Persian definite and indefinite articles, or lack thereof

General discussion about learning languages
AML
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Persian definite and indefinite articles, or lack thereof

Postby AML » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:42 pm

I'm a bit confused about definite ("the") and indefinite ("a", "an") articles in Persian. My basic understanding is that Persian does not have articles and that definite/indefiniteness is implied via context. But I've also read about the suffix -i, which can be added to make indefiniteness clear. Is this true, and is it used in both writing and speaking? Also, are there other ways to make definite/indefiniteness clear? Please help clarify this topic. Much appreciated.
0 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Re: Persian definite and indefinite articles, or lack thereof

Postby vonPeterhof » Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:18 pm

I don't really know about the Persian of Iran, but in Afghanistan indefiniteness of singular nouns is often marked by putting yak (literally "one") before the noun. There's also a way of distinguishing definiteness of direct objects, with definite ones marked with the accusative marker -rā (-ra in the colloquial language) and indefinite ones unmarked (a similar system exists in some Turkic languages and in Hebrew, even though it also has a definite article).
0 x

白田龍
Orange Belt
Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, French, Persian, Arabic, Mandarin, Japanese.

Postby 白田龍 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:18 am

0 x

AML
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Postby AML » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:08 pm

Yep, I have John Mace, but what I'm asking is beyond that, because I basically repeated what he wrote.
0 x

白田龍
Orange Belt
Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, French, Persian, Arabic, Mandarin, Japanese.

Postby 白田龍 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:31 pm

This presentation is confusing, but focus on the examples:

https://jasbi.github.io/research/jasbi_ ... NACIL1.pdf

the -e definite suffix is never used in formal Persian, and I think it is not very frequent in colloquial speech, but you hear it sometimes.

This gave me a headache:
https://d-nb.info/1079901191/34
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”