forum who lives near the Caribbean region, speaks Portuguese and is learning a Creole language. We have a lot in common in our languages. Ironically, I'm around 1,000 or so miles northwest of you, but "I can't get there from here" easily unless I were to sail to Paramaribo. I'd probably have to fly to Miami first to get there from the Virgin Islands... and then fly right back over my home island.

Sranan Tongo has been a language I have had interest in learning for a long time. I've always wanted to visit Suriname! Ironically, many years ago when I was learning Portuguese, one of my Brazilian language exchange partners said she had learned her English in Paramaribo. She said she loved the funky, "other worldliness" and cultural diversity of the town.

There are indeed limited resources available for learning the language. Still, I have managed to collect some materials... not much... but perhaps they would be sufficient to get a decent foundation and perhaps even get to a low intermediate stage.

The Peace Corps course looks to be a good, solid introduction. I also downloaded an English-Sranan bilingual dictionary, the Nyun Testamenti of the Bible with audio available on Faith Comes By Hearing (scroll for Sranan, it's a huge file size to download). The sil.org site has a number of resources including the phrase dictionary called Wakaman Buku. Wakaman Buku has phrases and vocabulary arranged by topics that include basic useful phrases, getting your car repaired, talking about yourself, asking questions about another language, etc. The book is a 154 page pdf with multilingual phrases in Saramaccan, Sranan Tongo, Dutch, French and English.

Sil.org - Summer Institute of Linguistics also has several basic readers with folktales, which is one of the ways I like to gain vocabulary, grammar and cultural knowledge. I downloaded 13 of them. Combine all of these resources with a dictionary plus living in country with help from native-speakers, and you should be able to get to basic fluency fairly quickly.

Having experience with learning an Afro-Caribbean Creole language will definitely help you. As well, you'll have help from both English and Portuguese cognates. Being right there in Suriname is a huge plus! I also have collected some Saramaccan resources along the way. It is related to Sranan and I think it would be an easy pick-up after getting to a good level in ST.

I may join you in learning the language next year. I will definitely be following along with great interest! If I can help, please let me know.
8 x

poeticsteph
White Belt

Future: Saramaccan, Ndyuka, Galician, Haitian Creole (A2), Cape Verdean Creole (A2)

Past: French, Spanish (varied levels), Italian, Latin, Mauritian Creole, Guarani, Lingala, Swahili, Yoruba, Afrikaans, Swedish, Japanese, Bulgarian, Hungarian

Postby poeticsteph » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:26 am

Today I spent about 20 minutes working with the Peace Corps material as well as listening to some of the music I recorded at the Winti "prey."

I spent lots of time lost in the SIL site that iguanamon recommended, downloading not just Sranan Tongo materials but Saramaccan, Ndyuka, and several Brazilian languages. :)
2 x

poeticsteph
White Belt

Postby poeticsteph » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:56 am

Thursday: 26 minutes with Sranan Tongo audio Bible and the Peace Corps course

Friday: 16 minutes with Sranan Tongo audio/text Bible and the Peace Corps course

Saturday: 29 minutes with Bible stories/songs and the Peace Corps course

Yes, it’s ironic and possibly hypocritical etc. to be using Christian resources when my main motivation
for learning this language is the Winti religion, but I was raised with the Bible. Thus, I know it pretty well. And Sranan Tongo doesn’t have a wealth of resources. Thanks iguanamon for the idea. In my many years of language learning, the Bible as a resource never dawned on me.

I feel slight progress. Again, my time is currently limited. I was not going to take on a second language to study - as Dutch and maintaining my Portuguese are vital - but I couldn’t resist. :)
2 x

poeticsteph
White Belt

Postby poeticsteph » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:47 pm

Sorry it's been a few days since my update; I'm trying to spend more time learning Sranan Tongo, Dutch, and studying my Portuguese rather than talking about it!

I've made a few Anki decks using some of the material from the Peace Corps course and may do so using some of the Bible recordings. I know some people don't like SRS, but with a lesser-studied language such as Sranan Tongo I feel it's something I need to do; this of course requires creating decks. I thought about creating some for Sranan Tongo-Dutch or Sranan Tongo-Portuguese, but it's time-consuming enough as it is.

Sunday: Sranan Tongo Peace Corps course (10 minutes); read/listened to Matthew 5 in the Bible (five minutes)

Monday: Sranan Tongo Peace Corps course (eight minutes); read/listened to Matthew 3-5 (15 minutes)

Tuesday: Made Sranan Tongo Anki deck/studied it (hard to track time on this one)

Wednesday: Sranan Tongo Peace Corps course (10 minutes)

Thursday: Made new Sranan Tongo Anki deck/studied decks; read/listened to Matthew 6-7 (10 minutes)

Friday: Read/listened to Matthew 7-8 (10 minutes); Sranan Tongo Peace Corps course (10 minutes); added cards to Anki deck/studied it

I am retaining more words and also recognizing more bits in the conversations I hear when out and about in Paramaribo. :)

Stephanie
4 x

poeticsteph
White Belt

Postby poeticsteph » Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:36 pm

I have found a good resource for Sranan Tongo learning and the learning of other "minority" languages in which I am interested in for the future (i.e. Saramaccan and Ndyuka/Aukaans/Eastern Maroon Creole).

https://www.jesusfilm.org/search.html?q=Sranan-Tongo

Again, I am somewhat amused that I am using Christian resources to improve my learning of a language that I'm primarily learning for the Winti religion — but as mentioned before, I have plenty of familiarity with the Bible, its teachings, and I'm not OPPOSED to the Word itself (just the way too many "Christians" I've met act; I will stop commenting on that now to avoid being political).

This site has MANY languages, and numerous videos/movies for Sranan Tongo. I am currently watching the "Jesus" film. There are no subtitles, so how did I approach this?

I watched the first 11 minutes in Guyanese Creole (similar to English; I am not actively studying this but have interest) and then watched that same section later that day in Sranan Tongo.

So, I'm able to pick up a decent amount of what's happening.
2 x

poeticsteph
White Belt

Postby poeticsteph » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:57 pm

Yesterday I watched 11 minutes of the "Jesus" film in Sranan Tongo, watched/listened to music from a Winti ceremony for 6 minutes, studied the Peace Corps course for 7 minutes, and used Anki. :)

I am retaining more of the words using Anki, so that's good!

Stephanie
1 x

poeticsteph
White Belt

Postby poeticsteph » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:50 pm

Just checking in; I have been pretty busy lately but creating daily time (even bits) for Sranan Tongo as well as continuing Dutch studies and maintaining my Portuguese.

Here's what I've done for Sranan Tongo the last few days:

Sunday: Anki (hard to track time); read/listened to Matthew 9 (7 minutes)
Monday: Anki (hard to track time); read/listened to Matthew 10 (10 minutes)
Tuesday: Anki (hard to track time)
Wednesday: Peace Corps course (15 minutes); read/listened to Matthew 11 (6 minutes)
Thursday: Anki (hard to track time)

I find myself understanding a lot more and hesitantly trying out some phrases with my friends/cab drivers.

Stephanie
3 x

poeticsteph
White Belt

Postby poeticsteph » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:45 pm

Here's more of my progress. The words/phrases are sticking more and more, and I understand what I hear better.

Friday: Anki (hard to track time); Peace Corps course (10 minutes); read/listened to Matthew 12 in Sranan Tongo (9 minutes)
Saturday: Anki (hard to track time); read/listened to Matthew 13 in Sranan Tongo (10 minutes)
Sunday: Peace Corps course (12 minutes)
Monday: Anki (hard to track time); Peace Corps course (5 minutes)
Tuesday: Anki (hard to track time); Peace Corps course (14 minutes); read/listened to Matthew 14 in Sranan Tongo (5 minutes)

I wish I could devote more time, but with maintaining Portuguese (vital to me, as I want C1/C2 fluency for life), improving Dutch, work, and school it's hard enough to study as is.

Stephanie
Last edited by poeticsteph on Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

poeticsteph
White Belt

Postby poeticsteph » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:51 am

So, the reading/listening to the Bible method seems to be working.

I guessed that "yepi" meant "help" and it is not anything close to any of the myriad languages I've studied (casually or seriously).

I am pretty pleased with myself.

Today, I did the following:

1) Read/listened to Matthew 15 (6 minutes)
2) Peace Corps course (8 minutes)
3) Started watching "Magdalena" movie (5 minutes); wish it had captions. (You can find it in 187 languages at https://www.jesusfilm.org/watch/magdalena.html/magdalena-director-cut/sranan-tongo.html)
3) Anki (hard to time)

I would like to devote time to making more Anki cards or another deck this week as well. :)

Stephanie
3 x

Return to “Language logs”