Crosstalk: Have you ever tried it?

General discussion about learning languages
Hashimi
Green Belt

Re: Crosstalk: Have you ever tried it?

Postby Hashimi » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:45 am

Elsa Maria wrote:Is the crosstalk any good for my Danish? I don't know.

Certainly. It's kind of an interactive input, you can direct this input to suit your needs. If you don't understand a point, you can ask for a clarification, you can be be sure that you understand this input 100%. You can't do this if your input is traditional listening or reading.

By the way, many parents who are raising bilingual children do crosstalk. Each speak his or her own language, and they get used to it even when their children are not listening to them.
0 x

Cenwalh
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (acquiring).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10301

Re: Crosstalk: Have you ever tried it?

Postby Cenwalh » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:17 pm

StringerBell wrote:
Sahmilat wrote:The problem with this is that it doesn't give you any input. You'll get better at speaking, but you won't really "learn" anything new. Obviously this is a good exercise, but it isn't a substitute for the large amount of input needed to learn a language.

Why would doing a language exchange mean that you can't continue to get input from other sources? In the case of my Italian LEP, we are both getting TONS of input from reading, TV shows, podcasts, etc... Getting input on your own is a really easy thing to do. So I don't see why it would be a problem, unless one were learning a language that has practically zero media and speaking with a native speaker was the only way to get any input.

I think the idea of cross talk is that you get comprehensible input from the very beginning which is very hard to come by for most languages
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”